Gaffers reaction Hamilton 0 Rangers 2

mrmojorisin

1 hour ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

If only we had a 30 goals a season striker sat on the bench...

He scored 12 league goals last season. He can raise his game in Europe but there's was plenty of games last season where he wasted chance after chance domestically.

2 hours ago, foghorn leghorn said:

My reaction is that the Great Unwashed Tarrier Tadhgs (correct spelling of taigs)  managed to put 5 past the Accies and not just the 2, but that's 6 games without needing a keeper.

To be fair celtic mugged them at home on a nice big grass pitch... playing Accies on their shitey wee plastic park is a different kettle of fish. However, I do get your point, we were very wasteful today.

16 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

We can’t win. Half the folk don’t want him to play because he might get injured and the other half are wondering why he isn’t playing.

Aye it's a complex and complicated issue.

Play him - Risk him getting injured on the plastic pitch and no player and no transfer fees, risk having a player who won't be trying a leg, risk having a player who might try but his head is elsewhere or risk upsetting the future plans trying to get Roofe bedded in as the main guy upfront (as we need to plan for life without Morelos and get new understandings and partnerships down).

Don't play him - Risk him getting rusty and his match fitness suffers, he's not scoring, you run the risk of putting off potential buyers as he's not in the team, folk say he's our best player/striker and criticise and (this one's with hindsight) we had about 30 chances at goal and only scored 2, so Morelos playing we should, in theory had scored more.

When you weigh up both above, Gerrard probably can't win either way as there's perfectly valid reasons listed there for both playing and not playing.

The manager and his coaching staff (for all they get stuff wrong and they don't always make the correct calls) they need to be trusted to weigh it up, because they will have a better idea of what's going on behind the scenes than all of us on this forum put together. 

A missed opportunity today to increase our goal difference.   Barker was worse than a man short but was kept on the pitch for the entire game.  Instead of freshening things up after say 60 mins, he waits until the 83rd minute  then a bewildering stoppage time change.   As soon as they went down to 10 men we should have pummelled them.

I like Gerrard and whilst the jury is justifiably out I'm very much on the Pro Gerrard side of things.

That being said his decision not to use the bench is baffling. We can make 5 subs I believe this year so why wait until the 80th minute? Why only make a couple of changes? What on earth is the point of introducing a player around minute 90? That should only be done to time waste and the Stewart sub obviously wasn't for that purpose. 

All in all it's a side of his management that's poor. I'd have liked to see Barisic and Tav come off for the final ten if only to mitigate the risk of injury. When the game is won we should be resting players to avoid injury :tu:

55 minutes ago, Returnable said:

I like Gerrard and whilst the jury is justifiably out I'm very much on the Pro Gerrard side of things.

That being said his decision not to use the bench is baffling. We can make 5 subs I believe this year so why wait until the 80th minute? Why only make a couple of changes? What on earth is the point of introducing a player around minute 90? That should only be done to time waste and the Stewart sub obviously wasn't for that purpose. 

All in all it's a side of his management that's poor. I'd have liked to see Barisic and Tav come off for the final ten if only to mitigate the risk of injury. When the game is won we should be resting players to avoid injury :tu:

See I'm of the opinion that 5 subs is a nonsense....in saying that Gerrard has never been one to rush subs....but having the option of 5 subs doesn't mean you should use them..pre season friendly  springs to mind

2 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

We can’t win. Half the folk don’t want him to play because he might get injured and the other half are wondering why he isn’t playing.

Exactly if hes on the bench, he should play, he woulda scored a hat trick of headers Roofe never. 

1 hour ago, Returnable said:

It's a bit late for the jury still being out!! Gerrard hasn't won any a thing - and if that is the case again in May, he's out the door. The capitulation after Dubai should have seen him out imo - covid saved him.

7 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Foreign player wants a move to a better league after being here since 2017,shameful behaviour. 

No issue with that, downing tools is pretty disappointing though, obviously you’ve no issue with him being paid 20-30k a week and not bothering to put the effort in!

13 hours ago, foghorn leghorn said:

My reaction is that the Great Unwashed Tarrier Tadhgs (correct spelling of taigs)  managed to put 5 past the Accies and not just the 2, but that's 6 games without needing a keeper.

So the first thing you think about is that lot?

strange 

13 hours ago, foghorn leghorn said:

Let's not tell lies.

14 hours ago, foghorn leghorn said:

Hanilton created a decent amount of chances away to the papes. 

They didn't get the chance to create anything against us 

4 hours ago, Big Al II said:

No issue with that, downing tools is pretty disappointing though, obviously you’ve no issue with him being paid 20-30k a week and not bothering to put the effort in!

Players have done it in the past and were quickly forgiven. 

13 hours ago, Iakona said:

He scored 12 league goals last season. He can raise his game in Europe but there's was plenty of games last season where he wasted chance after chance domestically.

To be fair celtic mugged them at home on a nice big grass pitch... playing Accies on their shitey wee plastic park is a different kettle of fish. However, I do get your point, we were very wasteful today.

It’s not a different kettle of fish at all. Put 4 past them on it 3 times, and 5 twice since we came back up. 

Archived