*****The Official Rangers v Galatasaray Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if SG played Jones today with an eye on Thursday. He could be an advantage against a technically good but slow team, and Jones could unlock a few opportunities for us with his pace. Hagi might try too hard to impress for obvious reasons, so I'd have him on the bench and use him as an impact player if needed. 

5 hours ago, kanjo said:

Watched the first half of their game against Fenerbahce. 

I am confused about their style.  It seems defensive but it could be due to it being their derby.   

Not quick at all but they have a few technically good players. By far their best player appears to be Falcao who isn't very quick but his movement is good. 

I can see why they never won any of their UCL games last season and I'd say we have beaten far better... but they still pose a threat 

To be honest, Galatasaray - Fenerbahçe derbies have never been adequate games to analyze either teams since there is always a very high level of tension and physicality gets ahead of everything else. So, I totally can see why you are confused about Gala's style :)

To summarize, Gala started this season with a quite strong short-passing game which is based on travelling the ball at a very high pace with our technical offensive players like Falcao, Feghouli, Belhanda, Arda and Emre. I'd say it's similar to tiki-taka style of Spanish teams. However, it's true that non of those players are good athletes and they are not fast at all. Our attacking wing players, Arda and Feghouli, tend to use half spaces rather than wings and increasing the passing options in the central midfield while both of our really athletic wing backs, Saracchi and Elabdellaoui, are constantly joining the offense with their sprints, using the wide areas. I'd say the key player of Gala right now is our center back, Marcao. He is not just a really good left-footed defender overall, but he is playing almost like a deep-lying playmaker, starting almost all of our attacks (so you'd want to mark and keep him under pressure all the time). Our other centre back, Luyindama, is a very strong and physical player (especially great with defensive headers) so they make a good defensive duo. However Luyindama is not as athletic as before since he's still recovering from his injury. I expect Gala to sell both of these centre backs with quite high transfer fees to elite level teams soon. (Roma is already interested with Marcao.)

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Cant drop Arfield surely

Toss up between him and Hagi, very rarely do you see Arfield having 3 good games in a row. Not entirely certain Arfield and Davis can handle the thurs-sun back to back either. I’d start him on the bench and bring him on in the second half with the energy he brings. 

3 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Toss up between him and Hagi, very rarely do you see Arfield having 3 good games in a row. Not entirely certain Arfield and Davis can handle the thurs-sun back to back either. I’d start him on the bench and bring him on in the second half with the energy he brings. 

It's four mate if you include his second -half Dundee U performance. Gerrard said about Jones today : if you perform, you play". The same must surely apply to Scotty.

7 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

What age is Falco now? And us that Turkish president pumping money into Galatasaray? 

Strange how many top players end up in what should really be an Asian league. 

How old is Defoe? I had defoe while playing cm 2001 :) Are you comparing the Turkish league with your own mint league? If Rangers had played in the Turkish league, they would not have entered the top 10.

22 minutes ago, Yasofeifa said:

How old is Defoe? I had defoe while playing cm 2001 :) Are you comparing the Turkish league with your own mint league? If Rangers had played in the Turkish league, they would not have entered the top 10.

Allrigth Mehmet, send me a kids JS home tap would ye, cannae get one for golddust?

2 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

When we were already up 4-0. Should’ve buried it though. The boy is made for European football. Best brain in the team. Can see shit on the field that others don’t see. One of those players who can do nothing for a bit then put an incisive pass through. Very smart player. 

Morelos is better than Hagi at spotting a pass and getting it there.  Also has a great touch for one-twos.  I'm not anti-Hagi who can be  good at that but Alfredo is better.

1 minute ago, JCDBigBear said:

Morelos is better than Hagi at spotting a pass and getting it there.  Also has a great touch for one-twos.  I'm not anti-Hagi who can be  good at that but Alfredo is better.

Opinions mate. Think Hagi is way more intelligent, but he plays a different position as well. My money is on Hagi in a game of keepy uppy fwiw. 

43 minutes ago, Yasofeifa said:

Our league is pish.

No real Rangers fan worth their own salt has any fodness or respect for the rest of Scottish football (including the league) however, we are still a good team in spite of all that and I hope we pump you's even more for your pish now

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Opinions mate. Think Hagi is way more intelligent, but he plays a different position as well. My money is on Hagi in a game of keepy uppy fwiw. 

If you watch AM when he is not up front, say on the wing, he will often just ping a pass (with accuracy) to an unmarked player on the opposite side of the pitch.  Just one of his non-scoring attributes.   

6 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

If you watch AM when he is not up front, say on the wing, he will often just ping a pass (with accuracy) to an unmarked player on the opposite side of the pitch.  Just one of his non-scoring attributes.   

He does this at least twice a game and always lands it square on the foot of the player he's passing to. 

1 hour ago, Yasofeifa said:

Galatasaray would finish mid table in Scotland. 

final thought for you before bed time. 

as for Defoe... if what I seen from your last two games is anything to go by then Defoe should be the least of your concerns. 

54 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Galatasaray would finish mid table in Scotland. 

final thought for you before bed time. 

as for Defoe... if what I seen from your last two games is anything to go by then Defoe should be the least of your concerns. 

After the match, you will invite Gerrard to resign. You will put Hagi on the transfer list. While drinking my whiskey, I will follow the comments here after the game with pleasure. :)

2 hours ago, Yasofeifa said:

After the match, you will invite Gerrard to resign. You will put Hagi on the transfer list. While drinking my whiskey, I will follow the comments here after the game with pleasure. :)

That's whisky without an e. 

after Thursday you'll join the long list of European clubs who talk a good game but cannot handle Ibrox. 

6 hours ago, Yasofeifa said:

Yeez are shite ya moon unit 

Archived