Morelos

Swagger

Just now, British_Empire said:

Totally agree.

Morelos doesn't have to score to be an asset to us. His link-up play is superb.

It really is.

Our shape centers around him. 

People under-estimate the vision he has. When he takes a ball attacking, he literally has eyes in the back/sides of his head. He's huffy, but intelligent. 

The goals he does score are big goals due to his intelligence. 

Was disappointed in his reaction today though tbh. There was no need. Hopefully it's just a wee dummy spit and he's ready again for Thursday. Arm round him and pep talk he should be fine.

I'm sure Gerrard's said he's no issue with that reaction in the past. He'd rather he had a strop at coming off having not scored than walked off all smiles despite having not scored.

Really think that out of the options we have for the front three positions, he's the one who can really get the best out of Roofe. Roofe's not a number 9 and Defoe isn't quite physical or involved enough in the game to really create that sort of space Roofe thrives in.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alfie played well for the team today and has worked well with Roofe and Itten now.

He did have a couple of moments when he tried to rush things and gave the ball away stupidly but that was it. His all round movement and work ethic today, and the weeks preceding, have been very good.

If we play like we have today and recently the goals will come back to him but for now if he is distracting opposition players to make space for Roofe or Kent or Arfield then all is well with Rangers and Morelos.

If he starts on Thursday I certainly wouldn't bet against him to get a goal!

2 hours ago, TMB said:

If Rangers signed Morelos for £1m during the summer and we were getting this return of goals, assists, and overall play from him we would be more than satisfied.  Especially when you consider how much celtic spent on donkeys like Ajeti and Klimala.  

The problem is, Morelos has set such high standards in the past that people want to see 28 goals before Christmas again.  They want to see him break more European records.  They want to see a 20m Columbian internationalist blowing teams away.

The fans need to accept that his role in the team has changed.  He may not be scoring as many as in 2019 but he’s playing a vital role in a Rangers team that tops their domestic and European leagues.  This Rangers team is flying right now.  If it’s not broken, it doesn’t need fixed.  

Forget how much we paid for Morelos and look at the bigger picture....Morelos gave the ball away twice in the first half that resulted in McGregor having to pull off a save....on both occasions it was 1-0 and we got away with it....those mistakes are exactly the same type of mistakes that haunted us last season in dropping points...in all of those occasions the offending players were rightly criticised....are you now saying Morelos is above criticism because we never conceded on the back of his slack play?

Just now, hammer93 said:

Forget how much we paid for Morelos and look at the bigger picture....Morelos gave the ball away twice in the first half that resulted in McGregor having to pull off a save....on both occasions it was 1-0 and we got away with it....they mistakes are exactly the same type of mistakes that haunted us last season in dropping points...in all of those occasions the offending players were rightly criticised....are you now saying Morelos is above criticism because we never conceded on the back of his slack play?

Is that any different to someone giving the ball away and someone else having to make a challenge? Yes he gave the ball away, but that's also why we have a keeper and defence

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Is that any different to someone giving the ball away and someone else having to make a challenge? Yes he gave the ball away, but that's also why we have a keeper and defence

It is more significant now in the way we set up....Morelos comes deep and his lay off goes back into the middle of the park....the way we move players into the final 3rd then yes it is different.....we are playing more expansive yes? That's why Morelos has to be better in possession as out of possession we are more likely to be caught on the counter 

6 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

It is more significant now in the way we set up....Morelos comes deep and his lay off goes back into the middle of the park....the way we move players into the final 3rd then yes it is different.....we are playing more expansive yes? That's why Morelos has to be better in possession as out of possession we are more likely to be caught on the counter 

And we've got a midfield and a defence behind him. We're rarely moving the likes of Balogun, Helander etc that far forward. He has to be better in possession but losing the ball a couple of times is being massively overplayed. Aribo gave it away several times, Roofe gave it away a couple times too. That's not even something that's unique to this game - but so far we've conceded three times in 15 league games so I don't think it's quite the problem it's made out as.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

He's definitely one of the players that's struggling more so in empty stadiums. Obviously thrives under the atmosphere/pressure.

He's doing what's asked of him and it's working well for the team. Last couple of season the same issues arose when Alfies wasn't finding the net. We struggled. 

As mentioned above, 12 goals in two games yet Defoe and Morelos haven't bagged shows you the variety we have in our play.

He was terrible the 2nd half of last season when the crowds were present. 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

He's definitely one of the players that's struggling more so in empty stadiums. Obviously thrives under the atmosphere/pressure.

He's doing what's asked of him and it's working well for the team. Last couple of season the same issues arose when Alfies wasn't finding the net. We struggled. 

As mentioned above, 12 goals in two games yet Defoe and Morelos haven't bagged shows you the variety we have in our play.

Was just going to post that. I said that exact thing to my husband during the game. Some players play better without the crowd, IMO Goldson being one, but Morelos definitely loves playing to the crowd. When we sing his name he bobs his head to song and he loves it. 

34 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Forget how much we paid for Morelos and look at the bigger picture....Morelos gave the ball away twice in the first half that resulted in McGregor having to pull off a save....on both occasions it was 1-0 and we got away with it....those mistakes are exactly the same type of mistakes that haunted us last season in dropping points...in all of those occasions the offending players were rightly criticised....are you now saying Morelos is above criticism because we never conceded on the back of his slack play?

No player is above criticism.  If you want to slate Morelos for a bad pass that might have cost us on another day then fair enough.  But, try to remember the overwhelming amount of good he’s done for this team in the past, is still doing, and will continue to do until the day he’s sold.  He’s the best centre forward at the club and that wont change until the day he’s sold.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And we've got a midfield and a defence behind him. We're rarely moving the likes of Balogun, Helander etc that far forward. He has to be better in possession but losing the ball a couple of times is being massively overplayed. Aribo gave it away several times, Roofe gave it away a couple times too. That's not even something that's unique to this game - but so far we've conceded three times in 15 league games so I don't think it's quite the problem it's made out as.

I'm agreeing with what you are saying regarding mistakes being made....but don't be kidded if you believe that the minute we concede a goal that costs us points because of a half arsed lay off that it will be brushed off as "these things happen " the key is mistakes are going unpunished this season, Balogun made 2 significant errors also....I went off my nut today with Hagi...twice he laid the ball off to Aberdeen in the dying minutes....apparently it's ok because we're up 4-0....fucking bollocks....if that is a mistake at 1-0 then we go mental....to win this league we require 110% focus 👍

15 minutes ago, jintybear said:

Was just going to post that. I said that exact thing to my husband during the game. Some players play better without the crowd, IMO Goldson being one, but Morelos definitely loves playing to the crowd. When we sing his name he bobs his head to song and he loves it. 

Some players can’t cope with the pressure from the large crowds, others thrive on it.  Kent is another who I’d say thrives on it.  Even at Parkhead Kent is unintimidated and actually enjoys getting the better of them there.  

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

No player is above criticism.  If you want to slate Morelos for a bad pass that might have cost us on another day then fair enough.  But, try to remember the overwhelming amount of good he’s done for this team in the past, is still doing, and will continue to do until the day he’s sold.  He’s the best centre forward at the club and that wont change until the day he’s sold.

For me that is the greater issue here....because Morelos in the past has scored ex-amount he is seemingly getting an easier ride than someone who puts in similar performances 

Just say Barker made the 2 slack passes that Morelos had made today?

I can assure there would have been at least 2 threads on him wanting him shot:lol:

53 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Yup - I think the others have overtaken him in this respect and are playing round him rather than to him, which has always been the obvious tactic over the previous couple of seasons.

They see other options & aren’t tunnel visioned in trying to set Alf up all the time.

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Yup - I think the others have overtaken him in this respect and are playing round him rather than to him, which has always been the obvious tactic over the previous couple of seasons.

They see other options & aren’t tunnel visioned in trying to set Alf up all the time.

Seriously m8....I noticed in the pre season games how different our midfield and front three were now applying themselves.....even after a few games people were still thinking we were playing with 2/3 holding midfielders....this system now floods the attack but also looks very compact at the back

55 minutes ago, TMB said:

Is anyone really slating him for a bad pass? Its an observation and mild criticism as its not the first time. 

Most posters seem to like the new Morelos who puts in a shift for the team, far less selfish, gets more involved in link up play and draws defenders out of position. But despite saying no one is above criticism you're challenging it at every turn.

He's improved the team player aspects,but is looking less dangerous and still needs to get into the central box area more, and his odd needless sloppy passes continue. Hes still a great player but needs to cut out sloppiness and find the way to contribute with more goals whilst still doing as well coming short. Defoe today came short with link ups but still seemed more involved in the box than Morelos seems to 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Roofes a far better centre forward.. 

Archived