Hamstrings, calf strains, etc.

slimjim1690

27 minutes ago, gogzy said:

It's a different game now.  these guys are way fitter, and most likely train more. There are plastic pitches to contend with as well.

I just think we have had a run of bad luck when it comes to injuries.

The players were probably harder back then too and played through the pain barrier more.

I think there's a little bit of truth in all of that , though I think we are also more cautious regarding injury now . I can remember Alan(?) McGraw  using walking sticks at a relatively early age because he kept taking pain killing injections just to play every week .

6 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I think if they are training harder and playing faster, there is more chance for injuries to happen.

Players also wont take the chances that older players would have.  Older players have probably played with things like broken metatarsels etc.

Possibly 

2 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Like I say I'm maybe being nostalgic , but the only long term injuries I can remember were leg breaks and can't really think if anyone being out for such a length of time back then except for that . 

Older fans will remember the iconic Leeds team:

Sprake

Reaney Charlton Hunter Cooper

Lorimer Bremner Giles Gray

Clarke Jones

:pipe:

Played together week in, week out, year after year, right?

Actually that team played together only once, an FA Cup tie against Mansfield.

Our perceptions of who played (and how often) don’t always match up to reality.

:huh:

5 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Sprake

Clarke Jones

Yes , fair comment . 

It's just when I think of the Rangers team back then I can't remember many long term injuries in either the 70's or 80's , but as you say , it could just be perception . 

37 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I think if they are training harder and playing faster, there is more chance for injuries to happen.

Players also wont take the chances that older players would have.  Older players have probably played with things like broken metatarsels etc.

I’ve done my metatarsals a couple of times playing and you really cant go on once they’re done.

3 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

I’ve done my metatarsals a couple of times playing and you really cant go on once they’re done.

You or I might not be able too :lol:  Big marv played half a season with a torn hamstring. 

1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

Terrible thing to say but anything that keeps him out is good news imo.

Nothing against him personally but we are a man down every time he starts for us and we cannot afford to drop the pressure in the slightest this season.

Gerrard😀 and his love of barker, a guy with numerous hamstring injuries, and a Hibs sub🤮unbelievable

43 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Sprake

Clarke Jones

This is what I tried to say. Injuries have existed since the beginning of the game and will continue to do so. Times haven't changed that.

Btw, what a team that was.

6 minutes ago, gogzy said:

You or I might not be able too :lol:  Big marv played half a season with a torn hamstring. 

It was a ruptured ACL that big Marv had.  And fuck knows how he managed it as I’ve done mine twice and couldn’t contemplate running or, especially, turning afterwards.  Incredible.

2 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

It was a ruptured ACL that big Marv had.  And fuck knows how he managed it as I’ve done mine twice and couldn’t contemplate running or, especially, turning afterwards.  Incredible.

yeah sorry,  ACL.  Still mental he managed it.

33 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Must admit I thought that was kinda stupid but noble at the same time. It would have shortened his career. At the time McLeish wanted him to get an operation but he said God would heal him :confused:

1 hour ago, tm91 said:

Jack has a consistent problem he's been playing through hasn't he? Even last year when he was on top form he was playing through injury.

The rest seem to be bad luck. A real problem is something like how Roma have had 15 ACL tears in 6 years. We clearly don't have a problem like that!

Yeah i think Jack has a knee problem and needs to watch how he trains (over use type injury)- could be linked to that if he muscle imbalance i guess?

50 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Big Marv got me as close to believing in God as I have done before or since. 

Archived