Earliest memories of Ibrox

Unionblue

First game was 1986 aged 4... I remember being lifted over the turnstiles to get in by my da and how bone chilling cold it was in the East enclosure. Didn’t stop me shouting cmon Rangers all game but I didn’t have a clue what was going on... instantly hooked🇬🇧

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jamess said:

The half time scores coming out  and the boys at the front banging on them as drums. Needing a programme to work them out. Wouldn't catch me down the front without a safety helmet

Not an earliest memory for me as i go back a wee bit but a memory i'll never forget was watching the wee guys wheeling out the half-time scores in their wheelbarrow one Saturday afternoon while we were standing in the old Derry area of Ibrox.

Rangers were playing Motherwell that day and had just been booed off the park. The date was 23rd of October 1971.

The guy at the Rangers end puts the score in slot A.

Partick Thistle 4 v 0 celtic.

Cue bedlam all around Ibrox with Rangers being cheered back on to the park and going on to score 4 in a comfortable 2nd half performance.

3 hours ago, ps95v7 said:

Rangers v Dunfermline 1968 Orjan Perrson scored two goals I was 7 years of age remember getting asked did I want a glossy team group photo or one of John Greig, needless to say John Greig was my favourite player and still is👍

was that the game where Perrson scored direct from a corner kick in front of the Shed?

My first game was a reserve v Clyde about 1969 ,and one of their players had what looked like a big ginger affro with some calling him Little Mary Quite Contrary . The only player I remember was Eric Sorensen.  

Went to another reserve game v c....c on a Wednesday night because Jim Baxter was playing . Only time I got to see him in the flesh and the game ended 1-1 . 

First big game was about 1970 against Hearts on a Wednesday night where we won 3-2 after being 3 goals up . 

One of the things I remember was all the old codgers in the Main stand stamping their feet anytime we got a corner . 

My love for Rangers started with my first visit to Ibrox, no game on, just an empty stadium. 

It was an afternoon in May 1965 when I was down at a school camp in Aberfoyle (from Shetland) I was just  a week or two short of 12 year old and one day on a visit to Glasgow our bus on the way back stopped at Ibrox and we manged to get in to see the stadium, even as it was then it blew me away and I was smitten.

I have always wondered if the driver was a Rangers fan because it seemed something that happened out of the 'blue', we knew the other places we were visiting that day but were never told about Ibrox, I am so grateful to whoever made that happen because Rangers have played a huge part in my life ever since.

My first game was in the early 80's, I think it was against Hibs. 

Since moving to the mainland in 1998 I have managed to make up for all these years just listening to the radio and watching us on TV.  :rangers:

10 hours ago, Colonel H VC said:

First Gers game was 82 against Aberdeen. Gubbed 3 0. However my first game at Ibrox was a Scotland Wales under 21s a few months earlier, sitting in brown section of the Govan which iirc Scotland won 1 0. Rangers starlet Iain Ferguson, not of 9iar fame, scored the winner. 

The Ian Ferguson of blonde streak fame 

My first memories are going with my dad on a supporters bus from Kilmarnock in around 1969, I can remember standing on empty beer cans to see game, the wee blue bubble cars at the back of the goals, my dad used to lift me over the turnstile, we used to have a sweep on the bus, hated if I picked an opposition number. Can still remember getting Eric Sorenson autograph at front doors.

Ossasuna, 1985/86 season. Bus journey from Haddington took fuckin ages. Spent the last 3 miles literally asking "are we there yet". Into the East Enclosure just as kick off happened. Place was rammed and I was near the back. Saw fuck all of the pitch until Paterson scored about 15 minutes into the second half....Absolute bedlam! Ended up near the front. Lost everyone I was with, and only found them again when everyone left at the end of the game! Fuckin loved it!! :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Ossasuna, 1985/86 season. Bus journey from Haddington took fuckin ages. Spent the last 3 miles literally asking "are we there yet". Into the East Enclosure just as kick off happened. Place was rammed and I was near the back. Saw fuck all of the pitch until Paterson scored about 15 minutes into the second half....Absolute bedlam! Ended up near the front. Lost everyone I was with, and only found them again when everyone left at the end of the game! Fuckin loved it!! :thumbsup:

The rain that night was of biblical proportions. Big Wallace said after the game it was like the monsoons in the jungle.

1 minute ago, Colonel H VC said:

The rain that night was of biblical proportions. Big Wallace said after the game it was like the monsoons in the jungle.

That's right.....I remember now being relatively sheltered at the back of the enclosure but getting fuckin drenched when we scored!! :lol: Probably why it was so rammed at the back!

My first ever game was a 2-0 win against Dundee, Ricksen and Cannigia (I think, might have been Mols) scored. 
what a buzz it was going up they steps to a packed Ibrox belting out the the tunes, I’ll never forget that feeling 🇬🇧

6 hours ago, Essandoh said:

I’m pretty sure there’s a photo of that goal recently posted in the Rangers Picture Thread by @Don54

It was against Stirling Albion, Ibrox 16th of March 1968.

Persson scored a hat-trick in that game.

cFvyCaB.thumb.jpg.6833c5cfd47e48ab09ed6a3f124343b6b.jpg.1d633d3410be413b73935bf2d0818ad1.jpg.40b21242acfff6526c029e63dec99e87.jpg

Going to my first game with my dad, uncle and cousin, and standing in what was the Derry shed and later became the centenary stand.  I think it was against Kilmarnock sometime around 1962/63. Never realised then how important The Rangers were to become to me.  Stood with my mates for years in the Derry shed and then moved to the copland Rd. end when the shed was seated.  Now sit in Govan Rear almost on halfway line with my son very near me as well.  It's a family thing and hopefully soon my grandson will join us.

Once a Ranger, always a Ranger.

WATP GSTQ

Think I was about 4.. I lived quite a bit outside of Glasgow at the time but we were down visiting family, so my dad took me on a drive to see it. We stopped and done a walk round and managed to bump in to Richard Gough, who took us into the reception area since it was freezing. Got an autograph and a photo which is still up my mums I think!

My first memory of Ibrox was when my dad was working in Glasgow and living on Copland Road. For my birthday he got us tickets for the Coca-Cola Cup game against Falkirk. We won 4 1, it was a McCoist hattrick if I can recall and a goal by Stensaas. 

All game we had a guy in front of us screaming out fuck off you Falkirk! I fucking loved it. It was my first ever game too. 

My dad could only get 1 ticket for the next game and asked if I wanted to go alone. I shite it and said no. We got back to his flat later on in the day to see that Negri had scored 5 past Dundee United, I was gutted I missed it. 

On 28/10/2020 at 02:18, hammer93 said:

1977 Twente Enschede in a 0-0 draw....my dad gave me a lift over into the broomloan Rd 

I remember going to the away game in Holland. I was was living down south & Chair of the Cambridgeshire branch. Three of us went over but could only get tickets for the home end. We tried to climb over the fence to get to the away end which was spiked railings & I got caught halfway over with a spike through my trousers perilously close to my groin. The whole end started whistling & oooing & I had a bottle of something in one hand which I had to let go of to free myself. :unsure:

Had a good drink & a sing song with a couple of old Glenavon fans on the way over, who were 6-2 down from the first leg at home. Saw them again on the way back a bit worse for wear. I seem to remember they'd lost the second leg 5-0 or something?  Still, as they said - it was a nice wee away trip  :lol:

Archived