Bassey

caps13gb

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/09/2020 at 14:28, Malkytfp1 said:

Agree. Much better back up that we have had.

Should never ever be used as a centre back again though as he is suspect when played there. Complete athlete of a boy.

Never say never ,Lots of good centre half’s start their career at fullback .And long term he does look more suited to centre half ,Todays fullbacks ain’t defenders anymore 

2 hours ago, beararse said:

We still need to cash in.... you sell when their stock is high then reinvest across the team.

Otherwise the business model that needs followed doesn’t work.

A business model that may need tweaked if we get CL football. Especially if there is an automatic place up for grabs. The scum have blown it against teams I would fancy us to beat also. Point taken as things stand though as it’s a gamble to hold on to valuable players

2 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

Think tbf what he's meaning to say is that Basey looks a wee bit more like a Tav type of barrelling, slaloming past type of FB rather than a classy technical style that Barisic has.

I meant saying he looks more dynamic than Barisic, boys actually believe he’s the best left back in Europe 

4 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

Think tbf what he's meaning to say is that Basey looks a wee bit more like a Tav type of barrelling, slaloming past type of FB rather than a classy technical style that Barisic has.

Couldn't have put it better myself...and didnt :) 

That's exactly it.

Barisic is class (albeit a bit one dimensional IMO).

Bassey appears much more unpredictable and combative on recent showings.

From what i've seen id put Bassey down as a David Robertson type full back.

27 minutes ago, beararse said:

What model is the best fit for Rangers then once everything is taken into consideration?

Genuine question, not trying to be smart.

I know you’re not being smart. 👍

Scouting is vital but not just youngsters with potential, But players doing the business under the radar (Morelos is a fine example)

BUT don’t flog them before they bring us success, cash is king but (let’s stick with Morelos) imagine selling someone that’s consistently won stuff it’s better no?

WE are the priority not cashing in.  

a winning team can increase revenue like sponsorship, inward investment and advertising. Everyone wants to be part of the success. 
But as I said it’s a fine balance to get it right. If we turn our model into buy cheap sell high then we are destined to win fuck all as we are continually turning over staff with all the upheaval that brings. 

which is why I really think that is the current model (My suggestion) proved by knocking back bids for our best players  if that wins us trophies this year then our board/manager have got it right and those players will stick around to be part of it   

just my thoughts 

32 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Bassey has shown that he is a decent back up for Borna. Just as Patterson is for Tav.

Gerrard has got what he wanted. Strengh in depth so that a player being injured or suspended can be replaced with little drop in quality. We did not have that last season. 

Why is it that our first team picks are not looking over their shoulder having to up their game in case the lose their starting position. 

why are our “back ups” just that?

13 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Why is it that our first team picks are not looking over their shoulder having to up their game in case the lose their starting position. 

why are our “back ups” just that?

I think everyone is, right down to the goalkeeper. Part of the reason why we’ve been so good this season.

5 hours ago, magic8ball said:

Never say never ,Lots of good centre half’s start their career at fullback .And long term he does look more suited to centre half ,Todays fullbacks ain’t defenders anymore 

He has the physical attributes but he has looked incredibly suspect anytime I have seen him there..

56 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I know you’re not being smart. 👍

Scouting is vital but not just youngsters with potential, But players doing the business under the radar (Morelos is a fine example)

BUT don’t flog them before they bring us success, cash is king but (let’s stick with Morelos) imagine selling someone that’s consistently won stuff it’s better no?

WE are the priority not cashing in.  

a winning team can increase revenue like sponsorship, inward investment and advertising. Everyone wants to be part of the success. 
But as I said it’s a fine balance to get it right. If we turn our model into buy cheap sell high then we are destined to win fuck all as we are continually turning over staff with all the upheaval that brings. 

which is why I really think that is the current model (My suggestion) proved by knocking back bids for our best players  if that wins us trophies this year then our board/manager have got it right and those players will stick around to be part of it   

just my thoughts 

Boils down to risk at the end of the day. Do you speculate to accumulate? If that strategy is successful, great. If it fails then right back to square one.

I can see where you are coming from. I personally would choose a firmer foundation (sustainable finances and perpetual reinvestment) over 'immediate' success in order to build a more successful long term future rather than potentially cutting off our noses to spite of face in chasing a single title.

I also don't think there would be that much of a financial lift in sponsorship if we were a success domestically. There are only two teams in Scotland. I will happily stand to be corrected but i don't think celtic, CL games aside, will pull that much more commercially.  

I couldn't give a flying fuck in celtic win 10 or 11 in a row if it meant we reinvested the vast sums mentioned from player sales and strengthened and became the domestic powerhouse for the foreseeable thereafter. Winning say 5 leagues out of the next 7 is much more appealing than winning the next one then go back to struggling again.

Obviously the Holy Grail is the CL and the money the group stages would represent but we are nowhere near that at present and may not be for some time.

How long do we 'stretch' ourselves before cashing in? 

1 hour ago, beararse said:

Boils down to risk at the end of the day. Do you speculate to accumulate? If that strategy is successful, great. If it fails then right back to square one.

I can see where you are coming from. I personally would choose a firmer foundation (sustainable finances and perpetual reinvestment) over 'immediate' success in order to build a more successful long term future rather than potentially cutting off our noses to spite of face in chasing a single title.

I also don't think there would be that much of a financial lift in sponsorship if we were a success domestically. There are only two teams in Scotland. I will happily stand to be corrected but i don't think celtic, CL games aside, will pull that much more commercially.  

I couldn't give a flying fuck in celtic win 10 or 11 in a row if it meant we reinvested the vast sums mentioned from player sales and strengthened and became the domestic powerhouse for the foreseeable thereafter. Winning say 5 leagues out of the next 7 is much more appealing than winning the next one then go back to struggling again.

Obviously the Holy Grail is the CL and the money the group stages would represent but we are nowhere near that at present and may not be for some time.

How long do we 'stretch' ourselves before cashing in? 

I actually agree with much of what you say including the bit about the tims. 
but stickability Is key too. We can’t moan and cry about our set up without building those strong foundations. I’ve never ever been a fan of rinse and repeat strategies 

52 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I actually agree with much of what you say including the bit about the tims. 
but stickability Is key too. We can’t moan and cry about our set up without building those strong foundations. I’ve never ever been a fan of rinse and repeat strategies 

natural order will resume in time, always does. would be good if we could have our cake and eat it, sadly players performing well will draw attenion. Double edged sword. Hopefully win on Thursday, keep a hold of 3  from 4 and bring in a couple of faces.

• 1 month later...

Another very strong showing again today. I know it was men against boys, but he's still plying his trade. Wonderful cross for Tav, and also like the fact he now looks very comfortable in there. Not quite the rabbit in the headlights type showing we saw a couple of times last season. 

3 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

Another very strong showing again today. I know it was men against boys, but he's still plying his trade. Wonderful cross for Tav, and also like the fact he now looks very comfortable in there. Not quite the rabbit in the headlights type showing we saw a couple of times last season

He only signed in the summer...

I was a little concerned about going into the season with only him as cover for LB, but he's shown a lot of promise so far for me. He offers quite a lot offensively which is good, as the fear was if Barisic was out then we wouldn't be as dynamic down both sides, but he's very athletic, can bulldoze his way down that left wing and he has a good delivery too. For me, he just needs to work on sensing danger defensively.

All in all, looking a great bit of business so far.

On 29/09/2020 at 13:25, markem said:

Wonder if the coaching team will take a look at him with other positions in mind. 

Holding mid - eating raw tarriers. 

Although our midfield is performing well and we have good options on the bench,  I could see Bassey as a left sided midfielder if we hit a run of injuries, suspensions, loss of form,  that could be a real solid replacement in a worse case scenario 

Archived