Barker

fin8577

Can see why Gerrard picked him but don’t think the game played out entirely the way Gerrard expected. Barker would have been great on the counter, but we probably dominated and were more comfortable than first thought.

If he plays on and off and chips in with assists & 10 goals, that’ll do me.

Was just reading Jordan Campbell's post match article in The Athletic and he made a really interesting point about Barker. As 12 of the squad were away on international duty, there was only a handful of players left to work intensively on the tactical setup. He believed this is why Barker got the nod whilst Jack/Hagi/Jones were all away as he had a chance to work on the shape, specifically when nullifying Celtic when they had the ball.

It may explain that while he maybe had a quiet game from an attacking point of view, he was trusted to be disciplined and be a key member of the team defence, which I'm sure we can all agree was the most impressive part of our overall performance yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Shetland Bear said:

Was just reading Jordan Campbell's post match article in The Athletic and he made a really interesting point about Barker. As 12 of the squad were away on international duty, there was only a handful of players left to work intensively on the tactical setup. He believed this is why Barker got the nod whilst Jack/Hagi/Jones were all away as he had a chance to work on the shape, specifically when nullifying celtic when they had the ball.

It may explain that while he maybe had a quiet game from an attacking point of view, he was trusted to be disciplined and be a key member of the team defence, which I'm sure we can all agree was the most impressive part of our overall performance yesterday. 

I personally thought the decision was down to who would be more disciplined and we couldn’t have two potential liabilities in the team. Whatever the reason was, we won!

On 17/10/2020 at 14:56, JM1872 said:

Can see why Gerrard picked him but don’t think the game played out entirely the way Gerrard expected. Barker would have been great on the counter, but we probably dominated and were more comfortable than first thought.

If he plays on and off and chips in with assists & 10 goals, that’ll do me.

Can you let us know when he's going to begin please, because he's fucking awful.

He doesn't play with his head up. He has the speed and the ability but he doesn't see what's ahead of him because he plays with his head down and therefore, he can't read a game.

All that speed and dribbling skills means nothing when you play like that.

10 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Can you let us know when he's going to begin please, because he's fucking awful.

Sadly I don’t know & subsequently don’t think he will, hence why I said “if” 😂.

We can only hope. If only Hagi had his pace.

Jones could’ve played that side of the pitch.  Jones has scored at Parkhead a couple of times.  Jones also has the pace to chase back with Frimpong.  With the benefit of his sight it might have been a better option.  We win though so who cares.

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

Jones could’ve played that side of the pitch.  Jones has scored at Parkhead a couple of times.  Jones also has the pace to chase back with Frimpong.  With the benefit of his sight it might have been a better option.  We win though so who cares.

To me, the obvious choice before Barker was not Jones but Hagi. I know he is only 21 but the fact Gerrard didn't trust him in an OF game raised my eyebrows. I fully expect Gerrard to play Hagi on Thursday. Jones is a squad player.

On 17/10/2020 at 15:10, psb07158 said:

Did one brilliant run then played Kent in and Ajer just got back on him

I'm starting to think there's some sort of player in there, we just need to unlock him and keep giving him confidence to play 

Which led to a corner for us which led to Goldsons second.  

For that alone he warranted his starting position. 

3 hours ago, Shetland Bear said:

Was just reading Jordan Campbell's post match article in The Athletic and he made a really interesting point about Barker. As 12 of the squad were away on international duty, there was only a handful of players left to work intensively on the tactical setup. He believed this is why Barker got the nod whilst Jack/Hagi/Jones were all away as he had a chance to work on the shape, specifically when nullifying Celtic when they had the ball.

That’s a really good observation.

Not quite taking into account the fact that he usually nullifies us when we’ve got the ball!🙈

Made a good tackle though👍

Archived