Earliest memories of Ibrox

Unionblue

Getting a bus from Easterhouse to town then walking to Ibrox...Subway if I was flush!

First team or reserves...Didn't matter to me, I'd still head over.

Wee disabled motors around the track, pish running down the terracing, wooden benches in the Centenary stand, Macaroon bars, Cold meat rolls, Wrigleys chewing gum, lift over, beer cans flying through the air, hanging about outside main doors to see the players, taking a flask of tomato soup in the winter:lol: Oh and a wee battery tranny to listen to the other scores.

Loads more memories that I will take to the grave and as said earlier, I still get a wee bit of pee coming out everytime I pass the ground.:UK:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember walking up the steps from the concourse into the Broomloan or Copland stand and standing in awe at ‘seeing’ the atmosphere. It was a 0-0 draw against either St Johnstone or Hearts. :lol: 

I was with my dad, uncle and brother. It was fucking Baltic.

First Gers game was 82 against Aberdeen. Gubbed 3 0. However my first game at Ibrox was a Scotland Wales under 21s a few months earlier, sitting in brown section of the Govan which iirc Scotland won 1 0. Rangers starlet Iain Ferguson, not of 9iar fame, scored the winner. 

10 hours ago, mrmojorisin said:

East Enclosure £3.50 

Late 80s ? 

My first game was around 88 ,4 quid for the same .

First memory though was when I was about 4 ,wasn’t at the game though ,walked past wi my old man taking me to Bellahouston park to the carnival ,Even then the red brick remains one of my most vivid memories from my young days ,That and the fear of the underground in the old carriages 😂

12 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Late 80s ? 

My first game was around 88 ,4 quid for the same .

First memory though was when I was about 4 ,wasn’t at the game though ,walked past wi my old man taking me to Bellahouston park to the carnival ,Even then the red brick remains one of my most vivid memories from my young days ,That and the fear of the underground in the old carriages 😂

Yeah mate.....was still at school 

Must have been around 82/83 maybe 

My primary school was across the road from the Stadium so I saw Ibrox every day in the mid to late 60's and had an autograph book crammed full . First memories of going and getting lifted over would've been around 1968, certainly there for Colin Steins debut.

Rangers 2 - 3 Arbroath.  February 1974, my first game.  The Parlane family were family friends and Derek got me (and my dad) tickets for my first ever game for my birthday, Main Stand right beside the Directors box.  Derek scored a pen and he waved to the Main Stand (I like to think it was to me, but his family were there too!).  Fantastic day only spoiled by the score.

First game was a league match vs Hearts in 1984 (I was 5)  but one that really sticks in my mind more for the strips than anything else was the game vs Boavista in '86 (googled it, 23/10/86).  Sat in the red seats at the back of the Govan. 

Now a season book holder with ma boy and rarely (apart from Killie) I dont get a thrill from going to the game 

Remember going to my first game, a League Cup Group Stage at home to Queen of the South in 1963 which we won 5-2. Davie Wilson getting a couple & a young 18yr old Jim Forrest who'd scored 2 v celtic a few days earlier scoring.

The final group stage game was v Kilmarnock at home which we drew 2-2. I remember my Dad & Grandad laughing & joking afterward as celtic were relying on a Rangers win which would see them qualify if they won their game which they did, but lost out on goal aggregate.  :whistle:

17 hours ago, RockwellGers said:

Early 90s, my Dad and Auntie surprised me and my bro with tickets to Rangers vs Aberdeen. Seeing the red bricks for the first time, gazing up at the ground as we approached. My Dad and Auntie laughing at my awe, I must have looked overwhelmed. My bro says I still do that to this day. Ibrox always stuns me, hallowed ground right enough.

I never forget that no matter how bad the weather, no matter how dreary the game might be, every Rangers home game will be some child's first ever game and their first experience of our stadium and what it means to be one of us.

Rangers v Dunfermline 1968 Orjan Perrson scored two goals I was 7 years of age remember getting asked did I want a glossy team group photo or one of John Greig, needless to say John Greig was my favourite player and still is👍

My first Rangers game at Ibrox was in 1998. We played Parma and drew 1-1. 

Don't remember anything of the match itself. Our seats were in the club deck toward the Broomloan end. 

The memory of Ibrox that has forever stuck with me is when I walked out into the seating area and saw the inside of Ibrox for the first time. I had seen it before countless times on TV and in photos but this just blew my little 7 year old brain. Every time I climb those steps and see Ibrox open up in front of me I feel like I'm a little kid again. My dad isn't here anymore but for a moment it feels like he is there with me again. 

Getting taken to the games by my Older Brother and being lifted over at the turnstiles, used to meet up with my Uncle and Cousin both sadly no longer with us who would come down from East Kilbride on the Calderwood Bus from The Salmon Leap.

Always bottom of Stairway 2

Midweek games in the dark, walking down Edmiston Drive from Helen Street with the floodlights shining through the mist or light fog, absolutely magical as a youngster. 

Chipmunk Crisps, Macaroon Bars, Spearmint Chewing Gum, Invalid Cars round the track, Halftime scores on the perimeter wall checked in the programme, square goalposts. 👍

My gran lived in Ibrox Terrace less than 200yards from the stadium so from a young age my brother and myself used to run up the stairs at half time (mid 60's). The first I remember was against Motherwell. The first full match was v Aberdeen in 1966 when we won 3-0.

9 minutes ago, Zappa6995 said:

Getting taken to the games by my Older Brother and being lifted over at the turnstiles, used to meet up with my Uncle and Cousin both sadly no longer with us who would come down from East Kilbride on the Calderwood Bus from The Salmon Leap.

Always bottom of Stairway 2

Midweek games in the dark, walking down Edmiston Drive from Helen Street with the floodlights shining through the mist or light fog, absolutely magical as a youngster. 

Chipmunk Crisps, Macaroon Bars, Spearmint Chewing Gum, Invalid Cars round the track, Halftime scores on the perimeter wall checked in the programme, square goalposts. 👍

There was always a big cheer went up if the ball hit a car & bounced along the row. Not very pc in those days  :lol:

Archived