*****The Official Standard Liège v Rangers Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Having read The Athletic's article in full, I can understand why Gerrard plays him.

As much as he is limited as a footballer, he carries out the instructions and highly structured tactic that Gerrard wants from his wingers to a tee. I'm simplifying the article quite a bit here, but essentially Barker uses his pace to get back into position quickly and that forces the opposition to knock it from side to side or hit it long, without them being able to truly penetrate the wide areas by the full backs being exposed or the middle by there being an easy pass to that area. The reason I believe Hagi and Jones are not playing as often in that position is because Hagi isn't as good at following instructions and suits a free role better (he also lacks a great deal of pace to get back into position at the speed Gerrard wants), while Jones does have a lot of pace in the games I've watched him in he appears to be less inclined to drop back for defensive duties, something which is essential for the tactic (especially in big games) to work.

In a funny way Barker is doing a similar sort of role to the one that Candeias used to do for us. I think Gerrard (in big games at least) would rather sacrifice a more creative player like Hagi or Jones for someone who fits in better to his system as a whole, like Barker. While I agree with you that he's not a good player, at least in comparison to say, Hagi, I believe he allows greater creative freedom for the likes of Barisic and Tavernier, as they can travel further up the pitch with more confidence as they know that even if they lose the ball, their starting area/position will be covered.

Being a man down?

13 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Think he ‘trusts’ Barker more than Jones, as do I.  

Barker carries out his remit with little fuss & low risk of losing his concentration, Jones doesn’t.  

I'm not buying into this rhetoric that is gaining speed (The Athletic) that Barker plays the press any better than Hagi or Jones or Roofe & Aribo when match fit.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I'm not buying into this rhetoric that is gaining speed (The Athletic) that Barker plays the press any better than Hagi or Jones or Roofe & Aribo when match fit.

It may well be the case that Gerrard drops Barker and puts Roofe or Aribo in that role, I do believe they have the attributes to fit that role, with the benefit of greater decision-making and technical ability. However, the fact that they've both been injured for a considerable part of the season may explain Barker's continued appearance in the starting eleven.

1 minute ago, Bronzy said:

It may well be the case that Gerrard drops Barker and puts Roofe or Aribo in that role, I do believe they have the attributes to fit that role, with the benefit of greater decision-making and technical ability. However, the fact that they've both been injured for a considerable part of the season may explain Barker's continued appearance in the starting eleven.

Hopefully last Saturday was a wake up call to Hagi.

4 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

A free role is fine against lower league opposition (Dean Shiels) or if you are Paul Gascoigne (footballing genius) but not for the other 98% of games we play

That's why I think Hagi has only played in games we are expected to dominate on the ball and where the opposition are sitting very deep. While I think the perfect role for him would be a free one, that simply doesn't exist in Gerrard's tactics, so I think the manager compromises in games against the likes of Hamilton and St. Mirren by playing Hagi in a role on the right where he has a small amount of freedom to drift into the centre and play killer passes.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Barker is the most naturally gifted winger we have at the club

Players will really need to step up if they're looking to take his place in the team 

Problem is his mentally. He can't put it together on the field. 

4 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He made TWO league starts last year. :lol:

What next you and the other Barker defenders starting a campaign to get Greg Stewart back into the starting 11 on the basis of our 100% win ratio in the league when he starts? 5-0 vs Aberdeen and Hamilton and 2-1 vs Motherwell.

Aye...? 

The point of the post was more to highlight whilst you were making snide remarks about other posters saying why he plays, management clearly see him bringing value to the team — being that he’s started our biggest game of the season. Of course I am making the assumption that you’re not Jose Mourinho and your experiencing of coaching/managing at a top level are in fact, zero, zip, zilch and nada.

3 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He’s shite. 

I didn’t say I rated him. I am not a manager or a coach, so I am not going to pretend I know better. He clearly does something right to be trusted in our biggest game away from home, which we won. So there may be some substance in him creating space, or pressing etc. 

Barker isn't our most talented player, we can all agree on that, but, he played his part in the second goal, and done a job in the overall performance - he also wasn't anywhere near as bad as being made out, imo.

Not sure why some feel the need to single out players for criticism after one of the most convincing, dominant, away wins against celtic in years tbh. 

31 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Hagi should be fucking raging that Barker started ahead of him on Saturday and turned in a fucking awful performance. 

Hagi has his own skill set & uses as does Barker.  

Theres no way Hagi could have delivered  the performance Barker gave us on Saturday.  

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Aye lets just ignore he was utter shit and done next to nothing because we won. 😅

This attitude you cant criticise a player because we won is tedious.

Posts will get called out for the shit they spout, win, lose or draw. The whole argument is about Barkers pace and pressing. We backed off at the weekend and the press was hardly evident, yet people are acting like Barker was pressing, using this myth pace and causing tactical problems.

The total opposite of the weekend. 😄

Will we also just ignore his run from inside his own half that led to the corner for our second goal?

I'm not saying people "can't criticise a player because we won" my point was more, why would you want to?

Not you specifically btw, but there's been a lot of unnecessary, over the top criticism of Barker, which is weird as fuck, considering we won comfortably.

I could understand it if we had lost, or he gave away a goal, but apart from a few misplaced passes, he done nothing wrong, imo.

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The way Hagi has played at times this season he would have been capable of being invisible like Barker, lets be honest.

The difference is he provides end product.

Also a growing myth on here that Hagi is lazy and does not work hard or track back.

I know. Pure ignorance. And protects the ball very well. 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

The way Hagi has played at times this season he would have been capable of being invisible like Barker, lets be honest.

Also a growing myth on here that Hagi is lazy and does not work hard or track back.

Seriously ? 

No mention of a lazy Hagi from me tbh   

For what it’s worth I’m a Hagi fan & think we’ve got a fab prospect in him.  

But.  

We dominated & won the game.  

The team selection & game plan was spot on as was the performance of the players entrusted to carry it out.  

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Aye lets just ignore he was utter shit and done next to nothing because we won. 😅

This attitude you cant criticise a player because we won is tedious.

Posts will get called out for the shit they spout, win, lose or draw. The whole argument is about Barkers pace and pressing. We backed off at the weekend and the press was hardly evident, yet people are acting like Barker was pressing, using this myth pace and causing tactical problems.

The total opposite of the weekend. 😄

What I would say is that my post wasn't necessarily about his performance against Celtic, which I agree was poor, but rather what I think Gerrard's reasoning was for starting him.

Players on a similar level or even worse level than Barker have won league medals with us (Foster, Wylde, Steven Smith etc) and for me that's down to how the manager at the time utilised them. As I said before, Barker is a limited player, but he does as he's told and so that's why I believe Gerrard likes to use him.

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

Will we also just ignore his run from inside his own half that led to the corner for our second goal?

I'm not saying people "can't criticise a player because we won" my point was more, why would you want to?

Not you specifically btw, but there's been a lot of unnecessary, over the top criticism of Barker, which is weird as fuck, considering we won comfortably.

I could understand it if we had lost, or he gave away a goal, but apart from a few misplaced passes, he done nothing wrong, imo.

or got booked/sent off for hitting a tarrier, diving in the box, missing a sitter, injuring himself trying to tackle some cunt and so on......

8 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

The criticism posters are making of Barker is of his overall performance all season not just last Saturday.

He hasn't exactly been a stand out, has he?

18 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

While I don't think Hagi is lazy as such, I do think he has a tendency to be drawn to the middle of the pitch, as that's where he's played for most of his career.

I agree that he has more end product than Barker, Gerrard however seems to have a similar tactical approach to Liverpool, in that the midfield works very hard offensively and defensively and the shape remains constant. Barker has quite a bit more pace than Hagi, which (in Gerrard's eyes at least) lets him get back into shape quicker.

I'd prefer Aribo and Roofe in that position, but as they've been out for a while I can at least understand somewhat why Gerrard has picked Barker over Hagi. 

Archived