Morelos

Swagger

Opposition will have Morelos marked down as being our most dangerous threat. When Arfield’s goal went in he had two defenders marking him which made the space for Arfield to get the goal. Maybe he was just not as effective last night because he was targeted by Liege and marked out of the game which in turn left space for other players. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Bottom line is we’re nearly a year since his last real top performance, with a couple of highlights here and there. 

Hasn’t been the same player since the 2-1 at the piggery.

He was excellent in Benfica away. Think the analysis of him after every game needs to stop. 

Plenty of other poor performances last night too.

We have went from a team who were incredibly patchy and very reliant on one player to a team who in many ways looks like they have forgot what it is like to loose a game of football. We now have goals spread across the team and people think that isn't a conscious choice and tactical instruction...

His ability to adapt to new demands this season has been fucking outstanding. 

Some posters on here definitely have a blind spot for Morelos which has been evident for weeks and it’s a ridiculous to say he’s a better player this year than last.

The front three rotate positions so Morelos hasn’t got a different job from the other two to drop deep as they’re all doing it but the others are scoring.

To me Morelos is still the no 1 but he’s there, as are the others, to put the ball in the net, that’s his job.

I love to see that big cheeser but I’m honestly getting sick of that petted lip both throughout the game, coming off and sitting in the stands. No one likes getting subbed but you should be encouraging and motivating the guy replacing you to benefit the team as a whole.

I just want him scoring again and I do feel he’ll score in Poland.

1 hour ago, Howsitgoing said:

Opposition will have Morelos marked down as being our most dangerous threat. When Arfield’s goal went in he had two defenders marking him which made the space for Arfield to get the goal. Maybe he was just not as effective last night because he was targeted by Liege and marked out of the game which in turn left space for other players. 

Not his best game but he bought us a few free kicks upfield to relieve pressure. Hes been good in Europe and its satisfying that we can beat a decent team with guys like Alfredo not firing.

2 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

He was excellent in Benfica away. Think the analysis of him after every game needs to stop. 

Plenty of other poor performances last night too.

He was, but rather than excellence being the norm it’s the exception now - opposite of the first half of last season.

Think we’re frustrated because he has the ability to do it, but just isn’t at the races very often anymore. 

He is a huge part of this team, yes he isn't scoring the goals but he is doing more than enough to stay in the team, his goals will come and if he drops below the standard required l'm sure Gerrard wouldn't be shy in dropping him. You just need to listen to how his teammates talk about him to know how valuable he is to us.

the whole team didn't play very well last night let's be honest, we worked through it though and came away with a great victory

no point singling players out

one thing i noticed is roofe getting a bit of shit for that miss, well if it was morelos people might be a bit kinder saying - at least he's getting into those positions etc :lol:

maybe time for a bit of reflection 

42 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

Not his best game but he bought us a few free kicks upfield to relieve pressure. Hes been good in Europe and its satisfying that we can beat a decent team with guys like Alfredo not firing.

Exactly, and he’s definitely not the type thats when not playing at his best he hides. He gets stuck in and keeps going, another plus. 

Alfie needs to keep his head down and stop acting like a 12-years old when things dont turn out the way he wants them to. This season is massive, and his fitness level isnt what it used to be. Or so i think. He is important for the club, hopefully stays here to lift a trophy or two this season, but level of contribution hasnt been great last night. That being said, the whole team had a bad first half. 

23 minutes ago, Swally said:

the whole team didn't play very well last night let's be honest, we worked through it though and came away with a great victory

no point singling players out

one thing i noticed is roofe getting a bit of shit for that miss, well if it was morelos people might be a bit kinder saying - at least he's getting into those positions etc :lol:

maybe time for a bit of reflection 

We win and lose as a team, let's leave flinging cunts under the bus to that other lot.

23 minutes ago, demise said:

Alfie needs to keep his head down and stop acting like a 12-years old when things dont turn out the way he wants them to. This season is massive, and his fitness level isnt what it used to be. Or so i think. He is important for the club, hopefully stays here to lift a trophy or two this season, but level of contribution hasnt been great last night. That being said, the whole team had a bad first half. 

That's a bit mental mate. The amount of 'dirty' running he does is good this year. Last couple years he had run the channels and stayed in the box. This year he is dropping deep to keep possession, running the channels and is the out ball when Barisic and Kent pick up the ball on the flanks deep. Kent is also getting in behind from long Goldson passes because Morelos is pulling defenders out.

I'll accept a lot of things said about him, but no his fitness. 

30 minutes ago, demise said:

The lad runs non-stop but his fitness is bad?  Must be watching different games.

has not been the same player he was at the start of last season. it has been evident for a long time. Playing a dfferent position has helped disguise it a little. something has went wrong with him, most likely his head was turned on a move away.

his goal scoring record is not a pretty sight this season.

3 hours ago, BearInTheToon said:

Yeah, and I think those are the situations where he’s least confident/where we the fans don’t have as much belief in him either.

When it’s down to instincts or having to react to something, he’s lethal. 

Not making excuses for Roofe but sometimes when a chance falls to a player that he has time to think about can more difficult to put away. You see it all the time with strikers. Anyway we still got the win, and Roofe is going to be a very important for us this season. 

2 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

Some posters on here definitely have a blind spot for Morelos which has been evident for weeks and it’s a ridiculous to say he’s a better player this year than last.

The front three rotate positions so Morelos hasn’t got a different job from the other two to drop deep as they’re all doing it but the others are scoring.

To me Morelos is still the no 1 but he’s there, as are the others, to put the ball in the net, that’s his job.

I love to see that big cheeser but I’m honestly getting sick of that petted lip both throughout the game, coming off and sitting in the stands. No one likes getting subbed but you should be encouraging and motivating the guy replacing you to benefit the team as a whole.

I just want him scoring again and I do feel he’ll score in Poland.

Morelos has 7 goals this season.  That’s the same number as Roofe and Arfield.  Kent has scored 6.  So they’re scoring the same amount of goals.  You said they’re all playing the same position but “the others are scoring”, when in fact they’re all scoring. 

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

The lad runs non-stop but his fitness is bad?  Must be watching different games.

Still think he didnt have a good game, and first touch wasnt great either. He just doesnt look as sharp as he used to. Thats just imo. Its good that this season goals are coming from everywhere, so we dont rely on him to do the most part, as it was the past 2 years. 

12 hours ago, HG5 said:

Bearing in mind how well things are going in general, makes you wonder what’s holding them back?

Re Morelos in particular, I think a few believe they are better than (or as good as) him now & that it isn’t ‘all about Alfie’ any more.

May just be an impression I get but, seeing a good level of mobility & fitness amongst his teammates, I feel as if Alf’s fitness & condition are going backwards.

Got a couple of good passes tonight but it didn’t work out because he seemed slow to get on the ball, when you feel that last season’s Alf would have been on them like a rat up a drainpipe.

Noticed it myself mate, he does look slower and less fit. Even the mrs said that he looked slow last night and she hardly watches football. 

Archived