Lulu

The Widow's Son

19 minutes ago, Fragglerock said:

My second cousins aunts dad whose grandfather was related to lulu's mothers adopted half brothers cousin once saw lulu in a newspaper, is she a Rangers supporter? Who gives a fuck 😂

None of this is true 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, jintybear said:

My mum used to be a barmaid in Carntyne and she said after she found fame she would occasionally come in and act all posh as though she was someone important but after a few G & Ts she would revert back to type! My mum actually liked her though and no she wasn’t her cousin! 

Pretty much what I’ve been told too,  even to this day when she forgets herself the broad neddy accent gets brought out 

19 hours ago, 32Blue said:

lhn67788.jpg.6ac1f2dbc02a55b54f1995185823976b.jpg

She should do what Rod Stewart did .She is famous now .She should come out and tell everyone ,she’s a diehard fan .I mean it worked for that tramp Stewart .Never seen at bheaatville until 2012🤔Now he trumpets himself and family, that they are the clubs celebrity couple 

On 12/10/2020 at 15:23, BallochBear said:

That was the new one that I actually worked on during its construction phase.  I mean the original one in Whitehill St. that I left in '68.

I left in 73, and that was the 'old' one in Whitehill St.

From the link about Edmiston House:

"Lulu appeared at the club quite a few times. She would do a show in front of the 400 members and would then go for a private show down the stair. "The Drifters were another regular act there - I saw them about four or five times. You would get other acts there, too, like stage hypnotists." Matt Monro, Brenda Lee and Bob Monkhouse were other stars who entertained at the social club.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14617310.herald-picture-archive-rangers-open-the-best-social-club-in-the-world/#comments-anchor

Two comments in the article and surprise surprise it looks like two micks

On 11/10/2020 at 22:29, The Widow's Son said:

Just watching "To Sir With Love" this morning which features signature song by Lulu.  Remember reading somewhere years ago that she was a Rangers fan.  True? 

For some reason I really like that film.  I watched a documentary on her a while back, and she said that her Grandparents were Protestant on one side and RC on the other.  Don’t recall her mentioning teams to be honest but could easily be wrong.

On 12/10/2020 at 09:14, cr3_bear said:

She done one of those programmes about her family tree am sure and her family were all orangemen. 

From the program: 

"The 1927-8 register of members for the Ladies' Orange Lodge 52 reveals Lulu's great grandmother, Helen Snr at the top of the list, as the Worthy Mistress. Elaine explains to Lulu that Helen Kennedy headed up 165 women in her local lodge. Having opened in 1909, the Ladies' Orange Lodges then grew into a mass movement during the 1920s. It was an organisation that attracted working class women to join in order to socialize and have a voice in public affairs and by the early 1930s the women had outnumbered the men in the Scottish Order.

Lulu's great grandmother appears in the minute books of the Lodge where she is running meetings and opening dances, some of which extended into the early hours of the morning! In the TV programme Lulu is able to have a go at banging the bible-shaped gavel that Helen would have used in the meetings. This item was a symbol of the scriptural principles that the Lodge had been founded upon.

Elaine is able to explain to Lulu how Helen would have also led the way in religious parades. Lulu is gathering an image of her great grandmother - a fearless woman and strong leader. Testimony to this is found within the pages of minutes for the 1929 Ladies conference of the Grand Lodge of Scotland (the Order's governing body). Lulu notices that her great grandmother is in this record as the Worthy Grand Mistress, the first person to hold that position. Helen was the first woman to chair the ladies' conference; previous to this the role had been the preserve of a man. While being an important moment for women in the Order, it was also important for Helen herself as it was a recognition of her personal standing in the organisation as well as her climb to the top of the hierarchy."

On 11/10/2020 at 23:05, govanblue said:

Lulu's from Dennistoun right enough, but just for the record, here's where she borrowed her 'unique' vocal style from...

Kinning Park.  :tu:

Sensational GB
Wee trip down memory lane and knew a couple of his band (were Tear Gas)who were local guys.
As far back as early 70's.

Archived