Unlikely Heroes

Swally

We can all make a list of Rangers players who were world class in a very real sense, and those who were absolutely pivotal in us gaining the honours we have.

But I wanted to see which players of our past, who may not belong in both the world-class and pivotal player category have endeared themselves to the fans.

For me it's Neil McCann, I absolutely love the wee man. 

I thought he was a great little player, energetic, tenacious, fast, brave.  He also didn't shy away in the company of some really really good players, if anything that seemed to drive him on.

After retiring, he has endeared himself to me even more. He clearly loves the club and looks on fondly on his time playing for Rangers.

He shows his class in his punditry, and really has shown up some of the ex Rangers players whom you'd think would have defended us in the media.

Maybe the word "unlikely"  is too strong a word regarding the hero status of McCann. But I simply wanted to remember important or cult players who do not get banded about in best Rangers player threads etc.

Which player would you pick?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God almighty where do I start, ok here goes, but I'll definitely have to come back to this, Alex McDonald, Dave Smith, Willie  Mathieson, Bobby Russell, Tom Forsyth, Gordon Smith, Stuart Monroe, Davie Robertson, John Brown, Dave McPherson (I liked the big fella and he contributed), that will do to start with.

2 minutes ago, Swally said:

Really? 

Thought I was the only one that thought he was decent 

blew hot and cold right enough 

I think he was decent too. We were considerably weaker last season selinf him and replacing with Ojo. 

8 minutes ago, Swally said:

Really? 

Thought I was the only one that thought he was decent 

blew hot and cold right enough 

I thought he had a lot to offer and he seemed to love being here but completely understandable that he wanted to be playing games

Absolute workhorse

Archived