Hamstrings, calf strains, etc.

slimjim1690

Been on my mind for quite some time now with the amount of these type of injuries the players have been picking up in games or at training, especially yesterday with Jack, Barker and possibly Balogan, add in Katic and I'm not sure how Aribo suffered his injury but something seems amiss here, I'm beginning to think that something may need to be looked at from the medical team standpoint, we hear lots of talk about medical science etc but I'm wondering if the players are being warmed up properly, this seems to be something more common in the "modern footballer" maybe my memory is going as I can't seem to remember so many players going down with these types of injuries when I was growing up watching from the 60's when games were played on mud heaps in winter, but it is alarming how many muscle injuries we seem to keep picking up.

Thoughts.

It seems as if we are being very unlucky or you maybe have a point.

I assume as with performances in games, there must be a review if a few players get what looks like the same kind of injury and if any changes need to be made by the medical side of the squad.  

4 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Been on my mind for quite some time now with the amount of these type of injuries the players have been picking up in games or at training, especially yesterday with Jack, Barker and possibly Balogan, add in Katic and I'm not sure how Aribo suffered his injury but something seems amiss here, I'm beginning to think that something may need to be looked at from the medical team standpoint, we hear lots of talk about medical science etc but I'm wondering if the players are being warmed up properly, this seems to be something more common in the "modern footballer" maybe my memory is going as I can't seem to remember so many players going down with these types of injuries when I was growing up watching from the 60's when games were played on mud heaps in winter, but it is alarming how many muscle injuries we seem to keep picking up.

Thoughts.

Remember reading a thing a few years back that said from a physiological point you have to liken modern day footballers to Formula 1 cars today.

Basically so highly tuned that even slight problems cause injuries that you wouldn’t get before. 

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

Thoughts.

Personally mate, I would say hamstring, calf, thigh injuries etc have existed since the beginning of the game and always will even when players are in great shape.

From my own experience as an amateur player, the hamstrings were the worst. They could happen at any moment and often reoccured.

I don’t think there’s a trend...

Jack - Calf strain

Aribo - Sprained ankle

Katic - ACL

Barker - Hamstring

I think if anyone had a trend it’s Barker, consistently pulls his hamstring. Jack is getting to the point he’ll be classed as ‘injury prone’. Whilst Balogun had a history of picking up injuries before signing with us. 

Morelos was nothing but thuggery. 

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Remember reading a thing a few years back that said from a physiological point you have to liken modern day footballers to Formula 1 cars today.

Basically so highly tuned that even slight problems cause injuries that you wouldn’t get before. 

Yea I remember that being said before as well, maybe they are being to highly tuned, if that makes any sense 

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Personally mate, I would say hamstring, calf, thigh injuries etc have existed since the beginning of the game and always will even when players are in great shape.

From my own experience as an amateur player, the hamstrings were the worst. They could happen at any moment and often reoccured.

I understand that these injuries have been around since forever, it just seems to me there's more occurrences now

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but it didn't seem to happen as much in the 70/80's where it would be the same team most weeks other than the odd injury . 

4 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but it didn't seem to happen as much in the 70/80's where it would be the same team most weeks other than the odd injury . 

I’ve actually been going through 70s line ups this past few weeks for something I’ve been researching and I was surprised at how many changes there were tbh.

5 minutes ago, gmcf said:

It's a different game now.  these guys are way fitter, and most likely train more. There are plastic pitches to contend with as well.

I just think we have had a run of bad luck when it comes to injuries.

The players were probably harder back then too and played through the pain barrier more.

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

It's a different game now.  these guys are way fitter, and most likely train more. There are plastic pitches to contend with as well.

I just think we have had a run of bad luck when it comes to injuries.

Wouldn't you think if they were more fitter as you say then would it not stand to reason that the prevalence of these types of injuries would be less, or as has been suggested maybe they're to highly tuned 

6 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

Someone said Barker has had 13 hamstring injuries in his career. Not sure if true but worrying if it is. 

Terrible thing to say but anything that keeps him out is good news imo.

Nothing against him personally but we are a man down every time he starts for us and we cannot afford to drop the pressure in the slightest this season.

I have no science, medical or any other evidence but I think last season we came out the traps for the first half of the season and during the Christmas break we were overworked when we should have been resting.

We’re having a great start again results wise but injury wise it’s worrying and I sometimes wonder if the danger we have is the overanalysing of the players stats and as much as the players should be athletes,  they’re not machines or super human and I feel statisticians sometimes forget this.

As said at start I’ve nothing to back the above up apart from my own opinion on watching the matches over the course.

6 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Terrible thing to say but anything that keeps him out is good news imo.

Nothing against him personally but we are a man down every time he starts for us and we cannot afford to drop the pressure in the slightest this season.

It’s terrible, but I agree. I couldn’t understand why he was in the  lineup yesterday - he must have something on Gerrard to get so much game time!

But seriously, I think we’ll be more ruthless with him out the team. I’m digging this 4231 and a front four of Kent, Hagi, Roofe and Morelos or Itten looks like it’ll be really dangerous.  

And, I’d rather have Jones over Barker every day of the week.  Really don’t understand why he’s not been given more of a chance.

35 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

I don’t think there’s a trend...

Jack - Calf strain

Aribo - Sprained ankle

Katic - ACL

Barker - Hamstring

I think if anyone had a trend it’s Barker, consistently pulls his hamstring. Jack is getting to the point he’ll be classed as ‘injury prone’. Whilst Balogun had a history of picking up injuries before signing with us. 

Morelos was nothing but thuggery. 

There's defo a general injuries trend though. 

I remember Dick Advocaat saying years ago he had a theory behind it as to why we are traditionally unlucky with injuries, but he was keeping it to himself. 

Don't know what relevance (if any) it might have to us 20-years later but we have always had our (un)fair share of injuries. 

Some of it thuggery, some of it bad luck, but some of it might even be down to us and our medical teams too. I wouldn't rule it out anyway.

26 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’ve actually been going through 70s line ups this past few weeks for something I’ve been researching and I was surprised at how many changes there were tbh.

Like I say I'm maybe being nostalgic , but the only long term injuries I can remember were leg breaks and can't really think if anyone being out for such a length of time back then except for that . 

24 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Wouldn't you think if they were more fitter as you say then would it not stand to reason that the prevalence of these types of injuries would be less, or as has been suggested maybe they're to highly tuned 

I think if they are training harder and playing faster, there is more chance for injuries to happen.

Players also wont take the chances that older players would have.  Older players have probably played with things like broken metatarsels etc.

Archived