Defoe

RockwellGers

I didn't see the game today, but when I saw Defoe was starting I was really hoping he would quickly prove his value yet again and score. He did, and just saw the goal - what a touch! Many times the guy has wowed me with a first touch, an absolute joy to watch and he has been an excellent asset to the club in his time here.

That was his 300th career goal today as well, well done son. Love the guy.

image.thumb.png.3e2d032b84fe77a901d2f84853e8b693.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Number5 said:

The 2nd world class goal in a matter of days for us.

That goal today was an absolute gem. A goal that very few could score with such nonchalance. 

What a way to hit 300!!

he just said on sky sports  that it was a special place and a special club for him to get his 300th

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

He took his goal well but I'd rather game time was given to Itten or Roofe rather than a guy who is destined to retire at the end of the season.

He scored so it clearly was a good decision. Itten and Roofe will get in about it soon enough I think

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The 2nd world class goal in a matter of days for us.

That goal today was an absolute gem. A goal that very few could score with such nonchalance. 

What a way to hit 300!!

It reminded me of the kind of finish Romario of Brazil used to do, just pass it into the net first time. Extremely difficult but made to look easy.

3 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

It reminded me of the kind of finish Romario of Brazil used to do, just pass it into the net first time. Extremely difficult but made to look easy.

Ball coming in his blind spot and he just walks on to it like he does it 10 times a day. Fucking unreal finish.

25 minutes ago, TMB said:

He took his goal well but I'd rather game time was given to Itten or Roofe rather than a guy who is destined to retire at the end of the season.

Doesnt matter who it is, he scores a goal like that and you bitch about other players getting game time, who both did get game time 🤔

28 minutes ago, TMB said:

He was our top goalscorer in the league last season with minimal gametime, he starts again he scores what's not to like. Itten and Roofe both played.

34 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think he'll be here longer. I think Gerrard feels he's ideal for matches like today. For me he's the best finisher we have, as his goal today proved. I doubt Itten or Roofe are scoring that. I reckon Gerrard feels if teams are going to park the bus we might only get a few clear chances, or be restricted to shots outside the box. Makes sense in that situation to have someone like Defoe who can finish like that. It turned out a bit different today int he end. Besides, everyone will have a big role to play this season. 

I think he earns his wage as much around the training field and in the dressing room as he does on the pitch. You can see the relationships he builds and I imagine, from what we hear, the way he trains and carries himself is exemplary and sets the standard.

Still banging them in.

There's definitely games where he can do a job.

1 hour ago, DrLaudrup said:

I think he'll be here longer. I think Gerrard feels he's ideal for matches like today. For me he's the best finisher we have, as his goal today proved. I doubt Itten or Roofe are scoring that. I reckon Gerrard feels if teams are going to park the bus we might only get a few clear chances, or be restricted to shots outside the box. Makes sense in that situation to have someone like Defoe who can finish like that. It turned out a bit different today int he end. Besides, everyone will have a big role to play this season. 

We blew our entire summer transfer budget on two new strikers.  We currently have 4 strikers and we play a one striker formation.  Itten and Roofe need the game time because they’re the future of this club.  As I said, I like Defoe but at 38 he’s retiring at the end of this season and should only be played when the others are unavailable IMO. 

Archived