Defoe

RockwellGers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, TMB said:

If we blew our entire summer transfer budget on two new strikers.  We currently have 4 strikers and we play a one striker formation.  Itten and Roofe need the game time because they’re the future of this club.  As I said, I like Defoe but at 38 he’s retiring at the end of this season and should only be played when the others are unavailable IMO. 

Appreciate where you're coming from but this season is pretty damn important. If we need to sacrifice just a tiny bit of succession planning in order to win the league this year then so be it

I watched a video of Defoe talking about football to some of our current players.  He was going in to great detail about where to stand in relation to the defenders, movement, etc.  I'd love it if he stayed on as a coach next season.  I can't see him staying on as a striker given we have 3 other options who are much younger and are worth quite a bit of money.  Even if Morelos was sold we would all expect another option brought in.

Just now, BlueKnight87 said:

I was surprised to see him start today. But what a finish he produced. 

I don't think he'll get as much game time this season but he'll still chip in when called upon. 

Exactly mate, he does Exactly what it says on the tin, he’s a goal scorer and has never lost it. His age and things I agree, he shouldn’t play 3 games a week, but like you said there’s games he can have an impact. What a goal for being out for so long aswell 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

He took his goal well but I'd rather game time was given to Itten or Roofe rather than a guy who is destined to retire at the end of the season.

we are not about giving game time it is all about 3 pts defoe was involved in the 1st and scored the 2nd   manager is then proved right end of story

I love the wee man. You can tell how much he loves playing for us and he had even mentioned before he wishes he joined us when he was younger.

I still can't believe we actually signed him as all I remembered him for was been the top striker in the premiership.

3 hours ago, RockwellGers said:

I didn't see the game today, but when I saw Defoe was starting I was really hoping he would quickly prove his value yet again and score. He did, and just saw the goal - what a touch! Many times the guy has wowed me with a first touch, an absolute joy to watch and he has been an excellent asset to the club in his time here.

That was his 300th career goal today as well, well done son. Love the guy.

image.thumb.png.3e2d032b84fe77a901d2f84853e8b693.png

300 goals what a fantastic return from a true gentleman on and off the field 

Archived