Barker

Blues Brother

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

To be fair mate I’m not the person who put him in the team. SG is the man and he played at a decent level.

From past performances I’d wrote him off but I thought he looked a different player pre season and after an injury setback he came on today and made an impact producing an end product.

Whether he can now produce this on a consistent basis remains to be seen.

I don't think he will be a regular starter for us,  not every player on the team has to be that.

He's only 24 so his best years are probably still in front of him. He's played or England under 18's to under 20'  Gerrard clearly sees something in him in training.   He can do a job for us from the bench,  his speed will be a real asset against tired legs.  He might also be a confidence player, a good run in the team, and a few goals could set his season off.

I'd be much more comfortable if we signed another player who could be an easy 1st team pick for RW.  It's definitely one of our least strong positions.

PLenty players have looked poor to start with us and then went on to do a great job for us.

9 hours ago, Real Ranger said:

Barisic wasn’t good enough 2 seasons ago in a team that wasn’t good enough.

Players can improve and develop as can teams.

How the fuck some fans don’t understand this I’ll never know.

Barisic showed against us he was good enough and was in the Croatian National team. He moved from a different country and culture there was always going to be a settling in period.

Not sure how you can compare that to two guys who have been in the league for years who have about 5 good performances between them in 2 year.

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Because some real fans have played the game mate. Barker has nothing more than speed and that is the only reason he has got this opportunity.  He is a shite football player with no vision and no end product.

If you think he does, I guarantee you never played at a decent level. 

Not meaning to have a go btw.

Never read such utter nonsense in all my life. You don’t need to have played the game to know if a player is good or bad. If he is so bad then how does he end up at Manchester City, Hibernian and Rangers? 

50 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

Never read such utter nonsense in all my life. You don’t need to have played the game to know if a player is good or bad. If he is so bad then how does he end up at Manchester City, Hibernian and Rangers? 

Same way as Harry Maguire plays for Leicester, Man Utd and England.

Barker is highly thought of by Gerrard. Like most of us I had written him off after last season. He has done much better in the games he has featured in this season. To soon to think we have uncovered a new first team regular. But he shown enough to justify his place in the squad.

He is a much better option than Jones when facing the low block. 

17 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Barker will never be some superstar for us, but there's no way we will ever afford a really consistent winger. He's a decent option and it'll be a long season. He has a part to play as will Jones.

It’s the world we live in these days ,Most of the players we bring in will be missing a key quality of some sort ,Thr complete player will get offered far more than we can afford with a huge fee to match .

Barker has a lot of good qualities but lacks self belief.if we get some self belief into him then we have a pretty good player 

6 hours ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Barisic showed against us he was good enough and was in the Croatian National team. He moved from a different country and culture there was always going to be a settling in period.

Not sure how you can compare that to two guys who have been in the league for years who have about 5 good performances between them in 2 year.

In his first game against us Barker demonstrated he has ability.

Barisic was much the same, played well in the 2 games against us but in his first full season he was shite and showed no heart on the pitch, in his second season he looked a different player.

Based on the few games he was involved in  last season Barker wasn’t good enough but similar to Barisic, in his second season there are indications that he can be far more effective and contribute to the team.

As I said it remains to be seen if he can keep it up on a consistent basis but Stevie Gerrard must see something in him.

The quality and strength of our squad gets better every month and hopefully more so in the next few hours.

But the fact remains. we should never have bought Barker, Jones, Hastie & Stewart. When everyone is fit and with one or two new transfers coming in today, these players will be lucky to even make the squad of 18 in the coming weeks.

I'm still on the fence with Jones but not the others.

19 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

In his first game against us Barker demonstrated he has ability.

Barisic was much the same, played well in the 2 games against us but in his first full season he was shite and showed no heart on the pitch, in his second season he looked a different player.

Based on the few games he was involved in  last season Barker wasn’t good enough but similar to Barisic, in his second season there are indications that he can be far more effective and contribute to the team.

As I said it remains to be seen if he can keep it up on a consistent basis but Stevie Gerrard must see something in him.

We keep hearing how fantastic he is in training - so Gerrard rightly follows through to match day only to sit shaking his head most of the time. 

7 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

Didn't mean to come across so offensive last night mate. Too many post-match swallies. No harm meant mate.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

We keep hearing how fantastic he is in training - so Gerrard rightly follows through to match day only to sit shaking his head most of the time. 

Think you just made that last bit up.

After last season I didn’t think we’d see him again but from what I’ve seen from him so far (early stages ) he looks like he can do a job for us.

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

Think you just made that last bit up.

After last season I didn’t think we’d see him again but from what I’ve seen from him so far (early stages ) he looks like he can do a job for us.

I think you will find nothing I say is made up ffs. 
I’m proper ITK

👍

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

The quality and strength of our squad gets better every month and hopefully more so in the next few hours.

But the fact remains. we should never have bought Barker, Jones, Hastie & Stewart.

So the squad is getting better each passing month with Barker, Jones and Stewart in it, but we shouldn't have bought them? 

Honestly don't understand how you arrive at opinions like the above saying the quality is getting better every 4 weeks, we've only just entered October :lol:

7 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

So the squad is getting better each passing month with Barker, Jones and Stewart in it, but we shouldn't have bought them? 

Honestly don't understand how you arrive at opinions like the above saying the quality is getting better every 4 weeks, we've only just entered October :lol:

The squad is getting better meaning Stewart, Hastie  are no where near it and when Aribo and Roofe get back, jones and barker will be on the outside looking in as well. Pretty simple assumption really.

Archived