*****The Official Standard Liège v Rangers Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

11 minutes ago, King Jela said:

What system is this you keep talking about? Before our goal it was very open, a player like Hagi in an open game against the taigs would be like shooting fish in a barrel. 

He also played in this 'system' in his 2 games against Braga where he was excellent in both. 

I don't see any scenario in football where Barker is a better option than Hagi. 

You could argue pace but, well, why would you really? His pace was hardly noticeable last weekend. 

Barker was used in a more traditional 4-3-3 and Hagi worked better when we use the 4-2-3-1.

His pace isn't the only argument (not that i'm actually arguing) for his inclusion - other reasons have been given.

I'm not saying Barker should or shouldn't have started ahead of Hagi here btw, only giving my opinion on why i think he did.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Barker was used in a more traditional 4-3-3 and Hagi worked better when we use the 4-2-3-1.

His pace isn't the only argument (not that i'm actually arguing) for his inclusion - other reasons have been given.

I'm not saying Barker should or shouldn't have started ahead of Hagi here btw, only giving my opinion on why i think he did.

Hagi works better behind the striker, I don't disagree with that at all. Like I said though, 2 games against Braga he was brilliant in what was a 'traditional 4-3-3'. You put Barker in Hagi's place in those 2 games and we're out of Europe. 

Barker was played against the tims to suit the game plan we had and it worked very well. He did a good job defensively and was fairly quiet like the other forwards, who also did their job well. Why anyone would gripe about that, I really have no idea. He won't ever be first on the team sheet but has shown he can put in a decent shift when called upon against certain types of opposition.

13 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Hagi works better behind the striker, I don't disagree with that at all. Like I said though, 2 games against Braga he was brilliant in that was in a 'traditional 4-3-3'. You put Barker in Hagi's place in those 2 games and we're out of Europe. 

I don't think either of those games were a flat 4-3-3? Certainly not the away game anyway- Hagi was supporting Kamberi iirc?

Irrelevant at this point anyway tbh, and like i said, I'm not saying that Barker is a better footballer than Hagi or even a better option against celtic - all i'm saying is i can understand why he was used in that system and i also don't think he was that bad.

He's a squad player.

2 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I don't think either of those games were a flat 4-3-3? Certainly not the away game anyway- Hagi was supporting Kamberi iirc?

Irrelevant at this point anyway tbh, and like i said, I'm not saying that Barker is a better footballer than Hagi or even a better option against celtic - all i'm saying is i can understand why he was used in that system and i also don't think he was that bad.

He's a squad player.

He was not more than 4/10 against them. We have won back to back there for the first time since 1995 so he part of the team but a weak part and could have had more about him.

Barker isn’t great, absolute stinking start to his career here and it’s never recovered because our support demand the very best. 

However he’s actually starting to contribute something, no much but something which is good because we need players like that through the season. Better than sitting in the house on 10k a week

Really looking forward to this. We're much better suited to European games and hopefully SL come out and try & play. There is pressure to win obviously but not as much as domestically. A good run in Europe would be great for morale as long as it didn't interfere with the league. Obviously financially too it would be great. But the league is #1 priority this season. 

14 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Barker’s through ball to Kent should’ve resulted in a goal on Saturday, Kent’s touch was too heavy.

However, he’s still shite and I’d pick Jones and Middleton before him.  

Took it far to far with Middleton 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Really hope Rangers win by a couple of goals and get to the top of this Europa group tomorrow.  What a boost it would be to top the domestic and European competitions we’re in. 

I’d take a draw and everyone home Covid-free right now. Up to five players plus one of their coaches infected suggests really poor controls.

Sooner they get home - clean - the better.

1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

I’d take a draw and everyone home Covid-free right now. Up to five players plus one of their coaches infected suggests really poor controls.

Sooner they get home - clean - the better.

Nobody wants COVID to spread throughout the team.  It might at some point this season but we really have no control over it.

Meanwhile, we should be winning this game and I think we will.  To be top of our Europa Group after the first game would be such a confidence booster.  Our next one is at home to Poznan which is very winnable too.  I do think the Benfica double header will decide who wins the group.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I have every confidence in this team to do the business.

1 minute ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Why? Middleton is just as good as Barker. Had some fantastic performances and good goal/assist returns two seasons ago. 

He’s Brutal mate , yer talking o’halloran territory here 

Archived