Morelos

Swagger

Sometimes I struggle to understand what people watch when they watch us, Yes we would all love our centre forward to be a focal point of the attack and be in the box, but ultimately that system failed us after Xmas the last two seasons, as such Gerrard has clearly changed it, resulting in far more defensive stability and playing with a type of false 9.

Morelos will score goals in this system, he just won't score all of them.

To suggest he hasn't done anything the last two games is simply untrue, against the tims, he literally picked up the ball and passed it into Kent, he then unselfishly makes a forward run which leads to Kent being fouled. Morelos of old probably plays with his head down and runs straight into their backline there.

Second goal he plays the one-two with Arfield.

He was an absolute handful for Liege all night and his link up play was fantastic for the 70 odd minutes he was on the park, he made some poor decisions granted but he was a thorn in their side and was unlucky not to grab a goal.

We always seem to need a scapegoat even when things are going as well as they have been, I just don't understand it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Swally said:

Who is doing that?

Have a look at various threads in recent weeks and you'll find plenty of comments from posters who're saying he's only scored x amount of goals since whenever and he needs dropped because of this.

Start in the match threads.

30 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He's been having an impact all season, you've compared him to Barker which is ridiculous. 

He's had 1 assist in his last 4 games, including ragdolling the Galatasaray defence all over the shop. 

I've repeatedly talked about current form. Given the lengthy international break, imo current form is the last 2 Rangers games, not including one from 3.5 weeks ago.

I've compared his contribution to Barker, who is pretty shite and has offered little than running and keeping team shape. The fact you won't offer what more Morelos has done in the last 2 games isn't surprising, but very telling.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I've compared his contribution to Barker, who is pretty shite and has offered little than running and keeping team shape. The fact you won't offer what more Morelos has done in the last 2 games isn't surprising, but very telling.

What has Kent, Arfield and Barisic done in the last two games? 

14 minutes ago, dazzareyes said:

Sometimes I struggle to understand what people watch when they watch us, Yes we would all love our centre forward to be a focal point of the attack and be in the box, but ultimately that system failed us after Xmas the last two seasons, as such Gerrard has clearly changed it, resulting in far more defensive stability and playing with a type of false 9.

Morelos will score goals in this system, he just won't score all of them.

To suggest he hasn't done anything the last two games is simply untrue, against the tims, he literally picked up the ball and passed it into Kent, he then unselfishly makes a forward run which leads to Kent being fouled. Morelos of old probably plays with his head down and runs straight into their backline there.

Second goal he plays the one-two with Arfield.

He was an absolute handful for Liege all night and his link up play was fantastic for the 70 odd minutes he was on the park, he made some poor decisions granted but he was a thorn in their side and was unlucky not to grab a goal.

We always seem to need a scapegoat even when things are going as well as they have been, I just don't understand it.

So a run off the ball and a pass to the guy that assists. Stunning argument.

The way I see this is it comes down to whether or not you think Morelos is contributing enough to keep another player out. Simple as that.

Anything beyond that is just noise.

The concept of dropping a player for him to come back stronger cannot be argued against, this has be done ad nauseum and has seen a lot of success. Anyone arguing against this is being disingenuous.  See, nae sleep, but still big words.

It's clear that in some cases waiting for a player to come good, can work, but how many matches has Morelos been played in and not looked anywhere near the standard he was? How many more matches does he play in for the hope he'll hit consistent form? How many more taig matches does he start in the hope he'll score? Is that 13 games without one goal now? It's certainly not the whole argument but it's part of it.

The argument of the system contributing to Morelos not performing is ridiculous, he's still playing up front and is the point of our attack. Dropping deeper and bringing the team into play was something he did before however he burst a gut to get back into the box and get into scoring positions more in the past, I'm not seeing that as much now.

I think Morelos should be dropped for the good of Morelos, he needs to get his head straight and in my opinion - looking at his play - he is not contributing anywhere near what he's capable of.

I think Itten deserves a chance, a young hungry guy who's just scored a brace against motherwell a few weeks back could be someone that's just hitting form and someone who could drive Morelos to a higher standard. This only works if Morelos is dropped for Itten.

However, like I've stated again and again. We do not see what the players are like in training. If morelos is bursting a gut in training and looking good then he deserves to start no  matter what we think. If Itten looks shite in training he doesn't deserve to start.

It comes down to Gerrad and his team at the end of the day, and frankly they know Morelos better than anyone in here so we'll just have to trust them.

All we can do is guess and have an opinion on his performances. If Morelos starts today and scores well done for those who guessed right, but I still question if it's the best long term solution for a man who in my opinion doesn't have his head straight.

I'd rather have Morelos dropped, coming back, and firing on all cylinders with clubs sniffing around him again because of his rep being sky high again, than a player who's barely doing enough to stay in the side, not looking like himself, and who in the end leaves us for a fraction of his worth.

No matter what anyone says that is a real possibility. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

What has Kent, Arfield and Barisic done in the last two games? 

Barisic got injured, Arfield put more of a midfield shift in and Kent done as much as Morelos as equally could have no argument if rested.

Having a nip at me bringing in the contributuon of one of our front 3 in Barker, but yourself bringing Arfield and Borna in to compare their contributions 😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Have a look at various threads in recent weeks and you'll find plenty of comments from posters who're saying he's only scored x amount of goals since whenever and he needs dropped because of this.

Start in the match threads.

oh ffs, you can't take the match threads seriously mate :lol:

emotions running high etc

i've seen some ridiculous things posted in there from normally quite stable posters

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I've repeatedly talked about current form. Given the lengthy international break, imo current form is the last 2 Rangers games, not including one from 3.5 weeks ago.

He played his part in the second goal at the piggery and he was also involved in the chance that would had it been converted by Tav been one of the best goals I'd have ever have seen from us.

He has looked slightly off the boil but he really has changed his game up and is trying to be more of a team player.

He tried to set arfield up the other day instead of shooting, had it been last year hed have leathered it without hesitation.

He now seems to be trying to bring teammates into the game rather than just going for goal all the time.

I'd like to see him up with roofe just off him. They'd had a decent wee understanding on the go.prior to.roofe getting injured 

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Barisic got injured, Arfield put more of a midfield shift in and Kent done as much as Morelos as equally could have no argument if rested.

Having a nip at me bringing in the contributuon of one of our front 3 in Barker, but yourself bringing Arfield and Borna in to compare their contributions 😂😂😂

So Arfield "put a shift in" but Morelos does that and it's still not good enough... 

Think we're slowly getting to the problem here. 

3 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

He played his part in the second goal at the piggery and he was also involved in the chance that would had it been converted by Tav been one of the best goals I'd have ever have seen from us.

He has looked slightly off the boil but he really has changed his game up and is trying to be more of a team player.

He tried to set arfield up the other day instead of shooting, had it been last year hed have leathered it without hesitation.

He now seems to be trying to bring teammates into the game rather than just going for goal all the time.

I'd like to see him up with roofe just off him. They'd had a decent wee understanding on the go.prior to.roofe getting injured 

On fire Morelos and Roofe together :crywank:

Just now, Rfc52 said:

The forwards jobs are to have an impact on us scoring. I agree its not just stats.

Anyone suggesting he or any of the other forward players bar Roofe have justified retaining their jerseys are in denial or too stubborn to accept the contribution is insufficient.

I'm not comparing to last season's returns foe Morelos as I accept he's playing a far different role which is crucial for the bigger picture.. He's just not doing it well enough. If he plays today, and probably will, hope he scores. He needs it.

5 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

So Arfield "put a shift in" but Morelos does that and it's still not good enough... 

Think we're slowly getting to the problem here. 

There's no problem if you understand they have different roles to play.

Which you appear not to.

8 minutes ago, Swally said:

The argument of the system contributing to Morelos not performing is ridiculous, he's still playing up front and is the point of our attack. Dropping deeper and bringing the team into play was something he did before however he burst a gut to get back into the box and get into scoring positions more in the past, I'm not seeing that as much now.

Not ridiculous at all tbh.

He's no more the "point of our attack" than Kent/Barker/Aribo/Hagi etc when playing in this system.

6 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There's no problem if you understand they have different roles to play.

Which you appear not to.

Irony. 

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I.

AM.

NOT.

ARGUING.

ON.

BEHALF.

OF.

BARKER.

😂😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Barker contributed in the scum win. Should he continue in every game until we drop points?

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Your point?

If Morelos deserves to keep his place for pretty much the same then why not Barker?

Just now, BlueMe said:

Not ridiculous at all tbh.

He's no more the "point of our attack" than Kent/Barker/Aribo/Hagi etc when playing in this system.

See I disagree completely with that, I simply see Morelos making far more poor decisions now when he's in a goal scoring position. Looks to be a player out of confidence more than a result of a system.

How many times in the past were we talking about Morelos bullying defenders, holding the ball up for the team, starting the attack and then finishing it? I don't see him doing either as much as he did.

The other 2 of the front three should be contributing by scoring goals, but they're not strikers they're supporting forwards. But they can be called what you want, inverted wingers etc. Morelos is the only recognised striker in the team. 

39 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

If we're playing the 4-3-3, Morelos is playing in the same position as Kent and Barker as part of an interchangeable front 3.

Even in the 4-3-2-1, I've seen Kent go into the "one" and Morelos dropping back.

Having a fluid front 3 makes it hard for defenders to "mark" a player or double up on them, and dragging defenders out of position is one of Morelos' biggest strengths, imo.

And he's doing that pulling around well. He's puting a shift in. But let's not kid in that the forward 3 don't have a remit to create and score, they do. In that sense they're all underperforming and could have no argument if 'rested'. 

Archived