Player nicknames.

My Fathers Scarf

Whats the best nickname you remember for a player. We’ve got shagger (mcgreggor), moody blue ( super davie cooper), the hulk (davy Urquhart if I remember right), ham & egg (john greig) to name a few. My favourite is ‘The goalie’. It says it all. Whats your favourite? Pished.😀

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, doc holliday said:

My pals and I called  Peter McCloy  ..Big Sadie....that is one I always remenber.My favourite one for a sellick player was 'Silversleeves' for Jimmy Johnstone because   he constantly wiped his nose on his jersey sleeves.

Junkie was a player. Met him in late life and he was some character bur its bears names I'm interested in.👍

22 minutes ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

My late dad had umpteen nicknames for players. Used to sit in awe listening to him, my uncle and grandad talking about the Rangers. Seemed every player had a nickname then.

Mind my Granda talking about the wee blue devil (Alan Morton) and the iron curtain.

Kinda wish now id asked him more about it at the time but i  was only a young boy at the time!

8 minutes ago, doc holliday said:

My pals and I called  Peter McCloy  ..Big Sadie....that is one I always remenber.My favourite one for a sellick player was 'Silversleeves' for Jimmy Johnstone because   he constantly wiped his nose on his jersey sleeves.

Big Peter was the girvan lighthouse

Sadie was dave mcpherson as far as i remember anyways!

Archived