Morelos

Swagger

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Smile said:

They cannot seem to judge his performance's at all game by game.

If Rangers signed Morelos for £1m during the summer and we were getting this return of goals, assists, and overall play from him we would be more than satisfied.  Especially when you consider how much celtic spent on donkeys like Ajeti and Klimala.  

The problem is, Morelos has set such high standards in the past that people want to see 28 goals before Christmas again.  They want to see him break more European records.  They want to see a 20m Columbian internationalist blowing teams away.

The fans need to accept that his role in the team has changed.  He may not be scoring as many as in 2019 but he’s playing a vital role in a Rangers team that tops their domestic and European leagues.  This Rangers team is flying right now.  If it’s not broken, it doesn’t need fixed.  

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He did say 'at times' which is factually correct. There was 5 slack passes today from him.

Every footballer makes a slack pass “at times”.  Does Morelos do it often enough as to deserve criticism?  No.  

Just now, TMB said:

Every footballer makes a slack pass “at times”.  Does Morelos do it often enough as to deserve criticism?  No.  

He's done so most of this season to be fair.

I can remember posting same months ago, his first touch was atrocious at times, I put it down to him being generally disinterested at that time. 

That said, he had a great game against Benfica, and i fully expect him to do so again on Thursday. Think he knows he's in the shop window in them games, Benfica pay out big money for players, and other teams watching and taking notice as well. 

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

So he does it, but just not enough to breach your personal threshold level for it being important to you. Got you 👍

14 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

He's done so most of this season to be fair.

I can remember posting same months ago, his first touch was atrocious at times, I put it down to him being generally disinterested at that time. 

That said, he had a great game against Benfica, and i fully expect him to do so again on Thursday. Think he knows he's in the shop window in them games, Benfica pay out big money for players, and other teams watching and taking notice as well. 

At last some common sense.

7 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

12 goals in 2 games, none from Morelos or Defoe. A million miles from last season when the two of them were our only real source of goals.

That's the nail on the head bud.....I predicted before a ball was kicked that we would have a mixture of 50 goals and assists from Hagi & kent alone.....so far they will be close to half way there already.....add in Arfield, Aribo & Tavernier and it's all starting to click 

The pass completion stat is one of the worst used stats on here. 

He can pass 9/10 for all I care but the problem is the one or two that go stray are causing us real problems at the back. He done it a lot against Poznan and someone else it isn’t good enough. 

We no longer rely on him but he still contributes something

He's definitely one of the players that's struggling more so in empty stadiums. Obviously thrives under the atmosphere/pressure.

He's doing what's asked of him and it's working well for the team. Last couple of season the same issues arose when Alfies wasn't finding the net. We struggled. 

As mentioned above, 12 goals in two games yet Defoe and Morelos haven't bagged shows you the variety we have in our play.

32 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The pass completion stat is one of the worst used stats on here. 

He can pass 9/10 for all I care but the problem is the one or two that go stray are causing us real problems at the back. He done it a lot against Poznan and someone else it isn’t good enough. 

We no longer rely on him but he still contributes something

There was one against that lot just before half time at 1-0. He got the ball in a massive amount of space and played a hospital ball across the middle of the park and Mcgregor swept up and they broke off on an attack. I remember just watching it thinking what an earth is he thinking. 

2 minutes ago, KyleBJK said:

There was one against that lot just before half time at 1-0. He got the ball in a massive amount of space and played a hospital ball across the middle of the park and Mcgregor swept up and they broke off on an attack. I remember just watching it thinking what an earth is he thinking. 

Seen Jack, Davis, Kamara and so on do the same but don't seem to attract the level of criticism Morelos does.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Seen Jack, Davis, Kamara and so on do the same but don't seem to attract the level of criticism Morelos does.

Mate they all do. No footballer at any level is going to play perfect pass after pass every single but. I’m merely highlighting one that sticks out that might be the one he was thinking off. On the thread about Morelos, so that’s why he’s getting spoken about. 

I have been a big critic of him in the past. Certainly not someone that can overlook his shortcomings easily. But he is clearly being asked to change his game and he is clearly doing what has been asked of him and, despite the lack of goals, it’s is clearly working. 

if he wasn’t doing what he was asked he would be dropped and if it wasn’t working we wouldn’t be scoring so freely. 

he is going to make mistakes because he is learning a whole new way of playing but the fact he is able to adapt will stand him in good stead. 

if he doesn’t score again for the rest of the season while we bang in 4 goals every game I willl be delighted 

9 minutes ago, KyleBJK said:

Mate they all do. No footballer at any level is going to play perfect pass after pass every single but. I’m merely highlighting one that sticks out that might be the one he was thinking off. On the thread about Morelos, so that’s why he’s getting spoken about. 

Yeah I get that mate, it is the Morelos thread so expect it to be in here.

I think the thing with Morelos giving the ball away and playing us into danger is that usually if he receives the ball we are in an advanced position of the pitch with players pushed up, he loses it then teams can counter and catch us out. That's the risk Gerrard is prepared to take when setting out his tactics. 

Alfie does need to get the heed down and concentrate on his game and it will fall into place for him,he has the ability and we have all seen it before.

Didnt think Buff was at his best today.

Did wonder when the third goal went in if we might have subbed the wee man and brought Itten on coz we need him firing in case Buff leaves in January given that Roofe is prone to the odd injury as well.

Would have saved Buff for Benfica game on Thursday too.

He's not been as clinical but think people are looking for a reason to moan after a brilliant win. His movement helped cause real problems for Aberdeen's defence and allowed others to get in behind them. It seems that, tactically, that's very much the role that Gerrard wants him to play and, while he's not gettting as mant goals (or chances for himself) he's playing a big part in goals being spread around the team a bit more.

He's also been much more unselfish this season. The one Arfield when he played it across goal would absolutely have seen Morelos shoot 12 months ago.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

He's not been as clinical but think people are looking for a reason to moan after a brilliant win. His movement helped cause real problems for Aberdeen's defence and allowed others to get in behind them. It seems that, tactically, that's very much the role that Gerrard wants him to play and, while he's not gettting as mant goals (or chances for himself) he's playing a big part in goals being spread around the team a bit more.

He's also been much more unselfish this season. The one Arfield when he played it across goal would absolutely have seen Morelos shoot 12 months ago.

Totally agree.

Morelos doesn't have to score to be an asset to us. His link-up play is superb.

It really is.

Our shape centers around him. 

People under-estimate the vision he has. When he takes a ball attacking, he literally has eyes in the back/sides of his head. He's huffy, but intelligent. 

The goals he does score are big goals due to his intelligence. 

Was disappointed in his reaction today though tbh. There was no need. Hopefully it's just a wee dummy spit and he's ready again for Thursday. Arm round him and pep talk he should be fine.

Archived