Morelos

Swagger

9 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Morelos has shown the ability to score goals though, it is something he can clearly do. 

I would suggest our performance and ratio of goals and wins this season suggest the tactical choices and personnel is working pretty well. 

it is working really well. but right now i think alfredo should have less game time and more given to defoe.  let us see if we can be even better.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Ultimately he must be doing what he is being asked to do because Gerrard continues to select him. 

we are winning and we are playing well and we are dominating. 

His instincts in previous seasons were to get in the box and to shoot at first sight. He has clearly been coached now to drop deep and link play instead. He is going against his natural instincts for the greater good. 

You can debate all day about whether that makes him a better player or a worse player but Gerrard picks him. 

I wonder if Gerrard is influenced by starting out in a team with Emile Heskey up front, a man whose goal-scoring record was similar to that of certain maverick Latin American goalkeepers, but who seemed to be trusted by managers for club and country.

13 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

It matters because you are just some random on a forum fundamentally shitting flies at the moon, 

Gerrard is making tactical decisions and alterations to Rangers style and Morelos position that are probably going to win Rangers a league. I find one of those things credible as fuck and the other not so much. 

What does shitting flies at the moon mean mate?

So Gerrard has no failings? Interesting but bullshit nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

What does shutting flies at the moon mean mate?

So Gerrard has no failings? Interesting but bullshit nonetheless.

Shitting flies at the moon, it means it is a pointless exercise. 

Gerrard is an ever improving coach, who is showing what his thoughts, process, coaching etc does on a big muckle green football park, with players wearing Rangers tops and it is working like fuck...I take what he has to say more seriously than what you are saying here, it's not that mental a claim to make. 

I would doubt you would even hold the squads attention long enough to try and even give them tactics let alone have them buy in to execute them on a park that is why I am thinking you are maybe talking shite... 

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Gerrard is an ever improving coach, who is showing what his thoughts, process, coaching etc does on a big muckle green football park, with players wearing Rangers tops and it is working like fuck...I take what he has to say more seriously than what you are saying here, it's not that mental a claim to make. 

I would doubt you would even hold the squads attention long enough to try and even give them tactics let alone have them buy in to execute them on a park that is why I am thinking you are maybe talking shite... 

I think moon howling was a term I heard yesterday which is appropriate for you here. 

Who has been the worst Rangers player in Gerrards tenure here in your opinion? How much has he criticised that individual on their playing performance? Because he does it very rarely ascuts not in his style of management to criticise, only to be positive. Yet we all know we've had some donkeys.

Actually thinking about it maybe Morelos he's been most critical of because he knows he had more to give. A bit like now really.

Anyways, flies shit moon etc 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Strange point of view. We're on a football forum discussing opinions, don't think anyone's claiming they should be Managing the club... 

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I think moon howling was a term I heard yesterday which is appropriate for you here. 

Who has been the worst Rangers player in Gerrards tenure here in your opinion? How much has he criticised that individual on their playing performance? Because he does it very rarely ascuts not in his style of management to criticise, only to be positive. Yet we all know we've had some donkeys.

Actually thinking about it maybe Morelos he's been most critical of because he knows he had more to give. A bit like now really.

Anyways, flies shit moon etc 😂😂😂

The worst? Sadiq wasn't great was he.... Grezda was pretty shit, Lafferty was grim.... . The first few seasons he was with us he was very open in his critique of players after games so to say he has rarely done it, is pish to be fair, mind the closed door games when he hurled a few of them right under the bus.... 

1 minute ago, berkshirebear said:

Strange point of view. We're on a football forum discussing opinions, don't think anyone's claiming they should be Managing the club... 

It's not actually that  strange it's just that on occasion fans delude themselves into thinking they know more than people selecting a team..... on occasion meh maybe, at the moment.... the way we are playing come on now eh.... 

19 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I wonder if Gerrard is influenced by starting out in a team with Emile Heskey up front, a man whose goal-scoring record was similar to that of certain maverick Latin American goalkeepers, but who seemed to be trusted by managers for club and country.

Um. Doubt it. Isn’t Gerrard more or less mimicking the current Liverpool style and system? 

Don’t watch enough of Liverpool but I have heard this said often enough to make it seem like it’s accepted wisdom. 

1 minute ago, Bakbear said:

Um. Doubt it. Isn’t Gerrard more or less mimicking the current Liverpool style and system? 

Don’t watch enough of Liverpool but I have heard this said often enough to make it seem like it’s accepted wisdom. 

I was joking :lol: 

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Fully agree other than the last sentence. I dont see him doing anything excellently, especially not where his touch and link up playbhas been concerned.

He was excellent against Benfica, twice, in that very role......

4 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Put it a different way. If his only time with us had been since August what value would you put on his head? If you're honest it won't be particularly high, which suggests he's appreciated for what he has done and is capable of rather than what he's doing. Imho.

I think that's a really interesting point.

I would say if he had pitched up from Finland and had only played that role, not been a nutter and had a bunch of red cards, not scored a barrel load of goals, then I would be very pleased with his contribution to a team that has won the vast majority of its games, lost none, and given that he was playing behind the strikers, a lot of credit for chipping in with vital goals. I'd probably be confused with why he was such a huffy bastard and would then stick him in the £5 Million bracket.

I don't think he had a great game on Sunday, but I also don't think he had a bad game. I like that he seems to have matured in terms of discipline and contribution in the build up. But like everyone else I obviously wish he would add a few more goals to his game.

Personally, I think people suggesting we should have Itten in there instead of Alfie (and I'm not suggesting you are one of them) hugely underestimate his contribution. For want of a better comparison, and to use an American Football analogy, I think he draws a lot of double teams based simply on his reputation. Defenders go to him, and are wary of the threat,  which is why we are seeing a lot of goals from other positions - which is why we are winning a lot more games.

Which is why I would change fuck all   :rangers:

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You seem irked. No need after a super Sunday. My only bee in bonnet is to see objectivity. I think its a bit lacking where Morelos us concerned.

I'll ask you a question I asked someone else.

If Morelos signed in the summer what value would you put on his head. Roofe came in allegedly around 4.5m as a comparison. How highly would you value him based on his performances this season, rough ball park figure I'll take ? 

Not sure if I seen an answer given to that question and rightly so, it's a stupid fucking question imo.

People can argue opinions all day on here but it changes nothing. It's clear to see that Alfie is maybe just lacking the edge to his game we are used to but the facts of the matter are

1) we are winning

2)the manager is satisfied he is doing enough to keep his place.

Now we all might have opinions who could do better than Alfie but again the other players need to show enough to get a start before him and in the opinion of the manager they aren't doing this.

16 hours ago, MorelosRangers said:

Why change something when this system is working?

Well, when Defoe came on he scored.  Because he was in the box.  Some parts of the system are working.  Centre Forwards are meant to score, at least now and again.

40 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

He was excellent against Benfica, twice, in that very role......

He was very good against Benfica in that very role. Over the course of the season I've failed to see him consistently deliver anywhere near that level in his hold up play.

Which demonstrates either he can but hasn't been, or he is yet you've picked out 2 specific games. If its the latter, you're at it. If its the former, why are we not seeing Benfica levels more regularly? 

26 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Not sure if I seen an answer given to that question and rightly so, it's a stupid fucking question imo.

So stupid that answering it would show a poor return in value. Hence not being answered rather than a poor question.

I could ask if you saw this season's Alfie playing this way in another team would you want us to sign him. But I know you'd not want to answer that either.

40 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

I think that's a really interesting point.

I would say if he had pitched up from Finland and had only played that role, not been a nutter and had a bunch of red cards, not scored a barrel load of goals, then I would be very pleased with his contribution to a team that has won the vast majority of it's games, lost none, and given that he was playing behind the strikers, a lot of credit for chipping in with vital goals. I'd probably be confused with why he was such a huffy bastard and would then stick him in the £5 Million bracket.

I don't think he had a great game on Sunday, but I also don't think he had a bad game. I like that he seems to have matured in terms of discipline and contribution in the build up. But like everyone else I obviously wish he would add a few more goals to his game.

Personally, I think people suggesting we should have Itten in there instead of Alfie (and I'm not suggesting you are one of them) hugely underestimate his contribution. For want of a better comparison, and to use an American Football analogy, I think he draws a lot of double teams based simply on his reputation. Defenders go to him, and are wary of the threat,  which is why we are seeing a lot of goals from other positions - which is why we are winning a lot more games.

Which is why I would change fuck all   :rangers:

Good response 👍 And Id agree with a chunk of it.

So if he gets firing again its win win all round, which is what we all want. If we accept hes contributing less than he can and should, then why shouldn't we call it out just because we're winning. 

If we improve the lesser parts of our play, then the overall performance will improve. If Alfie delivers more we will be sensational rather than very good / excellent.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Good response 👍 And Id agree with a chunk of it.

So if he gets firing again its win win all round, which is what we all want. If we accept hes contributing less than he can and should, then why shouldn't we call it out just because we're winning. 

If we improve the lesser parts of our play, then the overall performance will improve. If Alfie delivers more we will be sensational rather than very good / excellent.

I think it's fine to say he's not contributing as much as he should (or likely can/will) but I think sometimes we forget he's still a young player, playing abroad, and he's been asked this season to fundamentally change his game for the sake of overall team performance.   

In my view, he'll only get better by playing that role week in week out and I would fully expect him be more and more influential. The reality is we now have a recognised front three, something I don't think we've really had for a long time, and it simply makes no sense to change it and every bit of sense to let the players to build a better understanding of each others game.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Itten, I think he lacks something when it comes to picking up scraps that both Alfie and Roofe are particularly good at, and I just don't see him as a starter. But that's me and I've certainly been wrong about a number of players before and will be again!!

But as you say, if Morelos clicks, with the way we are playing now, I think we could be absolutely sensational 

Archived