Gerrard's record at Hibs, Hearts Aberdeen and Kilmarnock

26 minutes ago, The Librarian said:

That's something our club has a habit of doing, letting promising youngsters leave before we know if they could compete at a higher level.

I'm not prepared to accept failure season in season out. At some point fans will start to drift away, it's happened before, during the John Greig management era.

its not just the youngsters its other players that are around the squad that he just ignores before signing some equally average player to replace them

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Assuming it’s the away stats but:

in 2020 we’ve played 10 domestic away games. 4 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats. Of the 6 games we didn’t win we were winning in 4 of them. 

The 4 wins - 2 were against Hamilton the other 2 were 1-0 wins v Aberdeen & Ross County. 

It’s grim.

Only won by more than 1 at Hamilton?

Beale addressed this during the second half of last season.  The counter pressing 4-3-3 we've been using the last 2 seasons is an excellent system as we've seen in Europe but it's not as effective domestically.  Domestically the oppositions first pass is often a punt the length of the part which nullifies the advantages of a high pressing system.  Games are also refereed to a different standard domestically and in Europe.  Domestically the football is allowed to be far more physical and Gerrard was targeting very technical players.  This summer he's changed the system to a 4-2-3-1 so we're more attacking and hopefully it'll help us break teams down more.  He's also brought in more physical players in Itten, Bassey, and Balogun.  I think he'll look to add more physicality and fight to the centre of the midfield before the window shuts.

The management team are aware of what's happened in the past and have made moves to correct that.  They're not standing still.  I know many are calling for Gerrard to be sacked but that would be a monumental mistake.  It would sent this club in to free fall again.  We need to give Gerrard this season and see if the 4-2-3-1 pays off.  celtic have switched to a 3-5-2 and that looks to be a step backwards so I don't think they'll be as good as previous seasons either.

7 minutes ago, HG5 said:

No more hypothetical than the world in which every ref & linesman gets every decision correct, every time.

No one said that. But yesterday the referee allowed an offside goal to stand and it DID cost Rangers the win. 

Having said all that, a 2-2 draw away to an in-form Hibs side, who scored a goal that was offside is neither unexpected or the end of the world in terms of a league season. 

But... the regular pattern of dropping points, the same issues cropping up, and an Old Firm manager into his third season without a trophy is unchartered territory for any manager. 

59 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

“Whenever anybody puts a bit of pressure on us in Scotland or gets in our face it seems to affect us too much. At the start of the season teams dropped off us and we were scoring four or five goals, but now they smell blood straight away and put us under pressure.”

Thats from the club captain in the name of fuck. Perfectly sums up the weak mentality that seems to be allowed at the club. I said yesterday anyone who is a neutral and a betting man would be missing a trick if they didnt back heavily against us in any must win domestic game. Its free money.

12 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Having said all that, a 2-2 draw away to an in-form Hibs side, who scored a goal that was offside is neither unexpected or the end of the world in terms of a league season. 

But... the regular pattern of dropping points, the same issues cropping up, and an Old Firm manager into his third season without a trophy is unchartered territory for any manager. 

You need to remember the circumstances in which Gerrard took over Rangers.  Did you expect him to win anything during his first season?  I didn’t.  celtic were miles ahead and we’ve been closing that gap ever since.  I’d say right now the two Old Firm teams are as even as they have been since we were kicked out the league.  That’s due to the improvements we’ve made under Gerrard, and Lennon taking celtic backwards.  

It was uncharted territory for any Rangers manager in that the gulf between the two Old Firm teams is as big as I’ve ever seen it when he took over.  We need to remember that when judging his performance during this last two seasons.

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Haven't even played everybody home and away yet :lol:

I don’t care.  We have the best defense in Scotland.  You think celtic’s is better?  Even their own fans will tell you they’re a calamity at the back.  We have a better keeper, better CBs, and far superior full-backs.

Just now, TMB said:

You need to remember the circumstances in which Gerrard took over Rangers.  Did you expect him to win anything during his first season?  I didn’t.  celtic were miles ahead and we’ve been closing that gap ever since.  I’d say right now the two Old Firm teams are as even as they have been since we were kicked out the league.  That’s due to the improvements we’ve made under Gerrard, and Lennon taking celtic backwards.  

It was uncharted territory for any Rangers manager in that the gulf between the two Old Firm teams is as big as I’ve ever seen it when he took over.  We need to remember that when judging his performance during this last two seasons.

Lennon taking celtic backwards is a narrative I’ve seen a fair bit...

Since the start of last season they’ve won 32 out of 37 league games. 

we can’t win more than 4 on the bounce. 

Just now, eskbankloyal said:

Lennon taking celtic backwards is a narrative I’ve seen a fair bit...

Since the start of last season they’ve won 32 out of 37 league games. 

we can’t win more than 4 on the bounce. 

Neil Lennon is taking celtic backwards.  Under Brendan Rodgers they were a far superior team, with better players.  I can’t believe Lennon has moved away from the 4-2-3-1 to employ a 3-5-2.  The 3-5-2 was hugely successful for celtic back in the MON era but will it work as well against today’s tactics?  Probably not.  I’d rather be playing our brand of football than theirs.  

Archived