Unlikely Heroes

Swally

2 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

First name that came into my head when I read the thread title 

unsung hero mate, in a team of superstars and he was always first name on the teamsheet. His position was never threatened. Nothing fancy just got on with the job.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary McSwegan against Marseille is probably one of the best introductions I have seen at Ibrox by a relatively unknown?

Do you mean impact or longevity ? in that case Broadfoot would rank right up there, signed as half decent CB to then go onto win titles, cups and compete in C L games and play in a European final and if that is not enough to score on your international debut within 3 years, that is the stuff of wildest dreams (or just the Walter Smith effect 😉

7 minutes ago, semaj said:

unsung hero mate, in a team of superstars and he was always first name on the teamsheet. His position was never threatened. Nothing fancy just got on with the job.

SM's position was constantly threatened, we signed a few higher ranked names as I recall but he just brushed aside all threats with consistent performances.

Cannigia is an unlikely hero. Pops up at Dundee and we step in to take him in his mid 30s. More than repaid the faith we had in him.

Elsewhere Lovenkrands is an unlikely hero as he was brought in with a ton of other players and most of them forward players. Took him time to get a chance but he certainly took it.

Haven’t read the whole thread so these have probably been mentioned. 

Sasa Papac. Signed by PLG as a centre half, converted to left back under Smith and ended up one of, if not the most, consistent players we’ve ever had. Don’t think anyone would’ve predicted the contribution he would go on to make. 

Marvin Andrews. Part of Helicopter Sunday. Enough said. 

Both the unlikeliest of unlikely heroes IMO. 

Jimmy Millar, signed as a half back in 1955 from Dunfermline for £5000 or thereabouts, Scot Symon made him a centre forward, he scored 169  goals in 330 games and had a great partnership with Ralph Brand. A great never say die attitude in every game.

6 hours ago, holdnudgehold said:

Shota Averladze. As good a finisher as any Rangers have had. Very under appreciated in the way dzeko and giroud seem to be in their careers. Look at his career stats.  Pretty amazing.

I loved shota mate, just too similar in appearance to Mr Bean

Archived