Jon Daly talks about McCoist

Leeds_Bear

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't like the guy, some of the things he done during his spell as a manager was unforgivable and sleekit. 

Talks some amount of pish at times even to this day when it comes to us.

I'll never forgive him for his "we'll never forget who kicked us when we were down" speech, then a months later campaigned for Hearts to get the Ramsden's final at Tynecastle because they were either in administration or "needed the money" - that was a slap to the face for us all.

All that said, he's easily the best striker I've ever seen at Rangers. Goal scoring record second-to-none and speaks for itself.

18 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Don't like the guy, some of the things he done during his spell as a manager was unforgivable and sleekit. 

Talks some amount of pish at times even to this day when it comes to us.

I'll never forgive him for his "we'll never forget who kicked us when we were down" speech, then a months later campaigned for Hearts to get the Ramsden's final at Tynecastle because they were either in administration or "needed the money" - that was a slap to the face for us all.

All that said, he's easily the best striker I've ever seen at Rangers. Goal scoring record second-to-none and speaks for itself.

A bit different when you actually see his comments:

"It baffles me to be honest with you.

"If I'm the managing director of the sponsors, I would want it at the biggest venue.

"If the Scottish Cup final can be held at celtic Park, I would have thought the Ramsdens could have been held at celtic Park.

"With the increased opportunity for coverage and, indeed, revenue it would have been more sensible to me.

"But they decided to take the game to Edinburgh and, in doing that, I would have given it to the club that need the money.

"I would have given it to a team in administration and tried to help them out that way.

"But, for whatever reason, the game is being played at Easter Road, which we are fine about.

"We don't have a problem with it at all.

23 hours ago, peter huistra said:

Mind being at the Scotland v Greece game and Ally was lining up to come on , was really just a wee boy at the time all these big hairy tartan army guys are huffing and puffing at him coming on , I had been shouting bring on Ally most of the game , bang within 60 seconds he'd scored was chuffed. 

and no doubt the the tartan fannies were raging :raging:

On 13/08/2020 at 21:24, berkshirebear said:

I love Mccoist still to be honest.

I dont get the anger about the gardening leave etc, only thing that annoys me is why didnt use youths in D3, could have saved the club fortune!! 

Not just the money but if he had played young players with 3 or 4 older professionals like Wallace and McCulloch the team could have grown together and I honestly believe that team would have been better prepared for the Championship season and the first season back in premiership than the teams we put on the field. 

Just now, hawkfalcons said:

and no doubt the the tartan fannies were raging :raging:

Beelin , my Auntie would often drag me along to these games as a "treat" one of the reason I don't really like the national team now as they knew fuck all about fitbaw , preferring players like Darren Jackson and Duncan Shearer, I did appreciate watching guys like Gary McAlister right enough he was really good , I preferred supporting the Netherlands obviously cause of Huistra who I idolised. 

1 hour ago, Brubear said:

Not just the money but if he had played young players with 3 or 4 older professionals like Wallace and McCulloch the team could have grown together and I honestly believe that team would have been better prepared for the Championship season and the first season back in premiership than the teams we put on the field. 

He did. Consistently.

Ross Perry, Kal Naismith, Chris Hegarty, Lewis Macleod, Barrie McKay, Andy Little, Kyle Hutton, Robbie Crawford and Fraser Aird (there's even an argument that Seb Faure fits the bill there too) were all regulars under him. There are about another 10-15 who all made sporadic appearances.

Never got to see him as a player but well aware he was a legend. 

Think he had  an impossible task as a manager but will always have a sour taste in my mouth over gardening leave penny shares and his salary in general. Being a shite manager I'm not bothered about, I think he generally composed himself well and put up with hell and dragged us to (almost) where we needed to be. Replaced (eventually) by far better.

Its annoying because I think had I grew up watching him id love him more. 

Dont rate him much over his commentary etc. Seems a bit too cosy to sutton and Co personally.

Always be respect for him, just think he couldve acted quite differently and he wouldn't have list any respect from anyone.

On 13/08/2020 at 23:18, BlueKnight87 said:

A hero growing up for me and a true Rangers legend.  I've read stories of him being one of the nicest guys in football. Just never had the pleasure to meet him myself. 

Going to show my age here. Did anyone see the film he did a shot at glory? 

I am in that 

11 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

A legend an absolute legend anyone who dismisses him because he was a shite manager (and he was) Is a loony.  

I think it’s more of the alleged shady dealings during his stint, than the managerial calamity. 

On 13/08/2020 at 21:46, eejay the dj said:

It’s definitely calming down a lot Malky

Sadly Ally for the younger generation will always be remembered for the worst moments in our history .Thankfully I have the proud record of being at every game he scored against the scum “ live “

27 plus 3 

I told him this to his face years ago ,There is surely no one alive with this record .And I’m proud as hell to have that .With Ally always being my footballing hero on the park 

100% this

I've seen some brilliant Rangers players over the years but Super will never be surpassed, my second favourite is Hateley.

Archived