Older Bears

Essandoh

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Brubear said:

Agree with both of them I was going to post McDonald. 

Alex MacDonald - He was fantastic watching him as a boy. I loved his no halfs given and his command of the midfield. Although as a very young teen I didn’t have that analysis I just seen a warrior.  

jukebox was a squad player with the likes of Gazza, Laudrup etc in the team.  You just knew when he came on only good things were going to happen. A workhorse with a huge heart and a better reader of the game you seldom see. 

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Alex MacDonald - He was fantastic watching him as a boy. I loved his no halfs given and his command of the midfield. Although as a very young teen I didn’t have that analysis I just seen a warrior.  

jukebox was a squad player with the likes of Gazza, Laudrup etc in the team.  You just knew when he came on only good things were going to happen. A workhorse with a huge heart and a better reader of the game you seldom see. 

I still remember MacDonalds diving header from about 10 yards out. Iam sure it was a cup final at Hampden but not sure if LC or SC. 

Edit.  Just watched a you tube video of his goals and for a wee man an awful lot of headers including about 5 diving headers. Thought my memory was playing tricks as none of them against them, but then it came, thr last one in the montage. Was LC, as it cuts to us collecting the cup and references his goal as the winning  goal. 

Gregor Stevens under rated and seen as only a stopper but he could pass the ball, would go and close down the attacker and not back off. He added bite and fight into our team. We had a good team under John Greig and should have won more, I never under stood how we did not win more when you look at that team. And we had Chesterfield, the 80/81 season was very strange.

Nicky Walker made some decent contributions Even after the arrival of  Chris Woods. I’m sure he was in a couple of Skol Cup finals or something. I remember thinking my mate was at the wind up when he said he his family business was Walkers Shortbread, but it was actually true !

8 hours ago, harlands plater said:

A John Greig signing and a classy footballer. Looking back I think Greig was trying to turn us into more of a footballing side than we had been under Jock Wallace, in the end it just didn’t work out for him.  

That night at the Piggery had a big effect, we lost a bit of momentum and the tarriers got a big lift from it. If we had won the Treble in Greig’s first season, maybe it would have turned out differently in the long term.

Yeah , I remember him being compared to that other No6 , Jim Baxter . As you said classy . 

I'd certainly say JG was trying to change our football to a more continental style our results in Europe were pretty good , particularly at the start . Unfortunately here in Scotland we play a different game and struggled after that first season . 

11 hours ago, pollok-bear said:

Basile boli

Was never a fan of his at the time. Whenever he messed something up, he looked to blame others for his mistakes rather than just getting on with it. He was so consistent in this that it overshadows my actual memories of his positive contributions.

45 minutes ago, Old No7. said:

Deserves a mention. For those  wondering about the empty seats at Ibrox that was how it was until Souness arrived.

Brilliant shout. 

oh and them empty seats - I remember it well and the amount of folks that say they attended games through the bad times are talking shite, the stadium would be full 😂

1 hour ago, Brubear said:

I still remember MacDonalds diving header from about 10 yards out. Iam sure it was a cup final at Hampden but not sure if LC or SC. 

Edit.  Just watched a you tube video of his goals and for a wee man an awful lot of headers including about 5 diving headers. Thought my memory was playing tricks as none of them against them, but then it came, thr last one in the montage. Was LC, as it cuts to us collecting the cup and references his goal as the winning  goal. 

He seemed to score a few similar   important  goals . One of my favourite all time Rangers player that was so underrated. 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Brilliant shout. 

oh and them empty seats - I remember it well and the amount of folks that say the attended games through the bad times are talking shite, the stadium would be full 😂

Those were the days you just turned up and paid to get in . Long gone now . 

Alan McLaren  who's career was sadly over at the age of 27      

Captain   the night we won 9 in-a-row  , played through the pain barrier in what was his final game.

and also had this to say about that cunt   Stuart Dougal

"Stuart Dougal the match referee he was desperate to kill us. It looked like from where I was any decision that was 50-50 went against us"

Andy Penman was my favourite when my old man took me along to Ibrox  as a young boy.

Wee Doddie was the main man when I started going to games with my mates. 

Got a lot to thank my late dad for but instilling my love for The Gers from an early age, has allowed me to see so many of our great players. 

Archived