We look completely at ease in Europe

Born Sinner

We looked very comfortable tonight and it was never in doubt, I felt it was over after the first goal went in.

Everything about the players was assured - the body language, the tackling, first time passing, more composure in and around the opposition box, and much more clinical looking. Carried ourselves with the confidence of winners.

This needs to translate domestically - strolling it this evening but panic stations at Hibs is bizzare. I don’t understand it at all.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

We are a very good European outfit and a team that not many teams would want to pull out in a draw and that is something I didn’t think I would ever be saying for a long time four or five years back.

Should be aiming for the knockout stages of the Europa bare minimum tbh.

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

The main difference is the refereeing.

Unquestionably.

Disagree with that..We have had some shocking refereeing results in Europe. Spartak away, Feynoord away and at home to name a few. It's down to our style of play being much more suited to European football. Not all our bad results in the league are referees.

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Unquestionably.

This. We are allowed to play football without any bias towards us from the officials.

Simples.

Interesting to note the likes of Kilmarnock. Aberdeen, even Motherwell often get a result against us, yet fail miserably on every occasion in Europe.    No biased referees in Europe to help them.    

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We are a very good European outfit and a team that not many teams would want to pull out in a draw and that is something I didn’t think I would ever be saying for a long time four or five years back.

If you could mix Walter Smith league form with Gerrard's European form we would win world cups.

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Unquestionably.

Beale spoke at length about this.  Not the bias aspect, but that technically superior teams will do better in Europe whereas Scottish football allows physicality that holds the game back.

"My big issue is this: the game at this moment in time is based on physicality.  

"It's refereed in some games to allow physicality to take preference over football. It's not just me coming in from the outside and saying that. 

"What I would say is that the game is so unique in Scotland that the game in Spain could be a slightly different game.

"About 10 years ago, in the first few weeks of the Premier League season there were loads of red and yellow cards. The media were up in arms and we had talk of it being a non-contact sport but it was basically the best thing that could have happened.

"What happened was the referees had been away and been educated that 'that's not allowed anymore' and it has helped the English players and it's helped the Premier League become more technical.

"I just think the game in Scotland has probably been held back a little bit by that.

Just now, TMB said:

Beale spoke at length about this.  Not the bias aspect, but that technically superior teams will do better in Europe whereas Scottish football allows physicality that holds the game back.

"My big issue is this: the game at this moment in time is based on physicality.  

"It's refereed in some games to allow physicality to take preference over football. It's not just me coming in from the outside and saying that. 

"What I would say is that the game is so unique in Scotland that the game in Spain could be a slightly different game.

"About 10 years ago, in the first few weeks of the Premier League season there were loads of red and yellow cards. The media were up in arms and we had talk of it being a non-contact sport but it was basically the best thing that could have happened.

"What happened was the referees had been away and been educated that 'that's not allowed anymore' and it has helped the English players and it's helped the Premier League become more technical.

"I just think the game in Scotland has probably been held back a little bit by that.

I think that's embarrassing 

The kind of shite Warburton would have come out with and be slaughtered but cos it's the myth that is Michael Beale it won't be

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

I think that's embarrassing 

The kind of shite Warburton would have come out with and be slaughtered but cos it's the myth that is Michael Beale it won't be

So you reckon refs in Scotland don't favour bullying tactics against Morelos  ?

Or do you think Scottish clubs failing miserably in Europe where the physyical approach is restricted and open football is more important is just coincidence ?

History and common sense would strongly suggest otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, tannerall said:

History would strongly suggest otherwise. 

Refs in Scotland are pish and we don't seem to be getting the run of the green. But it's an excuse leaned on far too often and has nothing to do with why we excell in Europe.

2 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Domestic and European games are certainly referred to different standards.  A lot more physicality is allowed in Scottish football than in Europe.  It's quite obvious really.

Archived