Have we ever been better coached?

AlCapone

12 minutes ago, TMB said:

IF we win the league this season then Gerrard will be the greatest manager we've ever had IMO.  To come in and turn it around is nothing short of a miracle.  We were a circus act, they were dominant under Rodgers.  I lived to see us winning 9IAR but lifting 55 will be a bigger achievement for me after the last 9 years of punishment.  I use to take this team winning trophies for grated, never again.

I hear what you’re saying 100% but he’s been given quite a bit of time and backing, this third season we really need to win the league 

I’ll be the first to call for Gerrard’s knighthood if we do win it but it’s a fine line between success and failure as has always been the case at Rangers 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

The place swings like a pendulum because there’s thousands of opinions, what do you expect? 

It’s not whether we pick up points or not, the point is we are seeing so many players game improving and in the medium to long term that is so important 

Your absolutely correct .

There are a group of posters who are very very vocal on positive things ,who tend to shy away when it’s not going well 

AND 

There are another group of posters who are very vocal when things ain’t going well and are quiet when things are going well like tonight .

Some of the second group are most likely timposters 

15 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The coaching has always been good. I think what we’re seeing is a total change in attitude, passion and aggression from the management and players. I’ve never seen them as focused in Gerrard’s whole time here

Definitely been a change in the attitude. You can see it when gerrard speaks. After galatasaray he spoke about wanting to be celebrating in May. After the weekend it was nothing over the top, just 3 points won and onto the next game.  

1 hour ago, don logan said:

Goldsons comments about honing our system over two years was very telling about the long term planning implemented by Gerrard and his team. Like tonight, players come in and the system continues to flow. Loving it.

Yup good comment. I's not about who was ever the best coach. Most of our managers won honours playing the style of the day. I'm not sure any of them could compete with the product SG and his team are consistently showing today. We are more tactically astute under SG as a unit I believe.

I'd hate to start a thread like this tbh

In my time we have without doubt had some top drawer players playing for us ,Butcher ,Laudrup and Gazza who were genuine World class players ,When these guys played there were guys playing alongside them who were of a level we could only dream of these days.

But this side has something those sides never had ,a level of organisation both in defence and attack that only Advocaat in his first 2 seasons came close to .

This side has had some bad results but has never been outclassed the way our top sides of the past could sometimes be,I remember the Laudrup and Gazza team get pumped out the qualifiers from Famagusta .I don’t think this side would find such a tie as much of a problem .

Really hope we get this league win this season,A league win gives a crack at the champions league qualifiers ,If we get draws at the same level that the taigs have been getting for years,then we are strong favourites to qualify and can really takes this club to the level .

19 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Walter took us to a uefa final based on his tactical nous - it wasn’t pretty but it was effective and he was a winner so many tines - so no Stevie not there. Yet! 

For me there are 2 huge differences between those sides ,This side is as tight defensively but has far better organised attack ,Also this side has consistently performed for over 2 years ,Any of the sides in recent times (post Souness revolution)has been anywhere near as consistent as this group ,One offs every few years was the norm for years .

Remember man-marking, zonal, chasing blindly after someone when you lost the ball? I think we have football intelligence now. The wee telematry pads all players carry under their shirts are now providing so much data that the science is altering how we approach styles. Barker as an example gets dogs on here but his data is possibly telling SG that he is the man for such and such a game.

At least I hope that's why he gets a shirt.

Garlic bread, it's the future

53 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Walter took us to a uefa final based on his tactical nous - it wasn’t pretty but it was effective and he was a winner so many tines - so no Stevie not there. Yet! 

Would you take the Europa league over the title this season ?

23 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

It's a bit strange a peado constantly posting on here. 

Hopefully you are watched carefully. 

Think that calling long serving posters like@SeparateEntityMyArse 'worth watching' and me, who's a long standing member of the Erskine Fund, a 'peado' is pretty poor.

If you don't like people questioning your opinion on Gerrard calling fellow Gers fans peados or such like is quite disgusting imo.

Possibly not. I can’t remember ever watching a Rangers team with as much confidence in the system, although we’ve obviously seen teams with better players. 

I’ve seen this movie before in the last two years though, albeit it does feel slightly different. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Typical RM. 

Once we’ve won the league come back to me. Cant say anything is the best when we’re still trophy-less.

You definitely can.

You can be well coached but still not win everything, success is down to more than just coaching. 

Nobody’s jumping around saying we’re winning the league or the Europa, but is there a better coached team in Scotland than Rangers? I’d say it’s a quite clear no, but it doesn’t cover mentality and strength in depth which is where Celtic may be slightly ahead. 

Of course, Gerrard can only be assessed on trophies, but to me he is a marketing magnet to Rangers and I think that should never be overlooked.

I believe we have attracted a bigger global market because of him and certain players have also come here because of him, in specifically Kent & Hagi.

I also believe Steve Gerrard is turning into beginning a brilliant manager.

We were only better coached under Adovocat but he also had funds

4 hours ago, simplythebest said:

I hear what you’re saying 100% but he’s been given quite a bit of time and backing, this third season we really need to win the league 

I’ll be the first to call for Gerrard’s knighthood if we do win it but it’s a fine line between success and failure as has always been the case at Rangers 

You can't turn a team of losers in to winners overnight especially against an established team. Look how much money Man Utd throw about, it takes an incredible amount of change to get to hopefully what we are building to this season.

Archived