Gerrard Poll

BridgeIsBlue

Gerrard Poll  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Happy with things up until now?

2. 2. Has he done enough since the summer of 2018?

3. 3. When should he be sacked?

• Failure to qualify for EL
    • Fail to win the League Cup
    • League Championship
    • Scottish Cup
    • Sometime next season
  4. 4. Does 10 in a row matter to you?

5. 5. What age are you?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/20 at 17:00

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted yes for happy with things now but I'm obviously not "happy" that we've not won anything. But the question came across as an overall judgement of Gerrard's position and if we think he should be gone so I voted yes as a way of saying I don't think he should be sacked.

My view is people think if you can win the league then you should win the league. But even if we've brought ourselves equal to them then that's still only a 50/50 chance you end up winning it. I think Gerrard has improved us a lot since Warburton and Pedro and elevated us to being on the same level for the first time since 2012. But even with that then it doesn't give us anything, the rest still comes down to luck, form, good fortune, one goal here or there. I think we've been making enough progress and getting close enough in various aspects (excellent in Europe, robbed of the League Cup, January position last season) that we aren't far enough away to get rid of him now and risk someone else (who?) coming in and setting us back. I believe that we can win things under GerrardBut I do believe another trophy-less season and a big point gap will see him gone. Which is why I said after the Scottish Cup for sacking. But I'm not ready to think that way yet. 

Couldn't really answer it tbh as my opinion on him falls into a couple of middle/grey area/in-between's in some of the options provided. 

I'll just explain my position (I've said it loads on here already, but I'll say it again anyway).

We've improved under him.
We are a very good footballing team under him.
He's took us up not just a level (from McCoist, Warburton & Caixhina) but several levels.
We are a match for celtic over 90-minutes in any given day.
Results in Europe have been fantastic (in-fact, that's an understatement).
We'll never get a bigger name in World football to be associated with our club, in any capacity (therefore amazing PR).

However

I doubt we will ever win a league under him.
His insistence on playing 2, sometimes 3 central, holding midfielders against SPL dross is
nauseating.
He's ignored the glaring deficiencies in our midfield for 3-seasons now - despite him being a truly World-Class midfielder himself.
His game management is utterly shameful. The stat about the amount of points dropped from winning positions is disgusting.
Doesn't use his squad sensibly enough and the second half of both previous season's we've fucked it.
James Tavernier is his captain. Which still baffles me to this day.
His overall win ratio is nowhere near good enough.
He's still making the same stupid mistakes as he has done from day one.
And over-all, I just don't think he "get's it" as in get's what's needed to succeed (not not get the size of the club etc - he get's that IMO).

This season a domestic cup shouldn't save him. All that would do would go neatly into the first set of comments above about the good he's done. Whilst we badly need a trophy to end celtic's domestic dominance, it shouldn't save his job if he's went three seasons without winning the league. I don't even care if we lose the league to them by 1-point come late May, it shouldn't matter - he should be gone.

I'm mixed on him overall. I have been saying for ages that if we gave him this summer and the money that we have given him to spend, then he get's the season, however, when celtic start opening up a gap (and they will) when it becomes clear we've fucked it again I'd get rid of him then and start planning for next season.

I'm 36 btw.

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Couldn't really answer it tbh as my opinion on him falls into a couple of middle/grey area/in-between's in some of the options provided. 

I'll just explain my position (I've said it loads on here already, but I'll say it again anyway).

We've improved under him.
We are a very good footballing team under him.
He's took us up not just a level (from McCoist, Warburton & Caixhina) but several levels.
We are a match for celtic over 90-minutes in any given day.
Results in Europe have been fantastic (in-fact, that's an understatement).
We'll never get a bigger name in World football to be associated with our club, in any capacity (therefore amazing PR).

However

I doubt we will ever win a league under him.
His insistence on playing 2, sometimes 3 central, holding midfielders against SPL dross is
nauseating.
He's ignored the glaring deficiencies in our midfield for 3-seasons now - despite him being a truly World-Class midfielder himself.
His game management is utterly shameful. The stat about the amount of points dropped from winning positions is disgusting.
Doesn't use his squad sensibly enough and the second half of both previous season's we've fucked it.
James Tavernier is his captain. Which still baffles me to this day.
His overall win ratio is nowhere near good enough.
He's still making the same stupid mistakes as he has done from day one.
And over-all, I just don't think he "get's it" as in get's what's needed to succeed (not not get the size of the club etc - he get's that IMO).

This season a domestic cup shouldn't save him. All that would do would go neatly into the first set of comments above about the good he's done. Whilst we badly need a trophy to end celtic's domestic dominance, it shouldn't save his job if he's went three seasons without winning the league. I don't even care if we lose the league to them by 1-point come late May, it shouldn't matter - he should be gone.

I'm mixed on him overall. I have been saying for ages that if we gave him this summer and the money that we have given him to spend, then he get's the season, however, when celtic start opening up a gap (and they will) when it becomes clear we've fucked it again I'd get rid of him then and start planning for next season.

I'm 36 btw.

Seasoned mate....😀👍

He’s done well, but not well enough.

The league is all that matters, everything else is window dressing. Last chance saloon for him. Doesn’t win the league and he gets the bin. 

Our failures are just so predictable, and are basically rinse and repeat whenever there’s pressure / opportunity to step forward and win the league. 

A complete over reaction to a draw at Easter Rd. was disappointing but can’t blame Gerrard for Sunday we had more than enough chances to win.

Also 10 in a row is irrelevant. I couldn’t care if Aberdeen had won 5 during the last 9 years it’s about us winning the league cos we’ve not won it since 2011 not stopping them winning 10.

Poll was made on a whim after reading a few posts over the weekend regarding people being content with the start of the season and basically washing over everything else that's happened this year. 

Seen loads of posts over the summer that #55 is more important than 10IAR which is a puzzling stance to take imo but whatever, the poll could've been done better admittedly. 

10 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

A complete over reaction to a draw at Easter Rd. was disappointing but can’t blame Gerrard for Sunday we had more than enough chances to win.

Also 10 in a row is irrelevant. I couldn’t care if Aberdeen had won 5 during the last 9 years it’s about us winning the league cos we’ve not won it since 2011 not stopping them winning

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, GWR1979 said:

First question should have some middle ground not just yes / no 

For me the league is number 1 priority and if we fail at that then Gerrard needs to go. 

Agree but also realise if he goes so does the backroom staff and then with our finances we will be even further behind the beasts. 2012 repercussions will last for many more years to come imho, if we dont win this year and stop the tainted 10iar i suspect a large portion of the support will give up on it. Especially as we seem to be heading down the road of who has most spare cash to spend to get away games and european games etc coming into play. 

Archived