First thoughts when you hear this

ready1873

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, badjon said:

Train up from London on the day, more Russians on the train than us, no bother, sharing vodka in the morning is the normal thing. Didn't have a ticket but meeting up with mates who were lucky, fair play him and his dad had been to all home and aways. Albert square during the day was mad enjoyed that. Game time I went with my mates and then found a pub near the ground to watch. Didn't know Manchester constabulary had kicked off till after. Took me two hours to stumble back and then twenty minutes to be allowed access to our city centre hotel. As  @British_Empire said thought we should have been more up and at Zenit.

Driving down from here in a convoy of 3 family cars. no tickets but we had a hotel (and were aiming for that fucking square with the failed big screens).  Stuck on the motorway because of the amount of traffic, a streaker running by just for the joy of it.  

Too many of my family on that trip are no longer with me so I will never get that back - but I’ll never forget it. 

21 minutes ago, badjon said:

Same with the mates I mentioned. Imagine now, you attend all games home and away and someone who has bumped up the MyGers gets a ticket ahead of you.

I wasn't in the Travel Club that year. The way it used to work, you could find someone in the Travel Club not going and get him to submit an application saying he was going on a bus or something and the tickets would get released that way and passed onto you. Done that a few times.

Just extremely grateful a friend of mine from Bristol was in the Travel Club so his ticket was already sorted, but had some season tickets in different names and some of the tickets got balloted between folk on the CCCS (I think?) and he was lucky again and gave me the ticket as he knew I'd been to them all, including using his ticket for a couple of lesser games that he never went to which kept his Travel Club points up - so he came good for me. 

Look back on that season with pride in the team and support. Also when the sfa/sfl, whatever the fuck they were then showed their true colours by doing nothing to help the club both in the league and Europe.

The hatred from the scum also poured out with all their cheap fake plans trying everything to stop us in Europe plus the league. Bunch of dirty, jealous, cover-up, bitter bastards.

2 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Bittersweet. What should have been the best day in my Rangers supporting life, ended with a whimper.

Disappointed in both Smith and Barry Ferguson. 

I accept that playing cagey and defensive got us to the final but when you make the final, have a go ffs. I just got the feeling that our game plan was to play for extra time or something. Novo should have started. 

Ferguson, for all he roared like a wee lion every other time and captained Rangers teams winning at Parkhead, Scotland beating England at Wembley and mixing it with the world's best in the Champions League, that was never a captains performance. I don't know why. 

The journey was incredible. Think we played something like 65 games that season. Was at every one. Some of the best trips of my life and some of the best nights of my life so it wasn't all bad. Just bittersweet.

Tbf they had just pumped Bayern, no chance were we changing play style.

Was listening to Ferguson on a podcast and he said that’s his big regret in football(only other one was the Scotland incident because it ruined his Rangers and Scotland career) and that he knew he wasn’t good enough on the night.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Was listening to Ferguson on a podcast and he said that’s his big regret in football(only other one was the Scotland incident because it ruined his Rangers and Scotland career) and that he knew he wasn’t good enough on the night.

and they pumped us too playing defensive ... I'd rather lose 5-0 and get humbled knowing we had a good go in a one off game ... what we did was the worst of both worlds

Was 13 and remember it like yesterday. 

Wasn’t originally meant to go down so was in school with my face tripping. I remember the school office/secretary woman type person coming in my tech drawing class telling me I had to leave for an “urgent emergency”. Never cheered as loud as I did that day.

I loved seeing all the cars with scarfs heading down the M8 onto the M61. Everywhere you looked there were bears, even at the Burger King at the services in the border was mobbed.

The atmosphere in the city was unreal, was a scorcher of a day which made it better. Unfortunately missed the first half due to being in the fanzone where the screen broke but I’d never let that ruin the occasion for me. 

I’ve never watched the game back, I didn’t even know Novo was on the bench until he came on, thought he had already been subbed when I seen the XI at the start of the second half. It was a strange choice not to play him (considering the performance he put in against Dundee United the previous weekend) but IIRC Whittaker was a really good player in Europe in midfield that season. I actually thought we could have won the game. We had a wee spell where Darcheville had a shot saved, Fergie hit the post and Whittaker had a shot blocked which was heading for the net.

Arshavin was the real difference in the end for them.

Greatest car journey of my life on the way down on the Tuesday night. Every motorway bridge covered in our banners and flags. Seemed like every car, bus and truck was full of bears. Stayed the night in Liverpool and got the train from Lyme St. in the morning train packed with bears and a flute band- superb.

Like every other bear got locked in the train station after the game and got out with my pals and managed to get a taxi back to Liverpool- cunt charged us £200. Didn’t know anything about the rammy until watching the news the next morning...

Proved to the world that day that we had the greatest support in football. Truly a great day to be a bear. 

Was at the screen that got ko'd, ended up in a side pub, named after a famous monarch, a forget exactly who, but me dundee bears there, had a good time with them, cam out at half time to bit of running and shouting, then full time to walking on broken glass everywhere 🙈

We stayed in Blackpool. Drove down about 6am so when we got there the landlady was still serving breakfast and she did us a fryup.
Wandered down to the station about 9ish and the queue was massive. Got a carry out and settled in. Queue hardly moved for hours as there were only 2 smallish trains an hour. Eventually they started sending buses but we were hearing about chaos on the roads so sat it out at the station. Eventually got into town mid afternoon. I remember coming through the station and the noise was incredible with folk singing from the upper level.

Got out the station and tried to top up the carry out but every shop was stripped bare - absolutely fuck all left.

Got into Albert Square and was able to buy beers at the bar (for a while).

After the game the atmosphere changed pretty quick - lots of police, helicopter etc but I didn’t see any real trouble - nothing you wouldn’t see on a normal Saturday night.

Station was grim so left to find a taxi. Wandered for an hour, found nothing so went back. Finally got to Blackpool about 2:30am. Great day and I only found out about the screen failing etc at breakfast the next day.  
Always regretted that we didn’t score a goal - the place would have gone nuts. 

On 31/10/2020 at 01:13, British_Empire said:

Bittersweet. What should have been the best day in my Rangers supporting life, ended with a whimper.

Disappointed in both Smith and Barry Ferguson. 

I accept that playing cagey and defensive got us to the final but when you make the final, have a go ffs. I just got the feeling that our game plan was to play for extra time or something. Novo should have started. 

Ferguson, for all he roared like a wee lion every other time and captained Rangers teams winning at Parkhead, Scotland beating England at Wembley and mixing it with the world's best in the Champions League, that was never a captains performance. I don't know why. 

The journey was incredible. Think we played something like 65 games that season. Was at every one. Some of the best trips of my life and some of the best nights of my life so it wasn't all bad. Just bittersweet.

Very disappointing - I put in more attacking effort than our team in that game, in 2008 I traveled from Cape Town to Manchester.

20 hours ago, Fergie_6 said:

Was at the screen that got ko'd, ended up in a side pub, named after a famous monarch, a forget exactly who, but me dundee bears there, had a good time with them, cam out at half time to bit of running and shouting, then full time to walking on broken glass everywhere 🙈

Very same mate - ended up in a hotel looking down onto the square that some fenian cut the power.

4 minutes ago, BillyG91 said:

Makes me sick watching that game thinking what could've been...

Hope we manage to get that far again.

Smith just got it wrong, deserves all the plaudits for getting there in the first place but deserves criticism as well.

Must be difficult for him to take as well.

On 31/10/2020 at 01:29, ForeverAndEver said:

If we had opened up i think zenit would have destroyed us, theres a reason we played defensively all tournament, 

Archived