Group D: The Table

Virtuoso

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benfica are a very good side.  Anything we get from that double header would be an achievement.  I think it’ll come down to those two final games against Poznan and Standard to get us over the line and in to the knockouts.

Over the years in Europe, we seem to have a pretty good record of doing well  in the first couple of group stage games.  Unfortunately,  we have tended to fall away in the later stage games.  Hopefully this season, like last year, we go on and finish the job.  Be good if we did it with a game or two to spare this time.

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Can’t expect to take anything from Benfica - anything we do is a bonus. 

ideall the Poznan v Liege games are both draws and we’d be all but through. 

Respectfully disagree, we can beat them at Ibrox, and get a draw away, far from being unrealistic. Benfica should be the ones wondering how they get a result against us.

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Can’t expect to take anything from Benfica - anything we do is a bonus. 

ideall the Poznan v Liege games are both draws and we’d be all but through. 

I dunno mate, we shouldn’t be fearing Benfica at Ibrox! We took 4 off Porto last season who had the beating of them! 

Being the underdog suits us but I won’t be in any way surprised to see us take 3 or 4 points off them! 

29 minutes ago, TMB said:

Benfica are a very good side.  Anything we get from that double header would be an achievement.  I think it’ll come down to those two final games against Poznan and Standard to get us over the line and in to the knockouts.

Cheers captain obvious

2 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

Respectfully disagree, we can beat them at Ibrox, and get a draw away, far from being unrealistic. Benfica should be the ones wondering how they get a result against us.

Benfica are a big step up in quality, anything we can take from those games is a bonus if you're being realistic

What ever results we've had against Portuguese teams historically has no bearing on this game.

We beat Porto who ended up being champions last season

We’ll have to play far better than we did tonight to trouble Benfica, though the fact they conceded 2 against Poznan is encouraging I thought Poznan were dreadful 

1 minute ago, GA1972 said:

We beat Porto who ended up being champions last season

We’ll have to play far better than we did tonight to trouble Benfica, though the fact they conceded 2 against Poznan is encouraging I thought Poznan were dreadful 

I thought they were alright

We were quite shite this evening which probably made them look better but they certainly didn't seem dreadful 

Archived