Jon Daly talks about McCoist

Leeds_Bear

Ally McCoist: Much more than a pundit & the funny man of football

Callum McFadden

3 mins ago

A few months ago on CFB, Iinterviewed former Rangers and Dundee United player Jon Daly. Tune in here – https://anchor.fm/footballcfb

In the course of our wide-ranging discussion, Jon speaks emotionally of the personal touch Ally McCoist showed towards his dad, who was in the later stages of cancer when he first arrived at Rangers from Dundee United.

His story begins when his family flew over to Glasgow to see him score his first goal for the club – one of four on the day – in an 8-0 Ibrox win against Stenhousemuir in September 2013.

Daly: “My dad was in the later stages of cancer, he was in a bad way.

“I remember saying to Ally that my dad was coming to the game and he said ‘make sure you bring him down to see me’.

You kind of think yeah yeah, don’t expect anything, he is just saying that.

“But I remember the game had just finished and he said make sure you bring your family down.

I was like ‘alright’ and brought them down and they were over the moon to meet Ally McCoist.

“The way he was with them, the way he dealt with them, they are the little details that probably get overlooked with Ally.

He is just a fantastic human being and that will stay with me forever.

“In the last weeks of my dad’s life he made him feel like the King of Ibrox.

He brought him down, gave him the grand tour, wheeled him around on his wheelchair, took him around the pitch.

“He talked about that for the last few weeks of his life, and that is something again that I will never take away.

Even when my dad sadly did pass away, we went home for the funeral and Ally got a flight out to the funeral that morning, and then flew back without even letting me know he was there.

“It was only afterwards that people in the church were saying ‘Ally McCoist was here’.

“I rang him and said thanks. That just shows the mark of the man and what he was like as a person. A joy to play for.”

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Said it not long ago on another post, I hate the hate McCoist gets. One of my hero's still. The missus family are from East Kilbride and were very close with him. Really good guy.

It’s definitely calming down a lot Malky

Sadly Ally for the younger generation will always be remembered for the worst moments in our history .Thankfully I have the proud record of being at every game he scored against the scum “ live “

27 plus 3 

I told him this to his face years ago ,There is surely no one alive with this record .And I’m proud as hell to have that .With Ally always being my footballing hero on the park 

7 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Ally is my favourite Ranger of all time and always will be

Of a certain age group has to be.

Number of goals he scored

In particular number he scored v Them.

Not the greatest manager but neither was John Greig ffs

25 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Said it not long ago on another post, I hate the hate McCoist gets. One of my hero's still. The missus family are from East Kilbride and were very close with him. Really good guy.

It's the RM way, have a go heroes for any ex player - nobody is safe. Particularly if they are in the meedjia, fair game for some as it's always been. Someone was having a go at Alex Rae sooking up to Hugh Keevins the other day😀

Also, Jon Daly left the club on very good terms - wished the squad all the best and praised the fans and the club. No bitterness at all, and always does speak well about us. Never really worked out for him, but seems a decent guy and has never jumped on the haters bandwagon.

2 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Also, Jon Daly left the club on very good terms - wished the squad all the best and praised the fans and the club. No bitterness at all, and always does speak well about us. Never really worked out for him, but seems a decent guy and has never jumped on the haters bandwagon.

There is one issue he's spoken about. His final few months the club insisted he was injured when he was fit. McCall didn't fancy him so bombed him out 

20 minutes ago, livibear101 said:

I remember going to ibrox as a kid and watching ally score again and again 

the 1st game back after he broke his leg and he scored that over head kick! That was awesome and the guy will always be a Rangers legend in my books 

Same for me. Leg breaks seemed to be a lot more serious and career threatening back then than they are now. What a goal. Cup final as well. 

fantastic Super Ally proving why he's Super and to all of the celtic minded who are looking in frothing at the mouth John Dalys account of his time with us how proud his dad was no trouble from the club or supporters proves how much of a class club from top to bottom we are 

34 minutes ago, livibear101 said:

I remember going to ibrox as a kid and watching ally score again and again 

the 1st game back after he broke his leg and he scored that over head kick! That was awesome and the guy will always be a Rangers legend in my books 

enjoy

This thread has went better than expected... so far 

Never forgot the sound of Super Ally super Ally echoing around the stadium after every goal.  Was an outstanding striker, one of the best in Europe for a spell.  

Mccoist/Hateley best striker partnership In my lifetime 

Very disappointed in him for some of the things he did during his tenure as manager, while proud of others. 

Loved him as a player. Had his name on my top as a boy. Hated his managerial decisions. Hated some of the nonsense with penny shares and hiding salary and all that shit. Could do better with some of his comments in the media at times too. 

Moved past the bad now though, and now just focusing on the things he did on the park which were brilliant. 

Archived