Morelos

Swagger

3 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Unfortunately closer to 15 due to the lack of goals (2) in the EL IMO however I think he’ll start and score in Poland and will score at Ibrox against Kiev 🤫

I would question that. 

He has already shown he can score goals, he is now showing he can contribute to the tactical shape of a side, assist and pass.... at a time when one of the best sides in Europe have an inconsistent at best scoring threat up top I would suggest it is now pretty accepted there is a lot more to all of this than simply goals as a source from one player. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Wait, you're not willing to value him based on his performances this season. How unsurprising.A valuation once at 20m is meaningless? Right you are.

At what stage exactly in the play was space created? 

Screenshot_2020-12-07-10-21-37-620_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.38ab8e879e277c9c3053a7d068f01fc8.jpg

At this stage.

He is worth whatever any team is willing to pay for him and his particular qualities. For a striker on a goal every other game in the knockout stages of a European competition, that amount could be huge, but because he plays for a Scottish team it likely wouldn't be. Either way it's impossible to assess on merit, because that isn't solely or even largely what determines value in the market these days. 

Again, what he may or may not have been valued at by other people before is irrelevant to anything I have posted, and while I'm sure there are some fascinating arguments you could have about it, you'll have to have them with someone else.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

That video clearly shows his impact in the goal, he dragged the LB further inside and he did not know what to do, thus it gave Tav more space, to deny so is utterly madness.

No one is saying he never had an impact on the goal but its the basics where he has pulled his marker with him but look at Kent, he’s pulled two players which is when the numbers reduce and the advantages start to open up. 

8 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Aye it reads like that...:stevieg:

Why?

My frustration us that Morelos can bring us far far more than he is, even in this new role. He's capable of so much more in an attacking sense as shown last season with a fully justified then valuation of 20m.

But its fucking naive to think he's maintaining that value let alone adding to us being offered 16m when at the peak of his game to now being worth 25m when he's not.

But aye, crack on mate 😂

@SeparateEntityMyArse what part of my post is untrue?

we don't score that goal if Alfredo doesn't come short and drag a defender out

I stand by this. We don't score that goal if Alfredo doesn't come short and drag a defender out. The videos posted clearly show that. 

You can call it 'simple' football if you want, the fact that Morelos's sheer presence alarms CBs who get dragged out by him is a result of his play over the past few years. 

We are now asking him to consistently come out of the box and, even still, he should have got a goal yesterday but Tav cocked it up.

Overall though, I honestly could not give one solitary fuck whilst the team continues to pump 4 goals past teams. 

In terms of his overall play I think he's inside his own head. He'll do good things, like drag players out of position or get in to a good area himself, but if he's making the final pass/shooting then more times than not right now he's making a meal of that.

There's a cracking player in there somewhere, but - and I said this yesterday during the match - I still think he's suffering from the LCF.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Why?

My frustration us that Morelos can bring us far far more than he is, even in this new role. He's capable of so much more in an attacking sense as shown last season with a fully justified then valuation of 20m.

But its fucking naive to think he's maintaining that value let alone adding to us being offered 16m when at the peak of his game to now being worth 25m when he's not.

But aye, crack on mate 😂

Rangers are averaging the best part of 3 goals a game, how many should they be? 4,5,6?

Rangers have clearly made a conscious choice to change their style of play - a choice that has lead to qualification from their Europa league group and 14 wins out of 16. I would suggest his MANAGER will be fucking delighted with what he is tactically bringing to his team. 

I would suggest scouts will look at him and think, fuck he can score, lead a line of attack on his own AND do all the shit he is doing this season. 

If a value was solely about goals Cosgrove should have left Aberdeen for about 10 million, but it's not. 

8 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Screenshot_2020-12-07-10-21-37-620_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.38ab8e879e277c9c3053a7d068f01fc8.jpg

At this stage.

He is worth whatever any team is willing to pay for him and his particular qualities. For a striker on a goal every other game in the knockout stages of a European competition, that amount could be huge, but because he plays for a Scottish team it likely wouldn't be. Either way it's impossible to assess on merit, because that isn't solely or even largely what determines value in the market these days. 

Again, what he may or may not have been valued at by other people before is irrelevant to anything I have posted, and while I'm sure there are some fascinating arguments you could have about it, you'll have to have them with someone else.

it is not alfredo who is to credit here. it is ryan kent he has exploited the space on the right and by the time alfredo gets the ball 3 ross county players are out of shape. alfredo does create even more space though.

a lot of space down the right of the park when kent runs through.

Just now, Mclean RFC said:

it is not alfredo who is to credit here. it is ryan kent he has exploited the space on the right and by the time alfredo gets the ball 3 ross county players are out of shape. alfredo does create even more space though.

a lot of space down the right of the park when kent runs through.

Why on earth does it have to be an either/or situation? Morelos is quite clearly dragging two players towards him and away from the right hand side, allowing Tav in behind. You watched it. You know this. It has nothing to do with Kent. Nor does pointing this out mean that Kent isn't also doing good work. Is there some sort of law that says two of our players can't be doing effective and vital work in different parts of the pitch that leads to a goal?

7 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Rangers are averaging the best part of 3 goals a game, how many should they be? 4,5,6?

Rangers have clearly made a conscious choice to change their style of play - a choice that has lead to qualification from their Europa league group and 14 wins out of 16. I would suggest his MANAGER will be fucking delighted with what he is tactically bringing to his team. 

I would suggest scouts will look at him and think, fuck he can score, lead a line of attack on his own AND do all the shit he is doing this season. 

If a value was solely about goals Cosgrove should have left Aberdeen for about 10 million, but it's not. 

Goals are a massive part of a forward/striker you do have to admit. although i agree it is not the end all and be all for strikers.

i think he has been average at best as a deep lying forward. but the reasons are unclear. perhaps because he has not played as a DLF before. but his running i have noticed his intensity and chasing the ball are nowhere near what it was. if he had that hunger to chase down every ball in the DLF position he would be even better a player.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

If a team improves on its weakest areas then the overall output improves. That can be by improving those not performing as good as others, or replacing them.

You seem to think Morelos is performing highly in his current role. I think that's shite and that's why he's not getting numbers or been close to being our best player often. I think Roofe is offering more in a similar role. 

I actually think Morelos will improve, he just needs breaks in front of goal. That's why Tav was desperate to set him up. If Morelos can get his numbers up and his overall impact better then we'll all be happy, and yes the results will improve further. Hes perfectly capable.

5 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

He needs a spell on the bench, his touch is heavy and his passing is erratic.
3 goals n his last 21 league games isn’t good enough for our highest paid player.

There isn't anything we should change atm going into this next 6 weeks period of games mate. 

If it's not broke and all that 

No coincidence that our biggest win (by goals scored) of the season was without Morelos in the lineup. We create loads of chances and Morelos isn't a good enough finisher at the moment, he has massively regressed as a player for some reason and I'd love to see what a technically better player could do in his role.. 

1 minute ago, Mclean RFC said:

Goals are a massive part of a forward/striker you do have to admit. although i agree it is not the end all and be all for strikers.

i think he has been average at best as a deep lying forward. but the reasons are unclear. perhaps because he has not played as a DLF before. but his running i have noticed his intensity and chasing the ball are nowhere near what it was. if he had that hunger to chase down every ball in the DLF position he would be even better a player.

Morelos has shown the ability to score goals though, it is something he can clearly do. 

I would suggest our performance and ratio of goals and wins this season suggest the tactical choices and personnel is working pretty well. 

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If a team improves on its weakest areas then the overall output improves. That can be by improving those not performing as good as others, or replacing them.

You seem to think Morelos is performing highly in his current role. I think that's shite and that's why he's not getting numbers or been close to being our best player often. I think Roofe is offering more in a similar role. 

I actually think Morelos will improve, he just needs breaks in front of goal. That's why Tav was desperate to set him up. If Morelos can get his numbers up and his overall impact better then we'll all be happy, and yes the results will improve further. Hes perfectly capable.

I like Steven Gerrard more than you though mate, I think he knows fuck loads more about football than you. 

6 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Why on earth does it have to be an either/or situation? Morelos is quite clearly dragging two players towards him and away from the right hand side, allowing Tav in behind. You watched it. You know this. It has nothing to do with Kent. Nor does pointing this out mean that Kent isn't also doing good work. Is there some sort of law that says two of our players can't be doing effective and vital work in different parts of the pitch that leads to a goal?

watch the shape of the ross county players when kent runs through. thats all im saying.

Ultimately he must be doing what he is being asked to do because Gerrard continues to select him. 

we are winning and we are playing well and we are dominating. 

His instincts in previous seasons were to get in the box and to shoot at first sight. He has clearly been coached now to drop deep and link play instead. He is going against his natural instincts for the greater good. 

You can debate all day about whether that makes him a better player or a worse player but Gerrard picks him. 

2 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Ultimately he must be doing what he is being asked to do because Gerrard continues to select him. 

we are winning and we are playing well and we are dominating. 

His instincts in previous seasons were to get in the box and to shoot at first sight. He has clearly been coached now to drop deep and link play instead. He is going against his natural instincts for the greater good. 

You can debate all day about whether that makes him a better player or a worse player but Gerrard picks him. 

I think this is a very good post, even though I think Itten should get his chance which does seem to contradict it. 

We haven't won anything yet, and Morelos has always been worse after the Xmas period (possibly struggles with the Scottish climate) Also we have a real chance in Europe this year but we need better than Morelos and we have to be more clinical. Think Roofe and Aribo  Could be a great combination, if Itten isnt the answer... 

4 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I like Steven Gerrard more than you though mate, I think he knows fuck loads more about football than you. 

Pretty sure I like him more than you tbf 🤣🤣

Not sure why either of our man love for the guy matters. He still plays Brandon fuckiing Barker so he's far from perfect.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Lets not ignore Hamilton are the worst side in the league and had not played for nearly 3 weeks before that game. That played it's part in the score line..

And we were angry after the Benfica capitulation. 

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Pretty sure I like him more than you tbf 🤣🤣

Not sure why either of our man love for the guy matters. He still plays Brandon fuckiing Barker so he's far from perfect.

It matters because you are just some random on a forum fundamentally shitting flies at the moon, 

Gerrard is making tactical decisions and alterations to Rangers style and Morelos position that are probably going to win Rangers a league. I find one of those things credible as fuck and the other not so much. 

Archived