We look completely at ease in Europe

Born Sinner

3 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

I don't really care what formation it is, we need 2 strikers on the park against the likes of hibs and the sheep 

Playing 2 up front makes it easier for the 10 man defense we so often see. Much better to have a fluid 4 and drag them out of position.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Playing 2 up front makes it easier for the 10 man defense we so often see. Much better to have a fluid 4 and drag them out of position.

When teams sit in you need your Centre Midfield and wingers to step up to the plate. Our wingers are our full backs and our central midfielders look like £50k worth 9 times out of ten. 

13 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I disagree as it depends on the opposition. Surley we can alter our formation to have 2 strikers on the park? 

11 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I think 2 up front can work but you really need the right combination for it. 

Morelos with either hagi or roofe playing off him, two wingers and two holding midfielders isn't altering our way of playing that much imo, would make us more of an attacking threat although I do accept we would be more likely to lose the odd goal. 

2 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

Morelos with either hagi or roofe playing off him, two wingers and two holding midfielders isn't altering our way of playing that much imo, would make us more of an attacking threat although I do accept we would be more likely to lose the odd goal. 

Playing 2 wingers doesn't affect our goal scoring and high assisting full backs who currently play as wingers?

12 hours ago, HG5 said:

I’m still waiting for the open top bus parade for reaching the last 16.

In the 2nd tier comp.

’Brilliant’ - catch a grip.

I will agree it’s a great result tonight.

You have to be really anti-Gerrard to try and downplay our European record after a 4-0 away win. Wow! 

8 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

It gives teams playing 451 or 352 a huge advantage in midfield though, which is where we are weakest. 

3 hours ago, TheFamousPigeon said:

This. 

The stench of green hanging about every corner of Scottish Football shows the big difference. 

Walking about teams better than St Midden in Europe; only to struggle against Sunday Team outfits domestically. So frustrating.

Wow man 

23 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

I disagree as it depends on the opposition. Surley we can alter our formation to have 2 strikers on the park? 

2 up front means switching to a formation like 4-4-2 which gets overrun in midfield.  Or a 3-5-2 which means Kent plays where?  

The 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 are solid formations as it is.  We don’t need 2 up front.

57 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

Who said 442?  And I didn't say I think it will happen? 

We need to adjust to teams sitting so defensive or results like Sunday will continue throughout the season 

The formation has been adjusted.  For the last two seasons we’ve used a 4-3-3.  We’re now using a 4-2-3-1 domestically.  The 4-2-3-1 is the same formation Brendan Rodgers used while at Celtic and it was pretty successful at breaking teams down.  

58 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

That’s not far off how we play already though.

The only thing we don’t do is ask the “wingers” to hug the touchline and go down the outside.

I do wonder if perhaps a draw back of having so many continental players in the team is that they value European success above domestic ... I don't see how we can go to Holland and win 4-0 but can't get the points at easter road if the attitude and application for 90 minutes remained the same 

5 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

We've been superb in Europe under Gerrard no doubt about it. Despite being underwhelming domestically our ability in Europe and the money gained from participation has no doubt been a reason why we're now one or two players away from the league title. Hopefully with a win against Galatasaray we can get that midfielder we all want.

This brings me to a theory I have on Gerrard and the board. This certainly depends on the result against Galatasaray but I think the board will be happy to keep Gerrard on next season even if we win nothing again domestically.

Obviously next year the top 2 get into Champions League qualifiers and I think the board will be happy to let Gerrard take those qualifiers with his euro record and the potential windfall at the end of it. Just looking at the some of the sides that have been in the CL main path this year don't strike fear into me and I assume the board; PAOK, Benfica, Dynamo Kiev, AZ, Gent, Rapid Vienna, Krasnodar, Viktoria Plzen, Besiktas & Lokomotiva Zagreb.

I think the fact that there will be no crowds about for a while might see the board get away with it even if we're out the league by March whereas if there were crowds the fan pressure might be too much for the board.

It's not my personal opinion and just a theory on the board who I think want the club standing on it's on two feet financially just as much as having trophies at this point and CL qualification would certainly help that.

You have excellent crystal ball 👍

16 hours ago, Born Sinner said:

We looked very comfortable tonight and it was never in doubt, I felt it was over after the first goal went in.

We've played a pub team from a town smaller than Arrochar and a team with no defence. I wouldn't get carried away just yet. Next Thursday is going to be a different kettle of fish altogether.

6 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I do wonder if perhaps a draw back of having so many continental players in the team is that they value European success above domestic ... I don't see how we can go to Holland and win 4-0 but can't get the points at easter road if the attitude and application for 90 minutes remained the same 

To think that the players don't value domestic success is a ludicrous suggestion mate.

2 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

We've played a pub team from a town smaller than Arrochar and a team with no defence. I wouldn't get carried away just yet. Next Thursday is going to be a different kettle of fish altogether.

We’ve more than proven ourselves in Europe already, that mob tonight finished 5th in the Eredivise they’re no pushovers. Beating them 4-0 away is not to be sniffed at.

But aye not keen on the next tie at all myself.

2 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Pub team :lol: 

Archived