Older Bears

Essandoh

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 36 so nowhere near as old as some of the other guys who your thread probably aimed at, but I'd still like to leave a special mention of my own in Ian Ferguson.

One of the last few successful, dyed-in-the-wool Rangers men who actually got it and didn't turn into an utter fanny/celtic-Scotland loving lick-arse fanny minute they stopped playing.

Not the best ever player you'll ever see technically, but his dig, drive, tackling, passion was second-to-none and he could still play a bit too. Nice range of passing and often pop up with crucial goals in big games. 

They don't make them like that anymore. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

I'm 36 so nowhere near as old as some of the other guys who your thread probably aimed at, but I'd still like to leave a special mention of my own in Ian Ferguson.

One of the last few successful, dyed-in-the-wool Rangers men who actually got it and didn't turn into an utter fanny/celtic-Scotland lick-arse minute they stopped playing.

Not the best player you'll ever see technically, but his dig, drive, tackling, passion was second-to-none and he could play a bit too. Nice range of passing and often pop up with crucial goals in big games. 

Ian "I only have a drink when Rangers win a trophy, that's why people think I'm an alcoholic" Ferguson. 

There are a few from my time watching Rangers that I liked but don’t get talked about much. Not sure if it’s the era you are looking for, but Stuart Munro and Dave McPherson spring to mind. 

Munro was a good honest pro and McPherson won many trophies with us and was outstanding playing at right back in season 92/93. 

1 minute ago, Blues Brother said:

There are a few from my time watching Rangers that I liked but don’t get talked about much. Not sure if it’s the era you are looking for, but Stuart Munro and Dave McPherson spring to mind. 

Munro was a good honest pro and McPherson won many trophies with us and was outstanding playing at right back in season 92/93. 

Good shout bud :tu:

There have been loads of players in late 80s and early 90s who played only for a year or two, who were very good for us. Kevin Drinkell, Paul Rideout, Dale Gordon, Ray Wilkins and the likes. All played a part in getting titles over the line in the season or so they were with us. Probably loads more 

23 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

One of the last few successful, dyed-in-the-wool Rangers men who actually got it and didn't turn into an utter fanny/celtic-Scotland loving lick-arse fanny minute they stopped playing.

Not the best ever player you'll ever see technically, but his dig, drive, tackling, passion was second-to-none and he could still play a bit too. Nice range of passing and often pop up with crucial goals in big games. 

He's exactly the central midfielder we need just now. Hard as fuck and could play a bit as well. 

17 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

This 100% , two guys younger fans won't look at like Gazza or Laudrup, but two absolute professionals, and excellent servants to Rangers 👍👍👍

Dave Smith, what a sweet left peg he had on him, very cultured a big influence in the ECWC final.

Gordon Smith, a perfect foil for big DJ, that treble winning season where they combined to score 50odd between them was a thing of beauty.

Alex McDonald and Bobby Russell, enough said.

Archived