This Hagi Myth

BridgeIsBlue

Read a thing about Hagi before he joined on loan saying he’ll give the ball away a lot because he always tries to create chances.

Could play the Ryan Jack option and go very safe 99% of the time, but the guy with vision needs to be allowed to take chances with the ball.

Didn’t think he had a great game, but his contribution for the goal was brilliant. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Footwork for the first goal is superb. He’ll always try the hard pass to make something happen and likely give the ball away doing so a lot... but he only needs 1/2 to come off. Need a player like that vs the jobbers but can be difficult in Europe turning the ball over too much. 

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Footwork for the first goal is superb. He’ll always try the hard pass to make something happen and likely give the ball away doing so a lot... but he only needs 1/2 to come off. Need a player like that vs the jobbers but can be difficult in Europe turning the ball over too much. 

I think the benefit is we may not rely on him as much in more open, free flowing european games against teams that just come to play and attack us as much as we attack them. We get more opportunities against teams that aren't sitting 10 men behind the ball from our other attacking options (arfield, aribo etc) so its good to have that depth and not put too much pressure on him to be the big impact player, especially with him being a young and developing player

• 3 weeks later...

He's a class act, simples. A proper footballer. His dad taught him the right stuff. 

As he matures he'll learn better how to use his skills a lot more subtly against the hammer throwers who inhibit him physically, and those players around him who do not see the bigger picture in the game, and he will shine amongst, and alongside, a higher standard of player. 

He's the new Arteta in my opinion, and like Arteta he may have to move to a higher standard to fulfil his talent. Really hope he is allowed to shows his class for us instead.

14 minutes ago, tannerall said:

He's a class act, simples. A proper footballer. His dad taught him the right stuff. 

As he matures he'll learn better how to use his skills a lot more subtly against the hammer throwers who inhibit him physically, and those players around him who do not see the bigger picture in the game, and he will shine amongst, and alongside, a higher standard of player. 

He's the new Arteta in my opinion, and like Arteta he may have to move to a higher standard to fulfil his talent. Really hope he is allowed to shows his class for us instead.

Is arteta a better manager than Gerrard though? 

Not exactly on topic with the thread but, Lille paid £27m for that striker Jonathan David who has apparently been shite for them.  Yet, Genk sold us Hagi for a rumoured £3m.  The valuations don’t seem to make any sense.  Hagi is worth a lot more than we paid Genk. 

19 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

People were wanting him dropped earlier on in the season despite him still contributing assists to the side. 

That's because people are idiots.

The boy is young and is learning his game at a pressure strapped club with an incredibly impatient fanbase but he will be fine. We have seen in glimpses what he can do and even some of our best ever players had off games and were ineffective but as time goes on we remember the good things they done. I'm not saying Hagi will become a great but he can go on to be a decent player for us and possibly earn us serious money in the future.

I personally like Hagi and what he has to offer but I still haven’t seen anything to change what I thought the majority opinion on him would be when we signed him permanently and that is while he is a technically gifted player who will contribute, there will always be some people among the support who won’t appreciate that because he isn’t a blood and thunder type player and he can drift in and out of games.

Hopefully as he gets older his consistency will improve and if it does then we are unquestionably on to a winner, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see his career with us playing out in a similar manner to how somebody like Thomas Buffel‘s did either.

17 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Always good to see a player who is willing to listen, take things on board then put them in to practice in order to improve his own technique. Hagi has bags of talent. Hopefully we see more consistency as he matures. 

Either foot as well

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

What is the whole story?

Well you'd think looking at his stats alone that he's had an individually very good season, when in fact most people that have watched him in every game would tell you different. Could actually pick out 3 of his 6 assist stats alone as very, very generous. 

Not to say he's been shite but he has been more of a disappointment than anything else so far this season despite what his stats say, coupled with some very poor performances in that time. 

I think Gerrard is managing him really well tbh. He's a young lad who's going to be inconsistent, Gerrard and his coaching team will build his confidence and we've already seen he can contribute with goals and assists.

He's a valuable member of the squad and he's only going to get better.

Archived