Jim Clark - Legend

hawkfalcons

Completely different era and time.

However Clark's racing record speaks volumes, its outstanding across multiple formats and formulae.

Very much an under appreciated Scottish sportsman. He was probably the best in the world (across all motorsport) at the time of his his death, something few Scots have achieved in a mainstream sport.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Completely different era and time.

However Clark's racing record speaks volumes, its outstanding across multiple formats and formulae.

Very much an under appreciated Scottish sportsman, as he was truly the best in the world at his death.

That was the amazing thing about Clark, he would race in so many different forms of motorsport.

As much as he's remembered for driving formula one cars he also drove a lotus cortina and Indy cars.

Phenomenal driver.

Enjoyed that . Always knew of Jim Clark but didn't know that much about him . 

Seemed to get on well with Jackie Stewart and Graham Hill . 

As an aside , i pass Jackie Stewart's old house just outside Dumbarton every day , going to work .

4 minutes ago, hawkfalcons said:

Would need to check mate

The first Formula One World Champion to win the Indy 500 and till date the only driver to win both the Indy 500 and the Formula One World Title in the same season is Jim Clark.

The Scottish driver had already won the 1963 F1 Driver's Championship with Lotus, and on his way to the 1965 title, he and Lotus decided to stop by in the USA.

Driving in a rear-engine Lotus, Clark qualified behind Indycar legend AJ Foyt, and took the race from him within the opening few laps. By lap 3, Jim Clark was in the lead and maintained first place until the end of the race upon which he was crowned the winner of the 1965 Indy 500. 

5 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Not a huge motorsport fan, but isnt he still the only person to win the Indy500 and F1?. 

There's a few drivers who have won the Indy 500 and an F1 world championship. 

Graham Hill, whose the only person to win the 'triple crown' - Indy, Monaco GP and Le Mans 24 Hrs

Emmerson Fittipaldi (who won Indy twice), Mario Andretti and Jacques Villenueve won the Indy 500 and F1 world championships.

Fangio said that Jim Clark was the best ever, good enough for me.

Different gravy back then, drivers were being killed regularly, tracks were lethal and the drivers had no protection.

The current world champ might well break all the records, he is a very talented driver, esp good in the wet, but there's always gonna be the suspicion that being the fastest at Mercedes was all hes ever had to be.

I hate documentaries and can never watch them to the end, but I've just watched that whole thing! Great stuff. What a guy. Before my time, but wish I'd been able to witness his achievements. You can tell just how much he was loved and revered by the emotion in everyone's faces 40 years on! 

• Clemdog changed the title to Jim Clark - Legend

Archived