*****The Official Standard Liège v Rangers Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

or got booked/sent off for hitting a tarrier, diving in the box, missing a sitter, injuring himself trying to tackle some cunt and so on......

He probably was our poorest player on the day tbf, but would Jones or Hagi have done any better? 

Jones maybe, but Hagi, in that system, probably not.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I did say 'next to nothing' mate. He made 13 passes on Sunday. He was hardly involved.

Could understand your point if there was Barker threads created or bumped since Sunday but not seen any?

I only spoke about Barker in relation to the conversation on page 4 about Athletic article. Mainly regarding the go to guy in big games, which is wrong. I just dont see are correlation between whats been said in Barkers defence from the weekend. 

I praised Barker massively for his performance in Porto. I call it like I see it, whether I rate or dont rate a player. Hence slating Hagi above, why I rate him highly.

His work off the ball goes unnoticed imo, not making excuses, but the 13 passes don't tell the whole story.

No threads created i don't think, just some of the comments in various threads since on his performance have been a bit unnecessary imo.

Like i said, he probably was our poorest player on the day, but he still played his part in the win.

15 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The criticism posters are making of Barker is of his overall performance all season not just last Saturday.

He hasn't exactly been a stand out, has he?

Not sure why you're expecting a third (possibly fourth) choice forward, to be a standout tbh.

He does a job, nothing more, nothing less.

11 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Not sure why you're expecting a third (possibly fourth) choice forward, to be a standout tbh.

He does a job, nothing more, nothing less.

My point is, he didn't deserve to start on Saturday based on previous performances and after the OF game he doesn't deserve to warrant a place in the starting line-up tomorrow either. But no one will be surprised if he does.

At least when Hagi is slightly off-form, he gets dropped.

On 20/10/2020 at 14:56, British_Empire said:

Managed to get a ticket for this last night :crabflute:

Shame the whole of Belgium is on lockdown. Need to fill about ten wee vodka mini's to stoat about with in juice bottles. 

You can still buy booze from the supermarket, not the same but get cargo and find a spot and enjoy the Belgian beer. Mind a lot of there beers are rocket fuel and don't taste like petrol like the likes of tennents super do👍

5 minutes ago, badjon said:

You can still buy booze from the supermarket, not the same but get cargo and find a spot and enjoy the Belgian beer. Mind a lot of there beers are rocket fuel and don't taste like petrol like the likes of tennents super do👍

Duvel is deceptively strong.

Just now, bluenoz said:

My point is, he didn't deserve to start on Saturday based on previous performances and after the OF game he doesn't deserve to warrant a place in the starting line-up tomorrow either. But no one will be surprised if he does.

I don't think previous performances were a huge factor in him starting against celtic - probably more to do with having more time to learn his role due to not being on international duty, and his pace was an obvious asset when tracking celtics fullbacks/blocking runners - it obviously worked because celtic never had a shot on target.

Also, Barker will be lucky to make the bench when Aribo and Roofe are fully fit, but still has a role in the squad and he'll do a job when called upon.

Really not seeing the issue here at all tbh.

48 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The criticism posters are making of Barker is of his overall performance all season not just last Saturday.

He hasn't exactly been a stand out, has he?

Stood out as a guy miles out of his depth, with no confidence and that hides from the ball. 

8 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I don't think previous performances were a huge factor in him starting against celtic - probably more to do with having more time to learn his role due to not being on international duty, and his pace was an obvious asset when tracking celtics fullbacks/blocking runners - it obviously worked because celtic never had a shot on target.

Also, Barker will be lucky to make the bench when Aribo and Roofe are fully fit, but still has a role in the squad and he'll do a job when called upon.

Really not seeing the issue here at all tbh.

I agree with the last part.

The first part seems to be growing in spades and I'm not seeing it.

2 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Why? 

We weren't playing in a system that suited Hagi.

He's better in behind the striker and linking up the midfielders and forwards - he's also not anywhere near as fast as Barker, and could've been caught out against celtics fullbacks due to their pace. 

34 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I can only assume Gerrard feels bad for Barker and only plays him in the hope that he'll turn into Messi. 

There's really no logic to Barker still being at Rangers, let alone starting in a game against THEM. 

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

We weren't playing in a system that suited Hagi.

He's better in behind the striker and linking up the midfielders and forwards - he's also not anywhere near as fast as Barker, and could've been caught out against celtics fullbacks due to their pace. 

What system is this you keep talking about? Before our goal it was very open, a player like Hagi in an open game against the taigs would be like shooting fish in a barrel. 

He also played in this 'system' in his 2 games against Braga where he was excellent in both. 

I don't see any scenario in football where Barker is a better option than Hagi. 

You could argue pace but, well, why would you really? His pace was hardly noticeable last weekend. 

20 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

5 rounds from the prelim round  to the final , to win the European Cup

We owe this lot a doing 

After Prelimanary round beating Monaco home and away 

We knocked out Fc Frankfurt in first round before getting Standard in the quarter finals 

The attendance for our home tie was 76000 fans .Second highest only to real Madrid 130000

Archived