Defoe

RockwellGers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TMB said:

We blew our entire summer transfer budget on two new strikers.  We currently have 4 strikers and we play a one striker formation.  Itten and Roofe need the game time because they’re the future of this club.  As I said, I like Defoe but at 38 he’s retiring at the end of this season and should only be played when the others are unavailable IMO. 

As we should have done, our main striker was not performing still isn't and was wanting a move away and we thought he would be gone.

still does not make a good argument for not playing Defoe who never lets us down and invariable always scores when played, your suggestion to pay him a wage for nothing is madness.

I could see it if he never scored or did not work hard when he's played but you always get 100% from Defoe that's what's made him a great pro. 

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

As we should have done, our main striker was not performing still isn't and was wanting a move away and we thought he would be gone.

still does not make a good argument for not playing Defoe who never lets us down and invariable always scores when played, your suggestion to pay him a wage for nothing is madness.

I could see it if he never scored or did not work hard when he's played but you always get 100% from Defoe that's what's made him a great pro. 

The transfer window is shut Morelos isn't going anywhere.  If there was a problem with Morelos in terms of attitude or Performance then Gerrard wouldn't be playing him.

Morelos is our main striker and we're asking £20m for him so I expect him to play in most matches.  Rangers just spent £7m on Roofe and Itten so I'd expect them to be getting game time when possible.

Defoe is 38 and I expect he'll be retiring at the end of the season.  I'm sure Defoe adds value on the training pitch and can help develop guys like Itten.  But, Itten wont develop if he's sat on the bench all season the boy needs to play.  After coming off the bench against Motherwell and scoring a brace Itten deserves a start and yesterday would've been perfect.

Wouldn't it make sense to give our Swiss international striker a start at Ibrox against Livingston?  If he's not going to start that game when will he?

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

The transfer window is shut Morelos isn't going anywhere.  If there was a problem with Morelos in terms of attitude or Performance then Gerrard wouldn't be playing him.

Morelos is our main striker and we're asking £20m for him so I expect him to play in most matches.  Rangers just spent £7m on Roofe and Itten so I'd expect them to be getting game time when possible.

Defoe is 38 and I expect he'll be retiring at the end of the season.  I'm sure Defoe adds value on the training pitch and can help develop guys like Itten.  But, Itten wont develop if he's sat on the bench all season the boy needs to play.  After coming off the bench against Motherwell and scoring a brace Itten deserves a start and yesterday would've been perfect.

Wouldn't it make sense to give our Swiss international striker a start at Ibrox against Livingston?  If he's not going to start that game when will he?

The Morelos argument is done to death on here he gets far too much attention when he's stood still while the rest of the team have pushed on.

Defoe plays as he's been doing well in training  and when selected  he always scores I cant see how any supporter can have an issue with that.

Itten I would like to see more regularly but obviously the manager selected Defoe and yesterday he showed it was the right decision, you also have to remember Defoe is not in the Euro squad so its an ideal time to start him.

Your idea that we just leave Defoe in the stands now as he may retire at the end of the season when he contributes so much does not make any sense.

11 minutes ago, Smile said:

The Morelos argument is done to death on here he gets far too much attention when he's stood still while the rest of the team have pushed on.

Defoe plays as he's been doing well in training  and when selected  he always scores I cant see how any supporter can have an issue with that.

Itten I would like to see more regularly but obviously the manager selected Defoe and yesterday he showed it was the right decision, you also have to remember Defoe is not in the Euro squad so its an ideal time to start him.

Your idea that we just leave Defoe in the stands now as he may retire at the end of the season when he contributes so much does not make any sense.

Morelos has been miles ahead of everyone else in the squad for years.  He's had two 30 goal seasons and at at times has been carrying the rest of this team on his back.  If not for Morelos Rangers don't make it out the Europa group stages last season.  The rest of the team HAD to kick on and thankfully they have.

Defoe doesn't "always score".  There's games where he has played and not scored.  At least be factually accurate with your praise.

Itten and Roofe were big money signings and need game time.  Itten deserved a start after the Motherwell game.

"contributes so much" - Defoe's scored two goals.  One against Red Imps, one against Livingston.

Just now, TMB said:

Morelos has been miles ahead of everyone else in the squad for years.  He's had two 30 goal seasons and at at times has been carrying the rest of this team on his back.  If not for Morelos Rangers don't make it out the Europa group stages last season.  The rest of the team HAD to kick on and thankfully they have.

Defoe doesn't "always score".  There's games where he has played and not scored.  At least be factually accurate with your praise.

Itten and Roofe were big money signings and need game time.  Defoe will hang up his boots at the end of the season.

"contributes so much" - He's scored two goals.  One against Red Imps, one against Livingston.

Why are you turning this into a Morelos thread there one already, this is about Defoe try and keep on topic.

Defoe was top goalscorer in the league last season with limited starts, he's proven if played he contributes as much as any other striker in our team you seem upset by that and would rather we pay him to sit in the stands.

Madness.

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

Why are you turning this into a Morelos thread there one already, this is about Defoe try and keep on topic.

Defoe was top goalscorer in the league last season with limited starts, he's proven if played he contributes as much as any other striker in our team you seem upset by that and would rather we pay him to sit in the stands.

Madness.

You're claiming that Defoe "contributes so much" to this team when in fact he doesn't.  Rangers have scored 40 goals this season and only 2 of those have been scored by Defoe.  Those two goals have came in comfortable wins against Red Imps and Livingston.  So he hasn't contributed much at all.

Do you know who contributes more to this Rangers team than Defoe?  Alfredo Morelos.  Morelos isn't banging goals in the way he has previously but his overall play is still crucial to this team, this system, and the success it's had so far.

Last season Defoe was played domestically because Morelos was getting a rest for Europe.  We only had two strikers so it was one or the other.  If Gerrard wants to rest Morelos domestically this season I'm fine with that but play the new strikers.  Why spend £7m on two new strikers and park them on the bench?

As I said, Defoe could add value as a coach and I hope he becomes a member of the coaching staff at the end of the season.  His playing days are almost over.

49 minutes ago, TMB said:

You're claiming that Defoe "contributes so much" to this team when in fact he doesn't.  Rangers have scored 40 goals this season and only 2 of those have been scored by Defoe.  Those two goals have came in comfortable wins against Red Imps and Livingston.  So he hasn't contributed much at all.

Do you know who contributes more to this Rangers team than Defoe?  Alfredo Morelos.  Morelos isn't banging goals in the way he has previously but his overall play is still crucial to this team, this system, and the success it's had so far.

Last season Defoe was played domestically because Morelos was getting a rest for Europe.  We only had two strikers so it was one or the other.  If Gerrard wants to rest Morelos domestically this season I'm fine with that but play the new strikers.  Why spend £7m on two new strikers and park them on the bench?

As I said, Defoe could add value as a coach and I hope he becomes a member of the coaching staff at the end of the season.  His playing days are almost over.

Did you read this again and think how many times can I mention Moreles in a thread about Defoe this leads me to believe that's the problem you have with Defoe playing, Morelos wasn't.

You want to big up Morelos I get that but there is a thread for that not titled Defoe.

As I said Defoe is not in the Euro squad and he never let's us down when picked we pay his wages as a footballer not as a coach so while he can turn in performnces like yesterday it would be madness to keep him out the team.

Try and keep on the topic of Defoe as that's what the thread is about.

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Exactly...

SG picks a team to win the particular match we are playing on that day whilst keeping the squad fit, rotated and hungry.

Today he decided Defoe would be part of that team and he was proven correct with a truly sublime goal. How many times have we heard ‘one game at a time’ which thankfully is what we are doing so well meantime.
Undoubtedly there are other players in the team who could benefit from more game time (regardless of value, ability, experience) they will get their opportunity but meantime just keep selecting the players that will do the business for each individual set of opponents, venue and style of play👌...

5 minutes ago, Robmc1 said:

Exactly...

SG picks a team to win the particular match we are playing on that day whilst keeping the squad fit, rotated and hungry.

Today he decided Defoe would be part of that team and he was proven correct with a truly sublime goal. How many times have we heard ‘one game at a time’ which thankfully is what we are doing so well meantime.
Undoubtedly there are other players in the team who could benefit from more game time (regardless of value, ability, experience) they will get their opportunity but meantime just keep selecting the players that will do the business for each individual set of opponents, venue and style of play👌...

Players get a rest and others players get a chance to show they can contribute and be counted on it will be a long tough season so we need to keep as many players fit as possible.

7 minutes ago, Smile said:

Players get a rest and others players get a chance to show they can contribute and be counted on it will be a long tough season so we need to keep as many players fit as possible.

This is probably the most upbeat and hopeful I have seen you on this forum!

Long may it continue and get us that league title in the bag!

Bit undecided on whether to play Defoe .

On one  hand the wee man did the business at the weekend nobody can argue with that.

On the other JD is done come end of season and doubtless  Morelos agent will be touting his services around  again any time soon in anticipation off January window.

Surely the gaffer needs Roofe or Itten firing well , preferably both, and should be focusing on them.

5 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Bit undecided on whether to play Defoe .

On one  hand the wee man did the business at the weekend nobody can argue with that.

On the other JD is done come end of season and doubtless  Morelos agent will be touting his services around  again any time soon in anticipation off January window.

Surely the gaffer needs Roofe or Itten firing well , preferably both, and should be focusing on them.

We only had Morelos and Defoe last season.  Morelos looked certain to leave during the summer window.  So the club gives Defoe a years extension and brings in two new strikers which cost the bulk of our summer transfer budget.  I think if Morelos was sold in the summer Rangers could've, and probably would've, went in to this season with three strikers: Defoe, Itten, and Roofe.  But Morelos has stayed and he'll continue to play most of the games because he's still our best CF.  So where does that leave the other three?  Itten and Roofe need game time to learn the formation, system, and what it's like playing against Scottish opposition.  Defoe's development had ended.  Defoe got the game time yesterday so you do wonder when Roofe and Itten will get their chance.  

If Itten doesn't get regular football here he'll be dropped from the Swiss international team.  Will he be happy with that?  Will he be happy sitting on the bench most of the season?  The manager needs to play the guy at some point.

15 minutes ago, TMB said:

We only had Morelos and Defoe last season.  Morelos looked certain to leave during the summer window.  So the club gives Defoe a years extension and brings in two new strikers which cost the bulk of our summer transfer budget.  I think if Morelos was sold in the summer Rangers could've, and probably would've, went in to this season with three strikers: Defoe, Itten, and Roofe.  But Morelos has stayed and he'll continue to play most of the games because he's still our best CF.  So where does that leave the other three?  Itten and Roofe need game time to learn the formation, system, and what it's like playing against Scottish opposition.  Defoe's development had ended.  Defoe got the game time yesterday so you do wonder when Roofe and Itten will get their chance.  

If Itten doesn't get regular football here he'll be dropped from the Swiss international team.  Will he be happy with that?  Will he be happy sitting on the bench most of the season?  The manager needs to play the guy at some point.

Its October mate. The squad will be crucial over the long run. Injuries, form, suspensions, etc will all hit us, to an extent already have.

Defoe will play some league games. Morelos will play plenty league and euro games, Roofe needs to get back to full fitness and Itten will undoubtedly get more opportunities as the games come thick and fast.

Its no big deal, the manager doesn't NEED to play anyone for any reason other than them being his pick for a game.  Delighted with the 4 options he has / will have.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

you sure Swally?

53FA5234-58B1-47E0-8340-8AF9154A74AB.gif.4ac1adc007fdde9514b957f498761e31.gif

i've used many colourful words to describe various moments of magic created by players of our past,

but i've never used the word sublime, always sounded a bit of a gay word to me :lol:

2 minutes ago, Swally said:

i've used many colourful words to describe various moments of magic created by players of our past,

but i've never used the word sublime, always sounded a bit of a gay word to me :lol:

"That new Barbara Streisand album is sublime"

Aye, now that I read it out loud it does sound heavy gay.

42 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

"That new Barbara Streisand album is sublime"

Aye, now that I read it out loud it does sound heavy gay.

ashamed i used it tbh

i'll have to hump the wife a few times to recover from that i think 

5 hours ago, TMB said:

Aye Morelos will play most of the games.....until he's suspended. It appeared at first that he had learned to control himself but his display against the scum showed that nothing has changed. The manager has warned him in the past about his churlish behaviour and sometimes he is a disgrace to the Rangers jersey. I wonder how Mr Struth would have dealt with him?

Archived