Brilliant man. That was a tough, tough game.

British_Empire

51 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

On another night we could easily have lost that game, we dug in and got the 3 points in the bag that will hopefully go towards getting us out the group stages.

Collectively we are much more professional and even on a night we have a few players below par we have others who can step up to the plate and win the game for us.

Good 3 points.

good to see you back

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

I could have handled him starting (or not) tonight because Europe is a different game domestically. I thought Jack was excellent in Liege for example - as well as other European games.

However, he can't start at Rugby Park on Sunday. I don't want to be hard on him (I know I always comment on him and I do come across as I've issues/picking on him - I don't mean to) but if starts then I think we drop the points.

For Sunday, against a rigid, well-drilled Kilmarnock side, on that pitch then we need the mixture and tempo of Davis, Kamara and/or Arfield/Aribo - either is fine with me.

Tbh, I think we give Kilmarnock way too much credit. On our day (present not past tense), it doesn't matter which players  we play. We will beat them. We are too good.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Tbh, I think we give Kilmarnock way too much credit. On our day (present not past tense), it doesn't matter which players  we play. We will beat them. We are too good.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just my opinion - I wouldn't chance it and risk undoing all the good work.

We've won 8 games in a row. That's not been done since last time we won the title (I know 3/4 of these have been in Europe though) but it's just something to consider. 

The good thing is now we have options. Tonight ended up not being roofes type of game, but that was fine because we had a completely different option to bring on in Morelos, and it was his type of game. Hagi wasn’t working out so we could bring on Aribo. Then we can bring in arguably the best CM at the club to just see out the game. Fucking love the depth we have now. 

Just now, ZZed said:

good to see you back

Cheers pal, appreciated.

It's good to be back and see threads discussing our options because we have so many. The squad is looking really strong this season and even when Stevie is rotating players we are still winning. However i'd like to see a more settled side, we have our core of regular starters but if other players are performing and are fit again for the next game i'd like to see them rewarded by keeping their place.

The squad as a whole looks really hungry this season and very determined, in comparison to across the city anyway, we need to make it count early in the season and try get out in front in the league.

7 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Cheers pal, appreciated.

It's good to be back and see threads discussing our options because we have so many. The squad is looking really strong this season and even when Stevie is rotating players we are still winning. However i'd like to see a more settled side, we have our core of regular starters but if other players are performing and are fit again for the next game i'd like to see them rewarded by keeping their place.

The squad as a whole looks really hungry this season and very determined, in comparison to across the city anyway, we need to make it count early in the season and try get out in front in the league.

I get the feeling that SG has convinced the whole squad they are part of the first 11 so everyone of them are performing.

1 minute ago, Real Ranger said:

I reckon Jack is a certainty to start against Benfica.

and would be the correct choice too. In fact, I'd be annoyed if he didn't.

I know there's a whiff about Championship Manager of us all here, but for Benfica away, you have to sacrifice Arfield from that midfield spot and go with Davis (for his experience), Kamara for his composure/the space he gets and Jack to keep things simple, neat and tidy (like what Hemdani done for us in away European games) ... then you have Morelos for the striker, Kent and either Arfield, Aribo, Hagi, Roofe as the third one up there. Literally any of them 4 is fine with me tbh.

4 minutes ago, simplythebestest said:

If the longest 20 minutes you've sat through isn't the Ufa game, you didn't watch the Ufa game :lol: I won't forget that night in a hurry.

I was one of the 40 there :lol: maybe it was all the vodka minis I smuggled into the game that relaxed me and didn't feel it :japanese:

586EAA15-4A2A-4A1E-8EF3-BC07F800CDCA.png

1 hour ago, heathen fish boy said:

Roofe has a wee touch of the Amato about him,doesn't look the fastest but seems to have good strength holding players off and a few wee tricks up his sleeve

I take that as a compliment. Thank you.

I remember alot of people complaining  Jack ,Kamara, Davis as a midfield was too defensive as they were all similar kind of players.

A worry for  me would be if we go too defensive against Benfica we end up in a similar position to that of the last 10-15 mins tonight and with their quality we would be very likely to concede.

Got to carry a decent attacking option  and long balls up to a 5'9 striker like Buff will just end up with them coming right back at us.

1 minute ago, southcoastbear said:

I remember alot of people complaining  Jack ,Kamara, Davis as a midfield was too defensive as they were all similar kind of players.

A worry for  me would be if we go too defensive against Benfica we end up in a similar position to that of the last 10-15 mins tonight and with their quality we would be very likely to concede.

Got to carry a decent attacking option  and long balls up to a 5'9 striker like Buff will just end up with them coming right back at us.

They are. 

But Europe, especially away is a different game than domestically. More open. More patient and more disciplined. They're fine for that.

Games away to Kilmarnock, Livingston etc - hell no.

15 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

and would be the correct choice too. In fact, I'd be annoyed if he didn't.

I know there's a whiff about Championship Manager of us all here, but for Benfica away, you have to sacrifice Arfield from that midfield spot and go with Davis (for his experience), Kamara for his composure/the space he gets and Jack to keep things simple, neat and tidy (like what Hemdani done for us in away European games) ... then you have Morelos for the striker, Kent and either Arfield, Aribo, Hagi, Roofe as the third one up there. Literally any of them 4 is fine with me tbh.

I don’t think Aribo is up to speed yet and as much as I like what Hagi can bring to the team I would go with Davis Jack Kamara and Arfield with Morelos starting before Roofe.

33 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

OP is right about Hagi that was the worst I’ve ever seen him play tonight 

Barisic, 2 good crosses aside was like a man down at the back and needed a lot of help from Kamara,Balogun and Kent. Player of his quality needs to do better

Go to sleep 

1 minute ago, Real Ranger said:

I don’t think Aribo is up to speed yet and as much as I like what Hagi can bring to the team I would go with Arfield and Morelos starting before Roofe.

When push comes to shove, Joe Aribo is our best player.

Archived