Is it time up for Jones?

bunter

55 minutes ago, jintybear said:

IMO using Barker was a master stroke. We didn’t expect it and you can bet your house neither did they. They would have expected Hagi! Anyway we won so why the negativity? 

Barker was absolutely terrible, should have been hooked long before he was.

Jones might still have a lot to prove but Barker has consistently proved he’s not good enough, just because we got the win yesterday when he happened to be playing doesn’t change that.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the only reason Jones didn’t play yesterday is that Gerrard didn’t trust him not to do something silly after his last old firm appearance 

Think we’ve seen in recent weeks he definitely has a part to play. For me I wouldn’t have him or Barker near games against the scum but more than happy to see them given a chance against teams like Motherwell, Ross County etc 

1 hour ago, sassaaaa said:

Haha , it was a ridiculous decision to play Barker yesterday and everybody knows it. There was at least 3 others who should have started before him , but as we won convincingly no harms done.

It was tongue in cheek!

1 hour ago, Bristol loyal said:

Barker was absolutely terrible, should have been hooked long before he was.

Jones might still have a lot to prove but Barker has consistently proved he’s not good enough, just because we got the win yesterday when he happened to be playing doesn’t change that.

I was actually kidding but I wouldn’t have been so flippant if we had lost. I was raging when I saw Barker was playing.

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Middleton and Stewart also please.

Aye, if we can shift they 4 then pretty much everyone else in the squad can contribute and we’ve finally got rid of the dross, worried we’ll keep Stewart for homegrown quota though, you’d have thought keeping McCrorie or Docherty would’ve been better for that rather than Stewart who contributes absolutely fuck all. 

I think Jones has a better end product than Barker. He's capable of playing an intelligent final ball or cross. 

He's a good squad player to have and can come in for specific games or come on as a sub.

This could be another season of 60+ games, we're going to need everyone we've got.

4 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Aye, if we can shift they 4 then pretty much everyone else in the squad can contribute and we’ve finally got rid of the dross, worried we’ll keep Stewart for homegrown quota though, you’d have thought keeping McCrorie or Docherty would’ve been better for that rather than Stewart who contributes absolutely fuck all. 

Watched Ross a couple of times for the sheep and hes fuckin brutal , no positional sense at all and can now see why hes out on loan , and I used to think he could be a player...

4 hours ago, the goal machine said:

One goal against Motherwell and cunts seem to be confusing him with Messi. He's an ok squad player and will get minutes over the course of a season. Not every player can be or should be first team regulars.

No they don't 

Barker was a strange one to start with yesterday in my opinion.

I do get the big park, width, an out ball with pace, up against a back 3 to potentially stretch etc but just because his style of play makes sense for all that, it doesn't mean he's a good player either. 

Feel a bit shite saying that because no-one really had a bad game yesterday and everyone done their job to varying degree's so I'd feel uncomfortable sitting here slaughtering Baker, who didn't do too much wrong, after a fantastic victory. 

Jones is a good squad player as far as I'm concerned and should be getting used more. But that's a minor point in grand scheme of things as things are going well so who I am to insist on things being changed.

15 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Barker was a strange one to start with yesterday in my opinion.

I do get the big park, width, an out ball with pace, up against a back 3 to potentially stretch etc but just because his style of play makes sense for all that, it doesn't mean he's a good player either. 

Feel a bit shite saying that because no-one really had a bad game yesterday and everyone done their job to varying degree's so I'd feel uncomfortable sitting here slaughtering Baker, who didn't do too much wrong, after a fantastic victory. 

Jones is a good squad player as far as I'm concerned and should be getting used more. But that's a minor point in grand scheme of things as things are going well so who I am to insist on things being changed.

He was used for his defensive play. 

The one thing he did well yesterday was close down their CB's and win the ball back. You could tell that was the plan as when they had the ball he went into the number 9 position. 

Apart from one ball carry he was very poor in the attacking sense, but it's clear Gerrard doesn't trust Jones in that type of game. 

15 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

He was used for his defensive play. 

The one thing he did well yesterday was close down their CB's and win the ball back. You could tell that was the plan as when they had the ball he went into the number 9 position. 

Apart from one ball carry he was very poor in the attacking sense, but it's clear Gerrard doesn't trust Jones in that type of game. 

Barker is lucky that generally your team can afford for a player like him, in his position, to not be great/a bit of a luxury - it sometimes doesn't effect the result at all. 

What I'm getting at is he's a limited player (being kind) - so provided he tries, doesn't miss sitters or cause errors for goals, is that a good game for him baring in mind his limits? 

I'd be happy never to see him in a Rangers shirt again, but I don't feel like I can keep rounding on him because we can all see it yet Gerrard continues to pick him just because of his pace and it means he can deploy tactics around that, which then begs the question, if you take all that into account and we've won 2-0 at away to Celtic with him deployed in that system, can you really be overly critical?

Archived