Morelos

Swagger

8 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

One of the posters on here, who actually knows loads about football, explained to me that it was a new super tactic where Morelos was being played in the role of useless passenger!!

Think its like Muhammed Ali doing the rope a dope tactic; Morelos is pretending to be useless and then will finish off our opponents, when the right time comes!! 

A "useless passenger" would be llike having someone like Kris Boyd up top.  Celtic actually had this problem with Ajeti midweek who refused to drop deep against AC Milan.  Strikers like these just stand on the last man and expect the rest of the team to do everything else.  Some people on here would be happy for Morelos to play like this too by the sounds of it.

Morelos is anything but "useless" or a "passenger" in our games.  He's key to the way we play and a big part of our success this season.  It's a shame many can't see that but Gerrard can.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him, he might not be scoring but he puts in a shift dragging defenders (3 scum players at once) out of position to allow people in behind. I reckon he’s been asked to play a different role, as every defender in the country will be after him and follow him wherever he goes

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

A "useless passenger" would having someone like Kris Boyd up top.  celtic actually had this problem with Ajeti midweek who refused to drop deep.  Strikers like these just stand on the last man and expect the rest of the team to do everything else.  Some people on here would be happy for Morelos to play like this too by the sounds of it.

Morelos is anything but "useless" or a "passenger" in our games.  He's key to the way we play and a big part of our success this season.  It's a shame many can't see that but Gerrard can thankfully and we're in good hands.

Well said mate, I tried and couldn’t put it better myself

21 minutes ago, TMB said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

Everything I said about Morelos is factually accurate.  80% pass completion rate which is where it was at against Porto away last season.  He's drawing defenders out, holding up play, movement and pressing is still spot on.  It's just the goals he's lacking but I'm still certain he'll finish the season with about 25.

He better get going then. I do hope you're right btw

35 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

One of the posters on here, who actually knows loads about football, explained to me that it was a new super duper tactic where Morelos was being played in the role of useless passenger!!

Think its like Muhammed Ali doing the rope a dope tactic; Morelos is pretending to be useless and then will finish off our opponents, when the right time comes!! 

Someone should tell him the time to stop pretending was a good long time ago :lol:

Seriously though, I wouldn't say he's been useless, I'd say mediocre and certainly not to the abilities he's shown he has. Certainly not useless.

Ultimate fence sitting mode....

I can see the arguments on both sides here.  He has definitely started playing deeper, working more for the team and playing a bit of a different role to last season.  He is reasonably effective at it for the most part.

That being said, his form has dipped, he isn't scoring goals, the rest of the team have proven they can play well and score without him.  I think it's time for him to spend a week or two on the bench.  He, like any other player who dips in form can be replaced with another player, and should have to earn his way back in.

Apart from maybe Tav, no player in the team right now can afford to get complacent. there are a bunch of hungry players waiting to grab their chance as Bassey is proving.

If he cant work his way back into the team then that is a good thing as it means our other strikers are performing too well to be dropped.

8 hours ago, pollok-bear said:

Once the wee man bangs one goal in again he will be on fire. All strikers go through periods that they don't score.

I.m hoping he will come good again and rise to the challenge of increased competition for a starting slot,  he certainly splits opinion on here, and while I think he is far from useless, he is clearly capable of improving his current form. 

Our overall form has prevented Morelos from more criticism. Criticism that wouldn't really be underserved imo.

I can't fault his work rate but for just about every other part of his game, it seems to have declined.

What worries me most is the sheer length of time he's been off the boil. I'm honestly starting to wonder if we will ever see him in the kind of form he showed last year again. 

He was the first name on the team sheet for so long but in current form he doesn't deserve a starting spot.

4 hours ago, gogzy said:

I can see the arguments on both sides here.  He has definitely started playing deeper, working more for the team and playing a bit of a different role to last season.  He is reasonably effective at it for the most part.

That being said, his form has dipped, he isn't scoring goals, the rest of the team have proven they can play well and score without him.  I think it's time for him to spend a week or two on the bench.  He, like any other player who dips in form can be replaced with another player, and should have to earn his way back in.

Apart from maybe Tav, no player in the team right now can afford to get complacent. there are a bunch of hungry players waiting to grab their chance as Bassey is proving.

If he cant work his way back into the team then that is a good thing as it means our other strikers are performing too well to be dropped.

This is it in a nutshell.

I love the wee man and he’s still got a real important role to play over the season but can’t deny his form has dipped, even his touch etc.

Precious seasons we’ve had to continue to play him when he’s off the boil and just hope he comes through it. Now we have serious options and can afford to sit him out. 

4 hours ago, gogzy said:

I dont think it really is fence sitting tbh , the middle ground is probably about right , some of the criticism is over the top and a bit daft , similar to some of the defence of him is , 

He is nowhere near his best form , that doesn't mean he is shite or people hate him , I know for me its mainly frustration because if we can get him into top form we go from a good chance of the league to a great chance 

46 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

He’ll be playing on Thursday and Sunday.

Roofe looked rusty yesterday and Otten and Defoe shouldn’t be options for these two games.

Why should itten not be an option? We paid nearly 3m for him & Morelos hasn’t scored in weeks.

1 minute ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Why should itten not be an option? We paid nearly 3m for him & Morelos hasn’t scored in weeks.

Itten couldn't even get a game against Livingston at Ibrox yesterday.  Yet he's to turn out for us in Europe when he's had very limited game time this season?  Doesn't make much sense.

11 minutes ago, TMB said:

Itten couldn't even get a game against Livingston at Ibrox yesterday.  Yet he's to turn out for us in Europe when he's had very limited game time this season?  Doesn't make much sense.

Aye, I'd start giving him more time when the match is already won. I think he should have been on earlier against livingston, but looking at it Defoe was clearly the right option to start. 

Just pisses me off the length of time Gerrard takes to substitute at times.

51 minutes ago, TMB said:

Maybe not in Europe but he should definitely be an option on Sunday.

57 minutes ago, TMB said:

He did get a game yesterday, did you even watch the game?

41 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

It's reported we did. Do you have anything to suggest we didn't?

Did you not say similar about how much Defoe's wages would be and were told you're wrong by @eskbankloyal? :lol:

Gerrard came out after the signings of Roofe and Itten saying that they were no where near as high as reported in the press, if i remember correctly.

"The numbers for Kemar and Cedric that have been suggested in the media aren't right. The figures suggested are inflated," said Gerrard.

I think Esk said he did not know what Defoe was on, but he thought he would have been one of the highest earners. I disagree. Without knowing the actual figures, it is all a guessing game.

1 hour ago, Smile said:

He did get a game yesterday, did you even watch the game?

Yeah, I watched it.  Coming on as a sub for 20-30mins is quite different than getting a chance to play from the start and getting a good hour of football under your belt.

1 hour ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Maybe not in Europe but he should definitely be an option on Sunday.

Kilmarnock away is a very difficult game for us.  Why throw Itten in to that game when he's had very limited game time so far?  If the plan was to play Itten next weekend then surely he should've started against Livingston yesterday.

I doubt we'll see Itten midweek or next weekend.  Like I said, if Itten can't start at home to Livingston I don't know when his shot will come.  He certainly deserved a chance after his two goals against Motherwell but he hasn't got it.

Archived