Out of contract at end of season

Raligt

Out of contract at end of season  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you offer a new deal to?

• Mcgregor 39
    • Defoe 38
    • Davis 36
    • Firth 25
    • Stewart 31
    • Balogun 33
    • Barjonas 22
    • Mebude 20

A bit early in the season i will admit but had been playing on my mind. I have put their ages at end of season.

Personally i would only offer Mcgregor or Davis an extra year, at a push Balogun if he continues to perform well

The rest can go imo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to keep defoe as a coach in some capacity. Balogun as he hasn't let us down and a decent age for a back up cb probably on lowish wages and maybe mebude not seen much of him but I know there were high hopes for him at one point. 

Defoe is definitely getting a player coach gig (jobs for the boys days :P ) 

I would be very happy to see him move to the dugout next season and still be a 3/4th choice backup.. 

Balogun keeps performing and we really should offer an extension... Davis get s a contract for as long as he is fit enough and I think he will play a part next season too

If we don't win the league im not sure the new manager will want any of them :whistle:

If we do win the league, 😁🙏💪then McGregor and Balogun for me, I'm not sure Davis or Defoe will have the legs for another full season, and the others can be improved on.

This is a question none of us can really answer. Depends on the fitness of the individual imo, not the age. 

If you ask someone like Defoe how he’s feeling physically and he tells you he feels great then that will impact your decision. If he’s still playing at a high level then why not keep him?

If McGregor tells you he’s finding it difficult doing this or that and that he always feels like he’s carrying an injury then likewise you’d take than into account.

Don’t think it makes much sense to extend any of them. Balogun looks good but we want Katic and Edmundson to be right behind Goldson and Helander so they can continue developing.

McGregor could probably handle another season but I reckon our plan is to make McLaughlin #1 and encourage McCrorie to start challenging him for the shirt. 

I’d love to see Defoe join the coaching team but maybe he’d rather move back down south once he stops playing.

I know its early to judge but tbh in the right role and on the right wages I can see the 4 older players staying on for 1 more season. 

Mcgregor Davis Balogun have shown so far that they can still contribute well on the pitch and no doubt off it, and Defoe in some sort of player coaching role will be very beneficial to our strikers imo.

8 minutes ago, WilliamMunny said:

I know its early to judge but tbh in the right role and on the right wages I can see the 4 older players staying on for 1 more season. 

Mcgregor Davis Balogun have shown so far that they can still contribute well on the pitch and no doubt off it, and Defoe in some sort of player coaching role will be very beneficial to our strikers imo.

Not for me. Kamara etc should have matured plenty by 21/22 and should be taking over from the likes of Davis and Shagger imo.

New deal for Balogun, Katic returns and send Edmundson on loan for a season would be good business imo. Have Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Katic as our 4.

McGregor... maybe. 

Davis... We should start preparing for life without him, but he has been good this season.... I would say if Zungu delivers and stays fit, then sign him and leave Davis. However if Zungu doesn't work out then maybe keep Davis an extra year to reduce risk. But I'm leaning towards a no either way tbh. 

The rest should go. Defoe has been excellent for us and could stay I reckon, but the wage is too high to be a 4th choice striker. If Itten/Roofe step up and show they're capable of being main men, then could maybe sell Morelos, go with Itten, Roofe and Defoe as 3rd choice and invest Morelos money elsewhere. 

Archived