Got a leaflet through the door for this the day - heard the advert on the radio a few times but mostly ignored it. 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

Basically a new legislation that fire alarms need to be of a certain standard / linked within the property. 

Q: How many alarms are required to meet the standards?

A: The standard requires:

one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes

one smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings

one heat alarm installed in every kitchen

All alarms should be ceiling mounted and interlinked.

Where there is a carbon-fuelled appliance (such as boilers, fires (including open fires) and heaters) or a flue, a carbon monoxide detector is also required which does not need to be linked to the fire alarms.

Q: I own my home – who will pay for these alarms?

A: Any costs will be the responsibility of home owners and landlords. The cost of the alarms will vary according to what you currently have in place and the alarms you choose to install We estimate that the cost for an average three bedroom house which requires three smoke alarms, one heat alarm and one carbon monoxide detector will be around £220. This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired alarm.

You must comply to the new legislation by February 2021.

pish 

37 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Got a leaflet through the door for this the day - heard the advert on the radio a few times but mostly ignored it. 

Basically a new legislation that fire alarms need to be of a certain standard / linked within the property. 

one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes

one smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings

Where there is a carbon-fuelled appliance (such as boilers, fires (including open fires) and heaters) or a flue, a carbon monoxide detector is also required which does not need to be linked to the fire alarms.

A: Any costs will be the responsibility of home owners and landlords. The cost of the alarms will vary according to what you currently have in place and the alarms you choose to install We estimate that the cost for an average three bedroom house which requires three smoke alarms, one heat alarm and one carbon monoxide detector will be around £220. This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired alarm.

pish 

You must comply... :lol: I'll not be putting a smoke alarm in my living room.

1 hour ago, Dan Deacon said:

pish 

Rental properties have had to have these for a while now, had to install a few when I was a slum landlord. 

Dan Deacon likes this