FAO: older bears RE: Derek Johnstone

GOAT

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main memory of DJ was attending a training session as a 15 year old (my auntie's beau at the time had connections)

Was a great day, met so many legends including John Greig (manager at the time) Tommy McLean, Davie Cooper and many more. The thing that struck me was that DJ had a beer belly!!

From what I remember he was carrying a bit too much weight in his later days and wasn't mobile enough for up top....funny thing is he went to chelsea then went on loan to Dundee utd....he scored 2 on his debut as a striker....if I remember rightly he claimed it was a dream come true to score on his debut for his boyhood club 

7 hours ago, hammer93 said:

From what I remember he was carrying a bit too much weight in his later days and wasn't mobile enough for up top....funny thing is he went to chelsea then went on loan to Dundee utd....he scored 2 on his debut as a striker....if I remember rightly he claimed it was a dream come true to score on his debut for his boyhood club 

Yeah grew up an Arab fan

On 24/10/2020 at 15:29, slimjim1690 said:

As I recall there was stories in the newspapers at the time that Chelsea were after him to sign and Jock Wallace had to dash down to London and track him down in his hotel and the only way that DJ would sign a new contract was if he was made captain and moved back to CH, hard to believe that big Jock would have relented but that story was quite strongly believed at the time.

Most of that matches my recollection at the time - I thought DJ had demanded to play CH, or else....

Hadn’t realised JW had had to chase him down in London😂

DJ would have gone close if not passed Super Allys total but while a great player he did struggle with his weight and was prone to being lazy. If Rangers had been more ambitious through all of his career ( we refused to spend money through John Greigs tenure as manager) he would have won more and scored more. A truly great player capable of playing centre half, centre midfield and centre forward but centre forward was his best position. 1 Ecwc medal, 3 league, 5 sc and 5 lc say no more.

2 hours ago, HG5 said:

2 hours ago, HG5 said:

Most of that matches my recollection at the time - I thought DJ had demanded to play CH, or else....

Hadn’t realised JW had had to chase him down in London😂

He was apparently going to sign for Chelsea the following day if Jock hadn't caught up with him the night before.

I was never keen on him at centre half. He did have a great game at the back in the  cup winners cup final, but I preferred him playing up front. There was a game in 1977 against the filth where he played centre half. We were 2-0 down at half time. Big Jock Wallace brought on John Greig in the 2nd half, put DJ up front and we won 3-2, it's still one of my favourite games against them. 

On 24/10/2020 at 16:42, shotstopper said:

Find it hard to believe you did not know that fact in our history. 1970 LEAGUE cup final at hampden with a crowd of 106,000. Yes I'm an old yin and yes I was there as DJ rose between McNeil and Craig to bullet home that header past Ronnie Simpson for the only goal of the game. I wonder, does anyone have any clips of the game? Happy memories.

DJ was pure Gold!  Apart from his heading ability, he scored all kinds of goals. He was not slow up front and got first to many balls put in behind defenders to run on and score.  Tap ins blooters,  volleys, every kind of finish you could see.  In the same mould as AM Jim Forrest etc ...........pure finisher!   Many nights in The Wee Rangers Club after the game .   Flawed genius off course. Had he taken better care of himself etc etc. Ach well same thing applies to many football talents back then.

Archived