*****The Official Standard Liège v Rangers Match Thread*****

31 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Hagi should be fucking raging that Barker started ahead of him on Saturday and turned in a fucking awful performance. 

Hagi has his own skill set & uses as does Barker.  

Theres no way Hagi could have delivered  the performance Barker gave us on Saturday.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching this again and again. 

Excellent win away from home against a decent team. Wonder goal to top it off. Now hopefully they dirty child raping terrorist loving cunts get well and truly fucked tonight. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Aye lets just ignore he was utter shit and done next to nothing because we won. 😅

This attitude you cant criticise a player because we won is tedious.

Posts will get called out for the shit they spout, win, lose or draw. The whole argument is about Barkers pace and pressing. We backed off at the weekend and the press was hardly evident, yet people are acting like Barker was pressing, using this myth pace and causing tactical problems.

The total opposite of the weekend. 😄

Will we also just ignore his run from inside his own half that led to the corner for our second goal?

I'm not saying people "can't criticise a player because we won" my point was more, why would you want to?

Not you specifically btw, but there's been a lot of unnecessary, over the top criticism of Barker, which is weird as fuck, considering we won comfortably.

I could understand it if we had lost, or he gave away a goal, but apart from a few misplaced passes, he done nothing wrong, imo.

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The way Hagi has played at times this season he would have been capable of being invisible like Barker, lets be honest.

The difference is he provides end product.

Also a growing myth on here that Hagi is lazy and does not work hard or track back.

I know. Pure ignorance. And protects the ball very well. 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

The way Hagi has played at times this season he would have been capable of being invisible like Barker, lets be honest.

Also a growing myth on here that Hagi is lazy and does not work hard or track back.

Seriously ? 

No mention of a lazy Hagi from me tbh   

For what it’s worth I’m a Hagi fan & think we’ve got a fab prospect in him.  

But.  

We dominated & won the game.  

The team selection & game plan was spot on as was the performance of the players entrusted to carry it out.  

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Aye lets just ignore he was utter shit and done next to nothing because we won. 😅

This attitude you cant criticise a player because we won is tedious.

Posts will get called out for the shit they spout, win, lose or draw. The whole argument is about Barkers pace and pressing. We backed off at the weekend and the press was hardly evident, yet people are acting like Barker was pressing, using this myth pace and causing tactical problems.

The total opposite of the weekend. 😄

What I would say is that my post wasn't necessarily about his performance against Celtic, which I agree was poor, but rather what I think Gerrard's reasoning was for starting him.

Players on a similar level or even worse level than Barker have won league medals with us (Foster, Wylde, Steven Smith etc) and for me that's down to how the manager at the time utilised them. As I said before, Barker is a limited player, but he does as he's told and so that's why I believe Gerrard likes to use him.

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

Will we also just ignore his run from inside his own half that led to the corner for our second goal?

I'm not saying people "can't criticise a player because we won" my point was more, why would you want to?

Not you specifically btw, but there's been a lot of unnecessary, over the top criticism of Barker, which is weird as fuck, considering we won comfortably.

I could understand it if we had lost, or he gave away a goal, but apart from a few misplaced passes, he done nothing wrong, imo.

or got booked/sent off for hitting a tarrier, diving in the box, missing a sitter, injuring himself trying to tackle some cunt and so on......

12 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I did say 'next to nothing' mate. He made 13 passes on Sunday. He was hardly involved.

Could understand your point if there was Barker threads created or bumped since Sunday but not seen any?

I only spoke about Barker in relation to the conversation on page 4 about Athletic article. Mainly regarding the go to guy in big games, which is wrong. I just dont see are correlation between whats been said in Barkers defence from the weekend. 

I praised Barker massively for his performance in Porto. I call it like I see it, whether I rate or dont rate a player. Hence slating Hagi above, who I rate.

@Bronzy my posts have been regarding posts from page 4 in this thread.

8 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

The criticism posters are making of Barker is of his overall performance all season not just last Saturday.

He hasn't exactly been a stand out, has he?

18 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

While I don't think Hagi is lazy as such, I do think he has a tendency to be drawn to the middle of the pitch, as that's where he's played for most of his career.

I agree that he has more end product than Barker, Gerrard however seems to have a similar tactical approach to Liverpool, in that the midfield works very hard offensively and defensively and the shape remains constant. Barker has quite a bit more pace than Hagi, which (in Gerrard's eyes at least) lets him get back into shape quicker.

I'd prefer Aribo and Roofe in that position, but as they've been out for a while I can at least understand somewhat why Gerrard has picked Barker over Hagi. 

5 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

or got booked/sent off for hitting a tarrier, diving in the box, missing a sitter, injuring himself trying to tackle some cunt and so on......

He probably was our poorest player on the day tbf, but would Jones or Hagi have done any better? 

Jones maybe, but Hagi, in that system, probably not.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I did say 'next to nothing' mate. He made 13 passes on Sunday. He was hardly involved.

Could understand your point if there was Barker threads created or bumped since Sunday but not seen any?

I only spoke about Barker in relation to the conversation on page 4 about Athletic article. Mainly regarding the go to guy in big games, which is wrong. I just dont see are correlation between whats been said in Barkers defence from the weekend. 

I praised Barker massively for his performance in Porto. I call it like I see it, whether I rate or dont rate a player. Hence slating Hagi above, why I rate him highly.

His work off the ball goes unnoticed imo, not making excuses, but the 13 passes don't tell the whole story.

No threads created i don't think, just some of the comments in various threads since on his performance have been a bit unnecessary imo.

Like i said, he probably was our poorest player on the day, but he still played his part in the win.

15 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The criticism posters are making of Barker is of his overall performance all season not just last Saturday.

He hasn't exactly been a stand out, has he?

Not sure why you're expecting a third (possibly fourth) choice forward, to be a standout tbh.

He does a job, nothing more, nothing less.

born a blue nose likes this
11 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Not sure why you're expecting a third (possibly fourth) choice forward, to be a standout tbh.

He does a job, nothing more, nothing less.

My point is, he didn't deserve to start on Saturday based on previous performances and after the OF game he doesn't deserve to warrant a place in the starting line-up tomorrow either. But no one will be surprised if he does.

At least when Hagi is slightly off-form, he gets dropped.

graeme_4 likes this
On 20/10/2020 at 14:56, British_Empire said:

Managed to get a ticket for this last night :crabflute:

Shame the whole of Belgium is on lockdown. Need to fill about ten wee vodka mini's to stoat about with in juice bottles. 

You can still buy booze from the supermarket, not the same but get cargo and find a spot and enjoy the Belgian beer. Mind a lot of there beers are rocket fuel and don't taste like petrol like the likes of tennents super do👍

British_Empire likes this
5 minutes ago, badjon said:

You can still buy booze from the supermarket, not the same but get cargo and find a spot and enjoy the Belgian beer. Mind a lot of there beers are rocket fuel and don't taste like petrol like the likes of tennents super do👍

Duvel is deceptively strong.

badjon likes this
Just now, bluenoz said:

My point is, he didn't deserve to start on Saturday based on previous performances and after the OF game he doesn't deserve to warrant a place in the starting line-up tomorrow either. But no one will be surprised if he does.

At least when Hagi is slightly off-form, he gets dropped.

I don't think previous performances were a huge factor in him starting against celtic - probably more to do with having more time to learn his role due to not being on international duty, and his pace was an obvious asset when tracking celtics fullbacks/blocking runners - it obviously worked because celtic never had a shot on target.

Also, Barker will be lucky to make the bench when Aribo and Roofe are fully fit, but still has a role in the squad and he'll do a job when called upon.

Really not seeing the issue here at all tbh.