Have we ever been better coached?

AlCapone

The most striking thing is how many individual players have improved after a season or so under the current  management team.

tav, Goldson, Borna, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, arfield, Alfredo, Kent etc. All have became far better  players than they were before.

even under Smith I don’t remember seeing such an improvement in players. 🇬🇧

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Let’s just enjoy the win and not get sucked into the hyperbole, this place swings like a fucking pendulum. Next time we don’t pick up 3 points, it’ll be  “Gerrard can GTF and take that fat useless cunt Beale with him as well”. 

Ironic post that 

My son who is a football  coach bought three coaching manuals by Michael Beale  about 8 years ago,he rated him very highly as a coach and was delighted that MB was joing SG as part of his team.We have a very  fine coaching team .All the lads that came up with Steven are doing a great support job.

5 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Let’s just enjoy the win and not get sucked into the hyperbole, this place swings like a fucking pendulum. Next time we don’t pick up 3 points, it’ll be  “Gerrard can GTF and take that fat useless cunt Beale with him as well”. 

The place swings like a pendulum because there’s thousands of opinions, what do you expect? 

It’s not whether we pick up points or not, the point is we are seeing so many players game improving and in the medium to long term that is so important 

It is interesting how our coaching is being brought up by people around football. Beale is really highly respected and it is a coup he is here. With Mo Ross winding up Lennon, it is clear that our coaching is being noticed and getting to people which is good. They were even talking about it on Si Ferry the other day how disciplined we play. Even McNamara was giving it "we're pish but are amazingly coached!". I think our backroom team is strong but also part of our success so far this year is that we have drastically improved our squad and seem to be developing a real team spirit - a long way to go but the signs are good. 

1 minute ago, AlCapone said:

The place swings like a pendulum because there’s thousands of opinions, what do you expect? 

It’s not whether we pick up points or not, the point is we are seeing so many players game improving and in the medium to long term that is so important 

Aye but best we’ve ever been coached. Frankly, no. We’ve won fuck all for a very long time. 

Under Walter Smith we got great results but it was brutal to watch us camped in our own half booting the ball up the pitch to an isolated striker all the time.  What we're doing now is more like it.  I love the brand of football we play.  We're a very positive team comfortable in possession, we press high up the pitch, we can counter attack, solid in defense, etc.  I have every confidence in our teams ability to reach the knockout stages again.  Rangers will have earned several hundred thousand from that win tonight the money this brings us is vital.

2 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Aye but best we’ve ever been coached. Frankly, no. We’ve won fuck all for a very long time. 

Well when were we better coached then?

the point is for example under smith the first time we were signing players who already were mostly at their prime, quality players who  you expected to be part of league winning teams and they were. Whilst It was successful there is an argument that we signed many players who never reached their potential, many were good players but did they actually become better players?

the point is not about winning or not, it’s about have we seen so many player signed as potential and actually fulfilling that potential and becoming better players. 

1 minute ago, AlCapone said:

the point is for example under smith the first time we were signing players who already were mostly at their prime, quality players who  you expected to be part of league winning teams and they were. Whilst It was successful there is an argument that we signed many players who never reached their potential, many were good players but did they actually become better players?

the point is not about winning or not, it’s about have we seen so many player signed as potential and actually fulfilling that potential and becoming better players. 

My argument would be good coaching leads to winning trophies. Hopefully that will be the case soon but we’ve got too many legends that have been at the helm for the current staff to even come close. 

We’ll agree to disagree mate not going to argue with a good bear after another night like that. 

Some of the stuff we played under Advocaat was amazing to watch. I know we had a far bigger budget, however it wasn't unrealistic that pre-match predictions during that time would be 6 or 7 nil on a weekly basis, regardless of the opposition. 

1 minute ago, don logan said:

Goldsons comments about honing our system over two years was very telling about the long term planning implemented by Gerrard and his team. Like tonight, players come in and they system continues to flow. Loving it.

I loved hearing that comment; testing it out against big teams in Europe over two years.

Fantastic.

We used to just throw money at the team, we could buy the best players and just let them do their thing.

This season we’re doing well not because we’re spending more money than everyone else to get better players, we’re spending enough to get good players and then making them better.

10 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

the point is for example under smith the first time we were signing players who already were mostly at their prime

Walter and Souness made this point when all three were together during a live interview.  Football has changed since the days of Walter and Souness.  Scottish football no longer can pull top names (like a De Boer) and the finances aren't there.  Gerrard has been backed but Celtic have spent at least twice as much and what a head start they had over us prior to Gerrard coming in.  What Gerrard has done for us in just over 2 years has been nothing short of incredible.  The directors rolled the dice with Gerrard but by fuck has it paid off.

2 hours ago, harlands plater said:

We used to just throw money at the team, we could buy the best players and just let them do their thing.

Many teams still operate like that.  Celtic are operating like that right now - ‘Buy the best individuals possible, put them out on the park together, the results will take care of themselves’.

In order to be a really great side a team must be greater than the sum of its parts.  Right now we are that team.  It's not about individuals anymore.  

2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

That will be judged at the end of the season 

IF we win the league this season then Gerrard will be the greatest manager we've ever had IMO.  To come in and turn it around is nothing short of a miracle.  We were a circus act, they were dominant under Rodgers.  I lived to see us winning 9IAR but lifting 55 will be a bigger achievement for me after the last 9 years of punishment.  I use to take this team winning trophies for grated, never again.

Archived