Bassey

caps13gb

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Yes

Nothing ambitious is probably harsh, but not too far from the truth.

I think he did well offensively, Tav just had a fantastic game. 

But it depends what you'd expect from Bassey going forward, I thought he got down the line plenty. 

Thought he looked pretty solid against Motherwell but that there wasn't too much for him to deal with, either.

But aye, anything he had to deal with he did do (and comfortably).

Not saying he offered nothing going forward, I just didn't really notice any forward contributions from him - but if someone has highlights or stats of him doing so then fair enough, happy to stand corrected.

I'm cautious though because most of the other times I've thought he's looked ropy and (not trying to take credit away) Motherwell were probably gubbed after their game in the Israel heat (coupled with the flight) and that's not just in Bassey's case - it's something we need to be mindful of before getting too carried away with some players performances.

But all that aside, for me what it came down to (a tired Motherwell or not) is the fact that we were clinical and assertive as a team - which we are usually lacking. So that's what pleased me most.

Whisper it .... but he looks a lot more dynamic than Barisic going forward ....

Obviously Barisic has a superb delivery but is a tad predictable in the final third ie whip in a great cross before hitting the by line.

Bassey charges into the box, hits the bye lines, cuts inside.

Really exciting prospect.

Fucking solid too. Got seriously clattered by two Motherwell players at the same time and pretty much bounced back up.

4 minutes ago, beararse said:

Obviously Barisic has a superb delivery but is a tad predictable in the final third ie whip in a great cross before hitting the by line.

Fucking solid too. Got seriously clattered by two Motherwell players at the same time and pretty much bounced back up.

Oaff mate 😂

D425AEB1-0351-453E-ADB5-1BA018D152D3.gif

40 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Nothing ambitious is probably harsh, but not too far from the truth.

I think he did well offensively, Tav just had a fantastic game. 

But it depends what you'd expect from Bassey going forward, I thought he got down the line plenty. 

I’ll give you that

4 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Keen to not do anything overly ambitious which is why Tav on the other side had a MOTM performance. He needed to drive forward but chose caution.  

hope he develops his game to give Borna the fear 

tbf i don't think we should be thinking of him like that. I really think we will only keep hold of borna for a season or two before cashing in (while he is still a valuable asset and age isn't too far gone) so even if bassey develops well and is featuring in 15-20 games a season, which is probably around a third of the games we will play, hopefully he will develop into a future replacement. Without getting too excited or jinxing him of course. Early signs are positive IMO

2 minutes ago, stevemac said:

tbf i don't think we should be thinking of him like that. I really think we will only keep hold of borna for a season or two before cashing in (while he is still a valuable asset and age isn't too far gone) so even if bassey develops well and is featuring in 15-20 games a season, which is probably around a third of the games we will play, hopefully he will develop into a future replacement. Without getting too excited or jinxing him of course. Early signs are positive IMO

I think he will be gone after this Season if the Euro's go ahead, if he has a gd tournament with Croatia then it will add some value to him. 

3 hours ago, beararse said:

Fair point. Nothing worse than your full back whipping in a great ball 🙄

Borna is on a different level at the minute but what a back up we have here. Genuinely nae concerns with Bassey and Barasic rotating at all. 

Tav looks back to his best and it will be difficult for Patterson to get game time since Tavs never injured. Got full confidence if Patterson was to start at home in the ‘lesser’ games also. 

9 hours ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

I think he will be gone after this Season if the Euro's go ahead, if he has a gd tournament with Croatia then it will add some value to him. 

The possibility of CL football could tempt him to stay. Same with Morelos. An early exit in the qualifiers or a bid from a CL team obviously could change that though. He is the type we need to make the groups and then no need to cash in

9 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Fair point. Nothing worse than your full back whipping in a great ball 🙄

Never said there was, nor did I say Barisic wasn’t the better player but it’s pretty obvious, even just looking at them, that Bassey offers something different and has shown it in the limited game time he’s had.

Good position to find ourselves in, assuming Bassey contributed to perform when called on, and let’s face it Barisic will be away next season (at the latest).

6 minutes ago, ThenNowForever said:

The possibility of CL football could tempt him to stay. Same with Morelos. An early exit in the qualifiers or a bid from a CL team obviously could change that though. He is the type we need to make the groups and then no need to cash in

We still need to cash in.... you sell when their stock is high then reinvest across the team.

Otherwise the business model that needs followed doesn’t work.

9 hours ago, stevemac said:

You really shouldn’t be thinking about cashing in on one of our better players. 

We need them at the club for as long as possible as it’s the only way we win things.  

id prefer he went on a free having helped win a handful of trophies than selling him at his peak having won fuck all. 

2 minutes ago, beararse said:

We still need to cash in.... you sell when their stock is high then reinvest across the team.

That's unfortunately the position we are in, as is most of world football outside the very top leagues. Champs league revenue would make a huge difference, but we don't have that yet.

You just need to hope the scouting is good enough that we reinvest wisely. 

14 minutes ago, beararse said:

Our success over the years was not built on this model. The most successful teams don’t need to turn over players as they keep hold of their better players and therefore get revenue through winning stuff and attracting investors and advertising. 
it’s a really difficult balance for us at this time as we need the income and success. 

If we sell off our better players at their peak we will get stuck in a perpetual - sell - buy - develop - sell .......

and this model is detrimental to success  

32 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

You really shouldn’t be thinking about cashing in on one of our better players. 

We need them at the club for as long as possible as it’s the only way we win things.  

id prefer he went on a free having helped win a handful of trophies than selling him at his peak having won fuck all. 

id honestly love to see him retire with us with a trophy haul but we need to be in a position of buying low and selling high. I'd only want him to be sold after winning something, be it scottish cup/league cup or the league (obviously league being the priority especially this year) same with morelos, adds to their value too. Hopefully they do that at least. May be a blessing that the international tournament has been put back a year for our sakes.

Archived