Defence

eskbankloyal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eskbankloyal said:

So far this season domestically (5 games) we’ve conceded just 5 shots on target. Averaging 3 shots against us per game & conceding just 1 corner.

Granted, the opposition this year looks really poor but that’s an impressive level of dominance 

Get rid of goldson and we could have a solid back line. 

1 hour ago, SpiritofBillStruth said:

Helander is a terrific international level player. The stick he gets is completely unfounded. 

I think it's because he's slow and people have a bit of a Katic fetish.

Katic is a good strong defender but for me Helander is much better. He actually reads the game a lot better which means he doesn't get caught out by pace as much as others would. He's also never been bullied, off the top of my head, by the big powerful strikers in this league like Katic does from time to time.

The defence (having had little to do) look very solid.

I said after the Aberdeen game that I think this season we will be a lot harder to beat and won't concede a lot of goals - my only worry is when it comes to breaking teams down and where the goals might come from.

But back to the defence - they've been comfortable and dealt with everything, with ease. 

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Posts like this make me wonder if I'm watching a different game from everybody else. 

Helander has had one dodgy game since he signed and that was Livingston away last season where he had issues tracking the ball in the floodlights.

For some reason it’s been held against him ever since by some.

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Helander has had one dodgy game since he signed and that was Livingston away last season where he had issues tracking the ball in the floodlights.

The same people who love windass and want him back.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

People who actually have a brain and watch him will know that when it comes to the actual art of defending and doing the basics at the back, he does it very, very well.

Sure his pace can be an issue, but if he was younger, had pace and could do the things that he already does well, then he wouldn't be with us. He'd be the Juventus center half.

I know he's not pacy, but there was a point yesterday about about an hour in where there was a loose ball out towards the Govan Front and he covered some ground next to a Kilmarnock attacker and got it with ease.

8 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He has had other dodgy games/periods imo.

Feyenoord away, Motherwell H, Aberdeen A second 45 minutes and Hamilton away.

On the whole hes been good.

What did he do wrong the Feyenoord game? was it the deflection for their first goal? if so, they things happen.

The second goal, my memory of it (and it could be scewed as I was about 60 foot above the goal behind a net, pished) was the goalscorer walked right through Tav and Goldson un-tested and un-challenged. 

32 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

People who actually have a brain and watch him will know that when it comes to the actual art of defending and doing the basics at the back, he does it very, very well.

Sure his pace can be an issue, but if he was younger, had pace and could do the things that he already does well, then he wouldn't be with us. He'd be the Juventus center half.

I know he's not pacy, but there was a point yesterday about about an hour in where there was a loose ball out towards the Govan Front and he covered some ground next to a Kilmarnock attacker and got it with ease.

He reminds me of big Chiellini but maybe not quite as physical. Both are excellent readers of the play and their positional intelligence makes up for a lack of pace.

4 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I prefer not to be impressed by players fucking up and then praising them for rectifying it.

He has done well, if he could prevent the mistakes that he then needs to recover from, he'd be doing even better. He's an 8/10 for me this season.

Have to disagree here.  I'm very impressed when a player makes a mistake and then covers for that mistake on his own rather than hoping a teammate helps them out.

Everyone makes mistakes,  even Rangers players.

5 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Have to disagree here.  I'm very impressed when a player makes a mistake and then covers for that mistake on his own rather than hoping a teammate helps them out.

Everyone makes mistakes,  even Rangers players.

So if he continues making more mistakes he's impressing you more? 

Its like chances. Give less away, less chance of losing goals. Id rather a keeper had little to do but did that little well, than was pulling off saves left right centre. 

Its commendable fixing your own fault, its not an impressive quality though imo.

Archived