Europa League 20/21

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Motherwell 3-0 up

Will probably get hate for this but happy for both to make it as far as they can. I see the good and fun side in the scum getting beat but I literally couldn't give two shits about any of the other teams including Aberdeen. Really have no real desire to giving any energy to hating any other team in Scotland because they're irrelevant to me. Only care about Rangers doing better and more teams performing in Europe, keeping coefficients high and raising the profile of the game will indirectly lead to us improving. If we finish 2nd again this season we still get Champions League football, maybe the next season we have less qualifiers, then higher seedings, then automatic spots etc. Brings in more money, more European success, better players, a better reputation for the league which brings in more players and money etc. Would happily take a 10% 'annoyance' at Aberdeen winning in Europe if it led to a 1% benefit for us. 

Looking at the coefficient table again, man are those earlier years punishing us. Last season we were the 7th best country in Europe. Most of the teams above us nowhere near that level, just consistently decent. Even the teams just outside the big 6 relying on singular big seasons with a huge points tally (Belgium and Russia). Belgium's big year expires after this one too. If us and them consistently perform as well as last year, making group stages, winning matches and reaching the knockouts we'll shoot up the coefficient table as our results from 3/4 seasons ago become irrelevant also. 

I have a big mate who is gobsmacked that his beloved Bannsiders didn't get a hiding and instead they progressed into the next round. 

Reminds me (all be it on a much lesser scale) to the European run Newport had away back in the day. 

Delighted for him and them. 

25 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

This is exactly what I told a few weeks ago when you were bigging up Belgium's position in the coefficients. :lol:

Also pretty sure Belgium's big year in 16/17 won't expire until the 23/24 season.

Belgium benefited from the Uefa rule changes and our demotion fucked Scottish football. We could easily have been benefiting from free coefficient points without even play any qualifiers and having two sides potentially in CL. 

Fair point but I still don't think Belgium and Russia will be catchable was just saying even the much higher ones aren't miles away. Difference is they have been doing it consistently for years and do have more teams who perform and win matches in Europe. Where there's also every chance we don't get the same points we got last year either. Chances of making to round of 16 every year are slim, chances of both of us qualifying from the groups every year? Not high either. There's every chance we don't even qualify for the groups at all if we get a bad Q4 draw, even a winnable tie in a one off game away from home. Also the more teams we get into the competition the more our coefficient points get divided. 

But my original point back in that discussion was a passing comment that the Belgian league was "same standard if not better" than ours which I still stand by as accurate. If you're trying to say Belgian league is worse than our league then I still disagree with you

11 hours ago, Broxi said:

Looking at the coefficient table again, man are those earlier years punishing us. Last season we were the 7th best country in Europe. Most of the teams above us nowhere near that level, just consistently decent. Even the teams just outside the big 6 relying on singular big seasons with a huge points tally (Belgium and Russia). Belgium's big year expires after this one too. If us and them consistently perform as well as last year, making group stages, winning matches and reaching the knockouts we'll shoot up the coefficient table as our results from 3/4 seasons ago become irrelevant also. 

After you mentioned this I went and had a look myself and just to go off topic I noticed that Cyprus were right behind us in 14th which shocked me a bit.

I always thought of Cypriot teams as a tough teams that you eventually beat but they've been consistently decent at a certain level over the last decade only being out the top 20 twice.

They obviously benefitted from APOEL's success in the CL in 2012 but every year they have a team in the Europa groups and sometimes the CL groups. In this current coefficient table they've had three different sides reach the EL groups; APOEL, AEK Larnaca & Apollon Limassol.

This year along with APOEL and Apollon in the EL they have Anthorisis Famagusta and they still have Omonia Nicosia in the CL. Looking at their line ups they have benefit from a lot of foreigners and more relaxed rules on registrations from other continents which is probably why their national team still isn't great. I guess if there is a bit of money about in the league it must not be the worst place to play football.

They're now ahead of Greece for the 2nd or 3rd year in a row and are catching up on Turkey which must be huge in the region?

Apologies for the random tangent but it was just really surprising finding Cyprus so high up and the amount of decent depth they have in that league!:lol:

6 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Belgium last year got 7.6 points, an extra 1.6 was a result of bonus points on offer for the CL group stage. The top 4 leagues already have 2.825 points for this upcoming season without even playing a game! Advantage after advantage.

The last three seasons Scotland has outperformed Belgium by 2.5 points. Another horrific season for Belgium like in 17/18 would makes us massive favourites to overtake them . At the moment we are 10th for the 22/23 season, Belgium 14th and only 0.3 away from 8th! Belgium also could not qualify for the EL as well though like 17/18 when 3 sides went out in qualifying. It's not going to be easy but we have a real chance over the next 2-3 seasons. 7th and 8th position is up for grabs for a few nations. Look at the points Russia, Austria and Ukraine will lose for the year after!

I agreed back in that debate that your were correct and on the whole it's slightly better, using coefficients as a reasoning was still wrong though. 

Untitled.jpg

Fair enough again but it wasn't really an important point in the overall debate last time but I take your points. We're certainly in a good position if we continue to do well. Although in a side discussion, with the point of countries getting coefficient points before even playing a game, you could argue that's unfair but at the same time if they didn't get any points while other countries like us got to play 8 qualifying matches building up a lot of points then that would also be an advantage. Would almost make it better to go through qualifying. If you're going to award automatic qualification then it probably is only fair you are given points to make up for the missed games. Then it's an issue of if you think anybody should get automatic qualification but that's another matter 

Archived