We look completely at ease in Europe

Born Sinner

Europe’s a free hit, so no real pressure, apart from the obvious of not getting knocked out by somebody totally diddy.

When loads of people regard it as success when you reach the last 16, then there’s no real jeopardy for failing &, well, nobody expected us to win it, anyway, so last 16 is fine, yes?

Compared to when the players are actually expected to DO something & win things.

That’s when the lead boots come on.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I said main to be fair.

I don't even think it's the main reason to be fair mate. And the "Gerrard out crew" patter is cringe. I canny speak for anyone on here but I would bet my bottom dollar there isn't one person on here doesn't want him to succeed. 

It’s a terrific result to beat a team that finished 5th in the Eredivisie 0-4 on their own pitch.  Galatasaray are a very strong side but I have every confidence in our teams ability to beat them.  We’ve been a real force in Europe Gerrard’s record in that front is brilliant. 

1 minute ago, Fragglerock said:

It's pretty simple in Europe we play sides that play football, in the Scottish league it's not football its dirty tackling and dirty tactics to injure and hack and do anything to stop football, aided by the referees. 

Apparently it's no that simple for some mate.

38 minutes ago, orange&blue92 said:

In Europe teams don’t sit back, we pump them, in Scotland they don’t. No rocket science about it.

Definitely a mentality aspect about it as well not just tactical. 
It’s how assured/ composed we look compared to the slackness and sometimes panic stations domestically.

15 minutes ago, TMB said:

It’s a terrific result to beat a team that finished 5th in the Eredivisie 0-4 on their own pitch.  Galatasaray are a very strong side but I have every confidence in our teams ability to beat them.  We’ve been a real force in Europe Gerrard’s record in that front is brilliant. 

I’m still waiting for the open top bus parade for reaching the last 16.

In the 2nd tier comp.

’Brilliant’ - catch a grip.

I will agree it’s a great result tonight.

5 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Apparently it's no that simple for some mate.

So you're agreeing with him that it's 'dirty tackling and dirty tactics to injure and hack'?

And what's the main difference that allows dirty tackling and dirty tactics to injure and hack?

Wouldn't be the refereeing would it?

12 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I don't even think it's the main reason to be fair mate. And the "Gerrard out crew" patter is cringe. I canny speak for anyone on here but I would bet my bottom dollar there isn't one person on here doesn't want him to succeed. 

Of course no-one is wanting us to lose the league. There's a difference between that and backing the manager though.

Plenty have the knives sharpened in case they're needed on a game by game basis.

10 minutes ago, Fragglerock said:

It's pretty simple in Europe we play sides that play football, in the Scottish league it's not football its dirty tackling and dirty tactics to injure and hack and do anything to stop football, aided by the referees. 

Spot on. Some of the cloggers in our league would be better suited to egg chasing.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

The main difference is the refereeing.

Unquestionably.

It's a combination of that, and our opponents are way less likely to throw ten men behind the ball..

Most of our opponents in Europe probably fancy themselves favourites against us.  They come at us and pay the price.

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Of course no-one is wanting us to lose the league. There's a difference between that and backing the manager though.

Plenty have the knives sharpened in case they're needed on a game by game basis.

But those knives have been sharpening not game by game, but almost 3 years of the same failings. Of 0 trophies in 6 attempts. Of repeated mistakes and inability to adapt and change when things aren't working. This manager has been backed unanimously, financially and by the fans. Time is and has been running out. I have always said it is too late to change manager at this point in the season but have lost a lot of faith in him domestically.

2 minutes ago, gogzy said:

It's a combination of that, and our opponents are way less likely to throw ten men behind the ball..

Most of our opponents in Europe probably fancy themselves favourites against us.  They come at us and pay the price.

Yeah I agree that's of course a big factor as well.

I'm struggling to remember the last time we went two games in a row and weren't talking about the referee/linesmen though.

For me, that's the main difference in that European football (generally speaking, they don't get everything right) doesn't allow an Edwards challenge on Morelos, or whoever the Hibs cunt was who stamped on Kent's achilles (I could go on but I'll be listing close to 50 examples over the past one or two seasons).

Getting those decisions right would change the outcome of games.

19 minutes ago, HG5 said:

I’m still waiting for the open top bus parade for reaching the last 16.

In the 2nd tier comp.

’Brilliant’ - catch a grip.

I will agree it’s a great result tonight.

True, but the money will be very welcome - particularly this season. Long may the run continue.

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

Win 4-0 away in Europe against a good team and we are still fighting among ourselves :lol:

Depends if your priorities are becoming a European mini-power or stopping your fiercest rivals setting a record that will blight your lifetime for years, or in some cases, forever.

I’m in the latter camp &, while I get the money implications of Europe, it’s no use if it’s spent badly and if it means the team doesn’t have it in them to compete in their main event.

Just now, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

True, but the money will be very welcome - particularly this season. Long may the run continue.

Yes mate - posted further down that I appreciate that - as long as it’s spent wisely.....

40 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

🤣🤣 Fucking outted. There is another username I had from 2016 which wasn't used. Might as well change my profile pic to my native Irish flag.

Let's settle this with one question. Do you think we do better in Europe solely down to better referees?

No, I never referred to it as the sole reason, that is your misguided and incorrect opinion again.but I do believe it contributes to two of the major reasons as below. 

1) European refs are not as biased or corrupt.

2) European refs allow less of the  physicality inherent in Scottish football, which is often focused on us, and lowers the standard of our game.

I also believe other reasons would pale in to insignificance.

What do you believe is the major reason?

People forget some of the decisions in Europe have been as bad as the league.

Young boys away - Morelos denied a pen

Young boys home - Morelos denied a pen

Feynoord at home - Morelos denied a pen

Feynoord away - Morelos denied a pen

Feynoord away - Ojo denied a pen

Rapid Vienna home - offside goal

Rapid Vienna away - Morelos penalty

Spartak at home - Grezda penalty

Spartak away - offside goal wrongly chopped.

Archived