Earliest memories of Ibrox

Unionblue

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same as you mate. Back end of Centennial Stand in 70? Or maybe  71? On my dad's shoulders with a 100 ft drop behind me and Colin Stein scored a hat trick in his first or second game, ( I'm not a googler). I was already a young fan before that but that age was the beginning of a life time love.

Early 90s, my Dad and Auntie surprised me and my bro with tickets to Rangers vs Aberdeen. Seeing the red bricks for the first time, gazing up at the ground as we approached. My Dad and Auntie laughing at my awe, I must have looked overwhelmed. My bro says I still do that to this day. Ibrox always stuns me, hallowed ground right enough.

2 minutes ago, RockwellGers said:

Early 90s, my Dad and Auntie surprised me and my bro with tickets to Rangers vs Aberdeen. Seeing the red bricks for the first time, gazing up at the ground as we approached. My Dad and Auntie laughing at my awe, I must have looked overwhelmed. My bro says I still do that to this day. Ibrox always stuns me, hallowed ground right enough.

Driving past Ibrox has brought me goosebumps my entire life. I can't explain it.

Liverpool in a friendly, probably 2007 id say. Robbie Keane played for them iirc. Id never been to a proper stadium (had been to roots Hall when I lived in Essex as a kid but) was in awe. Had never seen so many people and the ground was spectacular. 13 years old and I knew it was a special place. Got my first season ticket a year or two later, sadly the guy I travelled with stopped going and I've only made sporadic trips up since, being skint 95% of the time and working so much means I dont get to go as much as I'd like but ill never forget my first trip to ibrox. 

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

I remember seeing McCoist scoring 3 against Grasshopper.  I also seen Rangers v Ajax. That’s about it.

I've been over 200's times mate but the way you describe being there once or twice is the same as every bear who ever stepped foot on our hallowed grounds. It is special and never gets old.

Late sixties v hibs, two things I remember from it were, the water running down the stairs which I later figured out was folk pishing and a car with a smashed windscreen on the bridge next to where the wee Rangers club is now. I honestly can't remember a thing about the game. 

Just remember being impressed by the glass staircase and thinking it looked so modern, I never went to my first Rangers game till 96 was about 11 can mind the feeling of the butterflies of walking up the steps out into the club deck I think it was, to be greeted with this huge stadium and what looked like an emaculate pitch. Still a very impressive stadium to this day hope it never changes.

1986. My dad getting me a plainish red, white and blue scarf from a seller. Wore it for years, but have since lost it, which I'm sad about. 

Going through the turnstile. Was a bit afraid because they were claustrophobic to a wee guy. Used to imagine the wee corridor they're in would close and squash me.

The contrast of that entrance to the wide open spaces of the stands and pitch. Sitting in the Broomy front right behind the goal. The colours of the seats; blue, brown, yellow, red, orange. All seemed so bright. 

Ian Redford celebrating Dundee Utd's winner right up against the netting of the goal right in front of me. 

Was all big and impressive and different and new. Hooked from the start.

Started going to the match in the mid 60’s with my dad. Used to meet up and stand with other members of the family in the Enclosure (in front of the second pole from the dugout towards the Rangers end).  

Early memories

The few times I went into the Ground (terracing) and being able to walk around at half-tIme to be at the end where Rangers were attacking.

Trying to get reliable information on what was happening in the celtic game, particularly if the rumour came round that they were getting beat.

There seemed to be an inordinate number of elderly men / pensioners in the crowd all dressed in grey overcoats and bunnets whatever time of the year or weather

Getting lifted over to get in and it saddens me to say it was the only ground in Glasgow and Lanarkshire where we got any resistance to doing this.  Got to the point where I was under orders to get on my heels as soon as I got lifted over so they couldn’t stop me.

Standing outside the pub waiting for my old man.

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Fuck! and I thought I was getting auld! Glad your memory is in tact mate 😁 Here's to another 50 years of Rangers memories 👍

I think a lot of folk are gonna run out of likes on this thread, nostalgia at it's finest 🇬🇧🇬🇧

Other memories the first few years... sitting in the wooden seats of the family section in the old Main Stand.

Seem to have some memory of Hibs fans in the Broomy end of the Main Stand setting off flares or something. May be a childhood exaggeration. Dunno why they'd have been sat in the Main Stand either. Must be a nonsense memory.

Getting 2 pies each game and a bar of that cheap tasting chocolate. Liked it but.

Going to reserve game. One of them to a bit, must've been some kind of hospitality or something, in the main stand where you went for cakes and stuff downstairs in a wood panelled area at half time. 

My earliest memories are when I was travelling along Edmiston Drive going to and from my grandparents house.   That would be in the 1950s, probably 1954 or 1955 earliest memory.  They lived in Moss Road and it was only about a mile away in a straight line.  They lived there until they died in the 1960s.  Sometimes walked to a few games in mid 1960s if a game was on when we were visiting.    Earliest memories of being inside  the Stadium was in late 1950s probably 1959 as my neighbours used to take me along (my dad wasn't a football fan).  They would initially take me to the enclosure as it was thought less of a crush in there.  Got passed down to the front over the top of fans as were many other youngsters.  I loved it and I wish I could thank those neighbours properly today.   My mum's family were from Govan and all Rangers fans but I lived in Sandyhills on the opposite side of the city so these guys took me instead.

First game was when I was about 6 in the 80s.

Guy from my class took 5 of us to Rangers v St Mirren for his birthday. Think it was Govan Rear we must have been in.

As a wee guy the thing I couldn't get away with was outside, busy as fuck and everyone going in different directions but everybody being decent to each other. "On you go wee man, after you."

2 hours ago, TMB said:

I remember seeing McCoist scoring 3 against Grasshopper.  I also seen Rangers v Ajax. That’s about it.

Was two, pretty sure that was the only goals he ever scored in the group stages. He did score a Hatrick in Russia in qualification round I'm sure.

5 hours ago, TMB said:

You need to re-jog your memory....McCoist scored 2 in a 2-1 victory.....I trust you were very young TMB 

Archived